• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

I´m worried (yet another squat thread)

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
My ATG squat jumped from 150x8 to 220x5 in a 1.5 months. I fear something will pop one of these days because It´s just way too fast.

Same thing happened with my deadlift. It sky rocked and then I injured myself. What do I do ?

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Perhaps a mod could merge this into the squat form thread?

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
well for one if your constantly thinking your going to get injured i`m pretty sure it WILL happen, the mind has a very strong effect on the body, so your first bet would be to stop being so negative.

secondly... why dont you take a short break if your worried aswell as re-examine your form. thats what i would do.

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Congrats on the gains! That's very impressive. So... What's the secret? :)

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
My ATG squat jumped from 150x8 to 220x5 in a 1.5 months. I fear something will pop one of these days because It´s just way too fast.

Same thing happened with my deadlift. It sky rocked and then I injured myself. What do I do ?

By 150 to 220 do you mean kilograms or pounds?

Because 70lbs (really only about 40 as less reps) isn't a lot if you have gotten used to squatting in this manner. Or alternatively if you aren't going as deep as you were 1.5 months ago.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
in Lbs.

I am squatting as deep as I was 1.5 months ago. And I still haven´t gotten properly used to squatting ATG.

The secret lol ? I eat a lot xD

co05

co05

As long as your form is tight, I don't see how anything could go wrong. If your squat poundage increased and you kept your form consistent it's probably a good indicator of progress.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
As long as your form is tight, I don't see how anything could go wrong. If your squat poundage increased and you kept your form consistent it's probably a good indicator of progress.

Plenty can go wrong.

Connective tissue is far slower to hypertrophy and adapt than muscle tissue. You can end up with muscles that are far stronger than the connective tissues and the bone attachments (I've personally seen, in teenagers, muscles tear off the bone by removing a chunk of the bone). Get strong too fast and you can do damage.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Plenty can go wrong.

Connective tissue is far slower to hypertrophy and adapt than muscle tissue. You can end up with muscles that are far stronger than the connective tissues and the bone attachments (I've personally seen, in teenagers, muscles tear off the bone by removing a chunk of the bone). Get strong too fast and you can do damage.

So what do I do ? Just keep the same weight for a month or so ?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Just make sure nothing is hurting and that you aren't using wraps or stupid techniques.

Usually your body will tell you when to stop adding weight to the bar.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
co05

co05

Plenty can go wrong.

How common is that? I've heard of that possibility but I've never heard of it discussed as if it were a regular occurrence.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ A few of the papers on sports injuries have posited that a lot of the muscle tears and pulls are due to protection of connective tissue and joints.

So if this is even half close to the truth then you could account for a lot of the soft tissue injuries being due to inhibition conpensatory tears.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Just make sure nothing is hurting and that you aren't using wraps or stupid techniques.

Usually your body will tell you when to stop adding weight to the bar.

Well, I´ve been feeling an overall aura of uneasiness when squatting lately. As if my structure wasn´t ready or hard enough for the weight I am using.

co05

co05

Perhaps it's a mental sticking point?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well, I´ve been feeling an overall aura of uneasiness when squatting lately. As if my structure wasn´t ready or hard enough for the weight I am using.

So maybe give a few other types of squatting a go for awhile.

There are plenty of types that will allow you to have a decent amount of loading but an overall lighter bar.

Front squats, bulgarian squats, my favourite the split squat, lunges, etc..... All would be good to rotate through for a while and then go back. This will give the body some time to adjust and recuperate a bit.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Oo, oo, Zercher squats.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So maybe give a few other types of squatting a go for awhile.

There are plenty of types that will allow you to have a decent amount of loading but an overall lighter bar.

Front squats, bulgarian squats, my favourite the split squat, lunges, etc..... All would be good to rotate through for a while and then go back. This will give the body some time to adjust and recuperate a bit.

Thanks broseidon.