I don't know how many of you have seen the movie Zodiac, but it is easily one of my favorites. It's based on the true events of a serial killer in the late 60's/early 70's who called himself the Zodiac and killed at random.
All the top investigators of the case believe Arthur Leigh Allen was the Zodiac, yet when I started browsing online one day, I noticed that a majority of people online claim they "know" it wasn't Arthur Leigh Allen and that it was for certain someone else. It's true that there was no hard evidence on Allen (fingerprints, handwriting, etc). But, there was more than enough circumstancial evidence to pin it on him.
I started jotting down a list of all the circumstancial evidence I could find, this is what I came up with.
- Arthur Leigh Allen lived only 7 minutes away from the Zodiac's first murder scene.
- Arthur Leigh Allen lived only 4 minutes away from the Zodiac's second murder scene.
- Arthur Leigh Allen's brother (Ron Allen) says Arthur was given a "Zodiac" watch at Christmas of 1967.
- Arthur Leigh Allen's former friend (Don Cheney) said they had a conversation before the murders first started taking place, where Arthur admitted he would go around killing random teenagers in the night and he would send letters to the newspapers to "mess" with them. He also told Don Cheney that he would call himself the Zodiac.
- Another former friend (named Phil) said Arthur always talked about "hunting man" because Arthur felt people were more challenging to hunt than animals, because of their intelligence.
- Arthur Leigh Allen's favorite book was "The Most Dangerous Game," where a man named "Dr. Z" went around hunting man, because it was more of a challenge.
- Before the murders started taking place, Arthur Leigh Allen showed a former friend and his wife papers with codes drawn on them. Later on, when these friends were shown the codes written by the Zodiac, they said it closely matched Arthur Leigh Allen's.
- The Zodiac spelled Christmas as "X-Mass" which is the exact way Arthur Leigh Allen spells it.
- The Zodiac once wrote "bussy work" in one of his letters, which was an expression used by school teachers. Arthur Leigh Allen was a school teacher up till 1968.
- The first murder of 1968 took place at a very depressing time of Arthur's life. He had just lost his job eight months prior for being a pedophile, and the murder took place on December 20, 1968. His birthday is on December 18, which means the murder took place in between his birthday and Christmas. The two most depressing times of the year for most people.
- Arthur was known to park and drink in rural setting such as Lake Herman Road (where the first Zodiac murder took place). Not only that, but Arthur Leigh Allen always kept a gun inside his car.
- The young woman murdered by the Zodiac on July 4th, 1969 (name was Darlene) worked at a restaurant located just 1/10th of a mile from Arthur Leigh Allen's house.
- According to Darlene's friends, Darlene had a friend named "Lee" or "Leigh." Arthur Leigh Allen always went by the name Leigh.
- According to Arthur's former friend Don Cheney, Arthur Leigh Allen once pointed out a girl at the restaurant where Darlene worked, claiming he was "gonna get with her" or "gonna do something to her," Don can't remember what the girl looked like, so he can't confirm it was Darlene. All he can remember is that she was cute and looked like a nice girl.
- The survivor of the murder by the Zodiac on July 4, 1969 (Mike Mageau), pointed to a picture of Arthur Leigh Allen in 1991 and said "that's him! that's the man who shot me!" It was the first time he had looked at suspects.
- Mike Mageau said the Zodiac was driving a corvair. Arthur Leigh Allen had a friend with a corvair, which he would let Arthur drive on occasion. The friend also stated he had left the car in the same place for one week during the summer of 1969, and that Arthur Leigh Allen may have had access to the keys.