• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Can Victor bounce back?

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
victorbounce_lg.jpg

http://www.flexonline.com/victor_martinez_olympia/news/925

Olympia Storyline Three: Can Victor Martinez Bounce Back?

One of the most compelling storylines in this year's Olympia doesn't have to do with a head-to-head matchup or a repeat victory or comeback attempt. This story is about a warrior besieged by the slings and arrows of fate. It's a story of pain - physical and emotional - and perseverance; of heartache and heroism. It's the story of one of the greatest bodybuilders on the planet, but a man whose true greatness can't be measured on a scale or bodyfat percentage come Olympia day, but by the very fact that he will be onstage at the Orleans Arena at all. Because no one would fault Victor Martinez one bit if he did not compete this year.

On July 7th of this year Martinez's 46-year-old sister, Eridania Rodriguez, was murdered while working the night shift as she cleaned an office building in downtown Manhattan. She was one of his biggest supporters, often helping to prepare his pre-contest meals and providing him the unconditional love only a big sister can give. Bravely, Martinez identified his sister's body at the coroner's office and acted as family representative for the news crews covering the well-publicized story. While lesser men might have folded like a tipped house of cards under the weight of such grief, a steely Martinez collected himself and resolved to bring his all-time best physique to bear in Las Vegas on September 25th-26th, in the hopes of dedicating an Olympia win to Eridania.

His sister's murder marks the latest in a string of unfortunate events that have seemingly conspired to keep the gifted Martinez from the destiny so many feel is surely his. A knee injury in late 2007, following a win at that year's Arnold Classic and a controversial second place finish at the Olympia, kept Martinez out of competition for all of '08. Shortly before the '07 Olympia, his mother passed away, making his Olympia experience that year as emotional as it was disappointing.

After a second place finish to rising star Kai Greene at this year's Arnold Classic, a show in which Martinez fell shy of the high water mark he'd reached at the '07 Olympia, the question needs to be asked: Can he ever regain the form that supported fans' claims that his was the best physique on the planet?

In Columbus this past March Martinez looked good, but paled in comparison with his best self. His legs were down in size and detail - possibly a result of his knee injury. His conditioning wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. Even the back, which was second only to Ronnie Coleman's in recent years, didn't impress as it once had.

To be fair, the Arnold was his comeback from what could just as easily have been a career-ending injury. And yet, despite the severity of that injury, he did manage to place second. That's how good he is. Now, however, fans wonder whether the Arnold was a prelude to a return to form for Martinez, or a post-injury ceiling he may never surpass.

At 38, Martinez isn't too old to show his best stuff, and there's no question he has ample motivation for putting it all together and taking home bodybuilding's Holy Grail. Whether or not his knee is able to withstand the kind of stresses required of a Mr. Olympia is something only he knows. One thing is for certain though - come Olympia day Martinez will be standing strong on the Orleans stage, for his mom and his sister, for his family and friends, for all those who have stood by him throughout his setbacks, and in the end for himself.

Bone Yard

Bone Yard

i hope he does. gone thru alot this guy, very strong mentally... best wishes to him and his family

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think he can, maybe not this olympia, but in the next three years he is more of a threat to the crown then kai or wolf IMO, best porportions of any bodybuilder on that stage period.

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
^ Agree PV, all the best for Victor!

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Even the back, which was second only to Ronnie Coleman's in recent years, didn't impress as it once had.

What? He must be joking. Cutler's back smokes Vic's all the way, baby.

Nowadays Dex, Phil's and Kai are, IMO, better than Vic's.

R

Ryeland

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What? He must be joking. Cutler's back smokes Vic's all the way, baby.

Nowadays Dex, Phil's and Kai are, IMO, better than Vic's.

Vic's back destroys Cutler. The only thing cutler has going for him from the back is width. Vic has shape, thickness, definition and muscle separation.

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
^ leave him be, he's a die hard Cutler fan, it's like teh aids, you can't cure them.

:D

pakiman

pakiman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
FOR CRYING OUT LOUD ... when was he down? ... this is just "Flex" doing its due diligence to hype the show.
Victor took a very admirable 2nd to a better conditioned Kai and we have all of these threads and stuff saying stuff as if Victor were in a Coma or something.... he is right up there with the top IFBB pros and will definately kick major ass at the O :shakefist:

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Vic's back destroys Cutler. The only thing cutler has going for him from the back is width. Vic has shape, thickness, definition and muscle separation.

LOL. Vic's back is thickest than Cutler's??? LOL. Yeah, I'm a die hard Cutler fan, but most of this forum would agree with me. Jay's back has more meat than Vic ALL THE WAY.

bangbang

bangbang

Jay's back is pretty damn thick. Vic's back is more appealing IMO.. It's wide at the top and narrows down to his waist. I really like Vic's and Melvin Anthony's backs. They both got very similar - lat spread from the back.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Zviko

Zviko

i think vic is still in with a chance he came to the arnold in good condition just lost out slightly and i think leg size as well is a slight issue. DONT COUNT HIM OUT!!!

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Jay's back is pretty damn thick. Vic's back is more appealing IMO.. It's wide at the top and narrows down to his waist. I really like Vic's and Melvin Anthony's backs. They both got very similar - lat spread from the back.

Of course it's fine to me if you think Vic's back is more appealing than Jay's, that's debatable, but Cutler's is way thicker than Martinez's. :thumbsup2:

bangbang

bangbang

Of course it's fine to me if you think Vic's back is more appealing than Jay's, that's debatable, but Cutler's is way thicker than Martinez's. :thumbsup2:

Lol, yeah well you know.. Vic is just the MAN! Hope he does well..

weezy f baby

weezy f baby

lmao 'at 38 he's too old' the guy came 2nd at the start of the year at the arnold and has the worst contest conditioning i ever seen. he is a machine and will suprise all untill he is in his 40's

weezy f baby

weezy f baby

jays right lat sits high he must be injured from mr o 2008

painhurts

painhurts

lmao 'at 38 he's too old' the guy came 2nd at the start of the year at the arnold and has the worst contest conditioning i ever seen. he is a machine and will suprise all untill he is in his 40's

I believe Victor just turned 36 this past July

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
^ Yes, he's 36.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
BB usually achive his best phisiques around that age, that's not Vic's problem. His injury is.