• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

All Black legend Lomu buffs up for bodybuilding debut

chadcruz

chadcruz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I know a lot of the Americans will be thinking "who"? or simply not give a shit, but for the Aussies/NZers and some of the other guys on this site this story may be of some interest.

All Black legend Lomu buffs up for bodybuilding debut

JONAH Lomu may no longer be a giant on the rugby field but this week the freshly buffed All Black legend takes on a new challenge in a bodybuilding contest.
The 34-year-old's Test career was cut short by a kidney condition that required a transplant in 2004, but this week he will prove he has not lost his thirst for competition by entering the Wellington bodybuilding championships.

Although his rugby career has failed to reignite since the transplant, Lomu has not given up on the game and has signed for French third division side Marseille Vitrolles, which he is due to join in November.

While getting fit for his latest rugby stint, he was persuaded to give this weekend's body building championships a shot, he told the Dominion Post newspaper.

"I just started out wanting to get back in shape and it's just gone from there,'' Lomu said.

"I've always loved lifting weights, just ask the All Blacks, so it's been a lot of fun.

"I can't wait to get up there on Saturday.''

The veteran of 63 Tests between 1994 and 2002 and star of two World Cups is keen to stay fit for his young son Brayley.

He has dropped his weight from 142kg two years ago, aiming to take the stage at 114kg.

"I've got a seven-month-old boy now and I want him to see me looking healthy and being healthy,'' he said.

"I want my son to see me as a 50-year-old with a six-pack, not a beer gut.''

Of Tongan heritage, Lomu said covering himself in tanning oil will be a new experience.

"I've got the year-round tan but they reckon I need this.''

Last edited by a moderator:
chadcruz

chadcruz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
A few pics of Lomu in his playing days.

pakiman

pakiman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Go Jonah go :)... hey I'm bigger fan of League than Union but still they dont come bigger or better than Jonah whatevefr the sport may be... speaking of Rugby can anyone here spot that Addidas rugby add with All Blacks... that is one crazy inspirational piece :)

chadcruz

chadcruz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I havent seen the video you're talking about, however I did find this great video from youtube featuring some of his best tries. Check it out:

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
great leg genetics... too bad he wasted all those years playing that dreadful sport... LOL im jk :D

pakiman

pakiman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks for the clip...

this is not the one I was looking for but still :|

J

Jusa*

this so exciting news! Jonah is one of the greatest players ever!! And im a big fan of Jonah! When he was at his best on the field noone couldnt stop him!!

sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Devastating on attack!

But couldn't score against the Springboks!

PS: Hope his health is ok.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
All I remember of Lomu was when George Gregan (all 170cm and 80kg of him) tackled Lomu, stopping him scoring.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Light weight

Light weight

Jonah lives in France right now near Marseille (Vitrolles), I will see him in one month, and i promise to take pics for you!!!

chadcruz

chadcruz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
All I remember of Lomu was when George Gregan (all 170cm and 80kg of him) tackled Lomu, stopping him scoring.

Which game was this dude? Or are you confusing this with Gregan's most famous 1994 tackle on All Blacks player Jeff Wilson?.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
Which game was this dude? Or are you confusing this with Gregan's most famous 1994 tackle on All Blacks player Jeff Wilson?.

even though afl players dont know how to tackle and tim has probably never made a tackle of anyone over 30kgs in his life he speaks truth. From memory lomu broke through 3 tackles had a full head of steam over about 20 meters. Gregan ran cross field for cover lomu went to fend him off gregan grabed his arm with both his hands and pulled him to the ground on the 22.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
with a clean bill of health if he played nfl he'd be in there hall of fame. clearly the most dominant attacking contact football player of all time.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
But couldn't score against the Springboks!

the springboks had a simple strategy tho. swarm lomu with 3-4 defenders before he got a head of steam up. Shame Australia didnt realise that.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
this ones for you light weight lol

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Lomu was a machine. It was awesome to see him play.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
even though afl players dont know how to tackle and tim has probably never made a tackle of anyone over 30kgs in his life he speaks truth. From memory lomu broke through 3 tackles had a full head of steam over about 20 meters. Gregan ran cross field for cover lomu went to fend him off gregan grabed his arm with both his hands and pulled him to the ground on the 22.

Tackled a 110kg guy successfully. A 135kg guy (fat bastard :shakefist:) palmed me off like I wasn't there. I was usually better against guys my size or heavier. Lighter guys you'd throw them around too easily and they would still get a pass off.

Of course the tackle is sometimes different between rugby and AFL. AFL aren't tackling guys running straight at them, they are often having to run them down or close from the side. They are also trying to stop guys getting a disposal off, so the prime objective is the ball. Different focus.

But of course rugby guys couldn't run out of sight on a dark night. :rofl3:

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
ok i distorted reality a little but heres the gregan tackle on lomu at 4:43

Light weight

Light weight

Awesome bro, I was 18 in 1995, and I was in font of my tv during this match, great memories!!!