• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

2009 Olympia: Can Dexter repeat?

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
dexterrepeat_lg.jpg

Olympia Storyline Five: Can Dexter Jackson Repeat?

By Dave Lee

September 22, 2009

FLEXONLINE.COM

It took ten years. In that time, Dexter "The Blade" Jackson won eleven shows - including three Arnold Classics - but never the big one, the one that mattered most. Until last year, when he toppled former two-time Mr. Olympia Jay Cutler, becoming only the 12th man to hold the Sandow in the show's 44 year history. It's been quite a road and Jackson has had to overcome many obstacles, routinely competing against foes that outweighed him by 30-40 pounds, including eight-time Mr. Olympia Ronnie Coleman - all the more impressive for a man that turned pro as a light-heavyweight in 2001. And now, against the deepest field of challengers to ever take the Olympia stage, will Jackson tie two-time Mr. O's Cutler, Franco Columbu [1976 and 1981] and Larry Scott [1965-1966] or remain in the company of one-timers Chris Dickerson [1982] and Sammir Bannout [1983]?

Phil Heath, Jay Cutler, Kai Greene, Dennis Wolf and Victor Martinez; these are the names standing between Jackson and a second Sandow. Out of that all-star cast, Heath and Cutler have made the biggest precontest noise. Heath, based on improvements made over the last year, poses the biggest threat to Jackson. Both have similar physiques and are two of the most conditioned athletes in the sport. While Jackson has beaten Heath in all three of their previous meetings, his victory margin narrows each time. Cutler, who was admittedly off last year, seems to relish his role as the underdog and having ended the reign of the seemingly unbeatable Ronnie Coleman in 2006, knows what it takes to be the last man standing. Plus, he's one of two men in this year's show to boast victories over Jackson. Greene, riding a big wave of momentum from his Arnold Classic victory earlier in the year, could create problems for Jackson with his sheer mass and condition, as can Wolf - provided the German Giant can make improvements to his lower back, hamstrings and come in bone dry. Martinez, the only other man in this year's show to beat Jackson, has all the tools to do it again - if he matches his '07 Arnold Classic and Mr. Olympia condition.

Jackson will have several weapons in his arsenal to deal with the threat, chief among those flawless proportion, flowing lines and as his nickname suggests, conditioning. From the front, he's got good clavicle width with a tight waistline, making for impressive standing relaxed, front double biceps and abs and thigh shots. His overall separation is stellar, with round, full muscle bellies reminiscent of Flex Wheeler. His side chest pose is a masterpiece, every muscle working in unison to present a picture perfect image of classic bodybuilding. In the most-muscular, Jackson displays a level of detail that most of his foes are hard pressed to match, while from the rear, he has good back detail and thickness with some of the driest hamstrings and glutes in the game. Although his lats could spread wider from both the front and back and his calves could be better, his overall combination of size, shape and detail make for a highly impressive and hard to beat physique.

Last year, Jackson came in heavier with only a slight loss of sharpness. In '09, with a full year to prepare, he should come in even bigger. However, he will need to be at or near his all-time best condition to pull off a repeat. Come September 25-26 in Las Vegas, Nevada, we'll see if Jackson can hold onto bodybuilding's greatest prize.

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
What do you think? imo if the other top contenders come in off, and Dex is at his best ever, I think he might repeat the 2008 scenario.

819rb0486.jpg

819rb0487.jpg

819rb0491.jpg

819rb0492.jpg

819rb0498.jpg

819rb0499.jpg

819rb1451.jpg

819rb1453.jpg

819mp2794.jpg

819mp2795.jpg

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I respect a lot this guy but he's in trouble:

-If Jay jumps onstage with good conditioning he'll take it.
-Else Dex needs to be as big as Phil to take the Sandow from him.

It's a shame for Dex, but I think he needs a miracle to take the Sandow again.

sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If you look at the history of the Olympia, Dex has a far better chance of holding on to the title than Jay has of getting it back.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If you look at the history of the Olympia, Dex has a far better chance of holding on to the title than Jay has of getting it back.

Well, you are forgetting my statement about Phil. :thumbsup2:

Beau

Beau

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I don't see it happening...

sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well, you are forgetting my statement about Phil. :thumbsup2:

I know, but even with Heath, Vic, Kai etc., how many times has the current Mr Olympia lost his title?

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I know, but even with Heath, Vic, Kai etc., how many times has the current Mr Olympia lost his title?

3 years ago, the best ever lost his title.
-Oliva (2 times champ) lost it.
-Zane (3 times champ) lost it.
:thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

It's only a joke, I get your point, man.

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
How many times has there been this much competition at the Olympia? Never.

Dex is not the favorite at this O.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
weezy f baby

weezy f baby

dexter was lucky last year....THATS ALL......judging by jays new pics if he came into the O, dex wont even finish top 3.

imagine how he is gonna feel 2008 1st, 2009 5th hahaha

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
^ LOL, okay...

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
dexter was lucky last year....THATS ALL......judging by jays new pics if he came into the O, dex wont even finish top 3.

Dexter could come in at his worst conditioning ever and still probably place in the top 3.

:bitelip:

weezy f baby

weezy f baby

dexter is a big dud...his package is not wat olympia is about.....ment to be freaky big excelent conditioning and aestektics (how ever u spell it) dexter doesnt have all of the above he is not gonna win if he does garentueed the sport will die very fast

NWill135

NWill135

I can't see it happening this year. IMO Dex was given it last year cuz jay was so off, and the judges actually did the right thing for once. But if Jay comes in shape i like his chances, but he needs the wow factor in terms of conditioning which hasn't happened recently. if this doesn't happen than i can't see anyone standing in Phil's way this year. Nothing against Dex, its just that people are catching up to him, and he's already topped off

RealDeal2099

RealDeal2099

What do you think? imo if the other top contenders come in off, and Dex is at his best ever, I think he might repeat the 2008 scenario.

The key word here is "might." I think you are correct that Dex has to be at his best AND his main competitors need to be off for him to repeat.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP

yeah jay looked like a mr olympia in that cellphone leg shot :bitelip: