• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

plz help me!!!!

MaxSteel

MaxSteel

hello...m kind of new to high frequency trainnng...

nd i used to hit each body part..once a week initially...

when i almost reached a plateau..i decide to give the HFT a try..

i hav just started it..nd it has been only 3 weeks..

my weak point is my triceps..nd so i used to train it with lots of sets of 3-4 exercises..initailly....
18 sets to be exact

now...as far as i hav read(i don't think i hav reead enuf..)..but u r suppose to keep the sets limited in HFT...and each set should be of preety high intensity...

considering i have been doin almost 18 sets..for triceps initially...

i m baffled how much i should reduce it to..(considering that the next 6 weeks, my main intention is to add some triceps mass)

how many sets should i do..to avoid over trainning and still make some size gains...

m afraid if that since i hav ben doing to many sets...decreasing the number of sets...should not result in under-training...

plz help me ...i m desperate need of ur guidence...

thankx in advance..

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What exactly are you doing?

I mean your exercises, sets, reps and relative % of 1RM for each.

MaxSteel

MaxSteel

initally my triceps routine was like this..

4*14-8 rope pushdowns
5*8-6 close grip bench press(drop set on last 2 set)
5*10-6 skull crushers
3*8 single arm dumbell extension
2*12 parralel bar dips

since i was trainning for mass..i thought may be "more is better"...

when i started trainning HFT...i continued doing the same thing (sme no of exercises and sets...ebn though i thought it wld be over-trainning..)

the worst part it...i was so desperate for triceps mass..i thought i'd continue doing this for 5-6 weeks
3 times/ week...
m in my 3rd week now...even though i think i hav added a little more mass to the triceps...

but after reading some articles bout HFT...i think m doing to way many sets...

but..im afraid that since i have done it for some weeks now..if i decrease the number of sets or anything about my triceps workout...i would under-train it(as my triceps would have got used to such high sets trainnig...m lost)..

quiet frankly i don't know..how i shuld plan my workout...to adjust the HFT...

i.e. how to make the transition..from split trainning to HFT...what variables to change...

thankx in advance for ur help...

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
initally my triceps routine was like this..

4*14-8 rope pushdowns
5*8-6 close grip bench press(drop set on last 2 set)
5*10-6 skull crushers
3*8 single arm dumbell extension
2*12 parralel bar dips

I'll say from the start that this is overkill for 3x/wk.

Your best exercises for tri mass are those that allow you to move the most weight. Benching and OH pressing are kings, but for a specific tri work I recommend these:
CG Bench
Weighted Dips
JM Presses

Extensions and cable work are far inferior to these so don't spend too much time focusing on them if any. Use a variety of grip angles to spread the work amongst the muscle heads and if possible include some DB work to avoid imbalances due to a dominant arm.

Here's an example session:
CG Bench 5*4-6 reps (~70-80% 1rm)
Weighted Dips 3*6-10 reps (~60% 1rm)

and if you're desperate for some more sets then do a couple of sets of DB work, eg Lying DB Extensions, Tate Presses or DB JM presses.

MaxSteel

MaxSteel

Here's an example session:
CG Bench 5*4-6 reps (~70-80% 1rm)
Weighted Dips 3*6-10 reps (~60% 1rm)

and if you're desperate for some more sets then do a couple of sets of DB work, eg Lying DB Extensions, Tate Presses or DB JM presses.

thanx el Freako

i think i'll go for..what you are saying...

personally...u just named 3 of my favourite triceps exercises..

close grip bench press
weighted dips
lying Db extension..

m going to try it out...

thanx again...m very grateful...

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I echo Ben's post.

As triceps are a pressing muscle you should be hitting them with a press and then an accessory. This will be each time you train upper body or how-ever you are structured (that's why I wanted to know what your routine looked like, not just the one day or one part).

The idea with more frequency is to spread the load out over the week and hit the muscles with different stimulus from varying exercises and/or varying rep ranges.

Remember not to go to failure on any of the sets.

Also don't be afraid of using single joint accessories for triceps. I prefer rope pushdowns or extensions (less elbow stress) but anything will do. For the major exercise balance between presses like Dips, bench, CG bench, lockouts, floor presses (a new personal fav or mine), etc.

E

emma212

Hey,
According to me, you are already doing a great job...