• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Help with new Routine

R

Raw

Does anyone know a good routine for someone who has just finished building a strong foundation. Ive been lifting for 3 months and I have received great results from my routine before but I just can't seem to settle on a new one. Im too afraid that im going to undertrain or overtrain.

All the help with be apreciated.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
If you were recieving great results from your routine why stop and change it? Carry on until progress ceases, then evaluate and try something else.

R

Raw

You make a great point. I think im going to try a 3 day a week full body routine though. The one I was doing before was 2 days of light weight hitting certain muscles using compound exercise and then 2 day full body with heavier weights and lower rep range(all in the same week of course).

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I prefer to do a little of each type of rep range in a FB workout.

If you have three fullbody sessions then you start with the heavy movement, which will cycle through a squat, deadlift and bench (e.g. only). Then you do a medium rep for the exercise that was the heavy the last training day and a light high rep exercise for the one that will be heavy next session. Then do some accessories each day (arms, calves, shoulder health stuff).

E.g.
day1 - 5x5 back squat, 3x8 chinup, 2x20 SLDL
day2 - 3x8 split squat/lunge, 5x5 deadlift, 2x20 inverted row
day3 - 2x20 stepup, 5x5 row, 3x8 GM

R

Raw

I had somthing like this planned

Day 1
3x12 squat
3x12 Dumbell bp
3x12 Chin up
1x12 Shoulder press
1x12 close bp
1x12 Pull up
2x12 calves

Abs are in between days totaling 3 days of abs

Day2
3x8 Barbell Bp
3x8 chins
3x8 squat
1x8 close bp
1x8 pull up
2x8 calves
1x8 shoulder press

Day3
3x6 chins
3x6 squat
3x6 Barbell Bp
1x6 pull up
1x6 shoulder press
1x6 close bp
2x6 calves

I really feel like i need to form some kind of better routine.
Any suggestions to change will be great.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ The problem with doing it like that is that all your heavy work is on one day and means the other days are kinda pedestrian.

Also there is SFA difference between 6 and 8 reps. Try the ranges I suggested or perhaps sets of 5, 10 and 15.

Another point, you have no hamstring work at all in that program.

R

Raw

I think I see what you are talking about now.

Somthing like this?

Squat 5x5
Dumbell Bench press 5x8
Bent over row 2x15
Sldl 2x15

Squat 3x8
Dumbell bp 2x15
Bent over row 5x5
Sldl 3x5

Squat 3x10
Barbell bp 5x5
Bent over row 3x8
Sldl 3x8

I superset my arms and shoulders. They will set up same way with heavier and lighter days.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Why not split them into a squat day, deadlift day and bench day where you do heavy sets of that movement and then RE work for everything else afterwards. This is pretty much what Tim meant. Start with your heavy movement first then do variations of the other movements after.

Eg. on squat day work up to a heavy triple. Then do a few medium rep sets of SLDLs and some high rep DB presses. Add back, delt and arm work at the end. Next is bench day. Work up to a heavy triple on the flat bench, then follow with medium rep front squats and high rep pull throughs, etc.

This way you have some variation to the movement each day and you can adjust these to focus on your weaknesses.

R

Raw

ahh ok I understand now.

Thanks for the help.