• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

How to restart after 1 year?

Z

ZuFFuLuZ

Hi!

Unfortunately I haven't been working out for more than a year now for a number of reasons, but now I've found the time and the right gym to start again within the next days.
The problem is that I have never had such a long break and I have no idea how strong I am now and what kind of workout I should pick to get back to where I used to be as quickly as possible.

So do you guys have any experience with that? Should I just take one of my old (split)plans and start with some lighter weights? Or what about a light full-body workout to get used to it again?

Any help appreciated. :turborun:

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Research shows that "beginners" (since you are beginning again) benefit more from more full body training. I wouldn't jump right back into your old splits, but depending on the amount of time you have to train, I might try something like the following:

Day 1: Chest/back/shoulders
Day 2: rest
Day 3: arms/legs
Day 4: rest
Day 5: chest/back/shoulders
Day 6: arms, legs
Day 7: rest

then repeat.

Try not to drop your reps much below say 10-12. Obviously focus on the heavy compound lifts, and shoot for establishing true 10 RM loads for you now, and write them down.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Try Rippetoe's program or 5x5 both are excellent fullbody routines

Z

ZuFFuLuZ

I've had a 5x5 program before and I didn't really like it. Maybe I will try it again, but for now I will stick to a "normal" full body program.

Today is my first training day and I think I will start with some light upper body work and then I will see the rest. :thumbsup2:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The only comment I have is that when you have had a long lay off you lack conditioning to lift. Just do a handfull of work sets to see where you are at. Spend more time working on your form and any changes you need (like say squatting for a full ROM) as ego won't get in the way at this point.

Also make sure you cover all the bases in the first week back. Very easy to get sore and only get a chest session in. Try to make sure you still do back and all parts of the legs.

Z

ZuFFuLuZ

Yep, after my "first" workout yesterday I can only agree with you. It was probably the worst I've ever had. :turborun:

It's unbelievable how much strength I lost and how easily I get tired during the workout. First 1-2 sets are fine but then suddenly it's like if someone throws a switch and turns off the power ...

I also had a cramp in my right leg while doing some really light bench-presses and a very strange pain in my left knee on all the leg movements. It always happens when my thigh and lower leg get to an angle of ~80 degrees and it is located at the proximal medial end of the knee, close to the patella.
Not sure what it is though, that never happend before and I hope it will go away soon ... think I will do some cycling before the workout to warm up properly and see what happens.

At the end of the day I only did some basic exercises (benchpress, rows ...) and today I am sore as hell. :bitelip:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Please tell me you didn't do leg extensions!

Z

ZuFFuLuZ

What?! Never! ;)

I used the leg press because doing squats on day 1 would be a little too much ... so it's not that common leg extension injury! It feels different also. ;)

After that I tried some of the other leg machines (including leg extensions ^^) to figure out where that pain comes from, but I still don't know what it is.

Z

ZuFFuLuZ

Looks like today is my second training day. At least that's what I planned to do, but I am still so sore that I can barely move. Haven't had that in a while. :turborun:
I think I better do that tomorrow. ;)

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Start a training log in the logs section and keep us updated.

Also gives you a chance to discuss your training more directly and outline your program.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Z

ZuFFuLuZ

I have been thinking about that too, should be a great motivation.
I will try to take some pictures first and then I must figure out what is going on with my knee. That's really freaking me out right now :turborun:

Z

ZuFFuLuZ

Still no log, maybe tomorrow! ;)

I had my second workout today and it was quite exhausting. I've never thrown up after a workout, but today I was pretty close even though the weights were still very light. Before today I never really realized how much stress this puts onto your body ... just unbelievable. ;)

I started with some easy cycling for like 8 minutes to warm up my knee and that worked surprisingly well!
Then I did this:
- Some rotator work as usual
- 3x5 Chins to warm up
- 3x10-12 Deadlifts up to 80 kg (easy)
- 3x10-12 Flat Bench up to 60 kg and no cramp! ;)
- 2x12 Dumbbell rows 27,5kg
- 2x?? Dips (bodyweight)
- 3x15 Decline Situps

Oh by the way, my personal bests:
Bench: 102.5 kg
Squat: 125 kg
Deadlift: 160 kg
(at a bodyweight of 92 kg and 1,90m height)

Right now I am at 88/89 kg, so I've got some work to do ...

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Just a quick comment:

If you spend much time sitting down in any given day (driving, computer, desk work, etc) then going in to the gym and sitting down is that last thing you should be doing.

The warmup I use for my knee is something like this:
Skipping - single leg with butt kicks, high knees, leg swings, sprinting on the spot

Movements with just the bar - GM, lunge, overhead squat, SLDL

If I need more I add - walking lunges with the bar, leg swings (side to side, high kick, and knee swings), and maybe some very light leg curls and leg extensions.

Z

ZuFFuLuZ

Well, a year ago I didn't do any special knee warmup at all. (just warmup sets)
I just startet doing that now because of the knee problem I talked about. Don't know if that is the best to do, but I heard of people with similar problems who did that and it helped. It's worth a try. ;)