• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Whey protein + caffeine

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So ive been mixing whey protein with caffeine in a pretty useless attempt to rise metabolism as well as increase protein consumption.

Is there any negative effects to this blend ? I am pretty much blending the two because of the amazing taste at this point lol.

Cheers.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
wow whey and caffeine ? niiiiceee

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Aside from the side effects of prolonged caffeine use, i would not be to concerned. I also would not keep up the use of a stimulant for a long period of time either.

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What's up with the tags? LOL.

So I downed a protein shake before going out with the lads, and I drink a cup of hot coffee right after and one of them goes: "Don't do that it'll destroy the protein! You suppose to wait one hour!" Something about heat and caffeine? :wutyousay:

I've been searching the internet but I'm not so sure what the answer is. So now I don't drink any coffee. :(

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
sounds nasty lol

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What's up with the tags? LOL.

So I downed a protein shake before going out with the lads, and I drink a cup of hot coffee right after and one of them goes: "Don't do that it'll destroy the protein! You suppose to wait one hour!" Something about heat and caffeine? :wutyousay:

I've been searching the internet but I'm not so sure what the answer is. So now I don't drink any coffee. :(

As far as the heat is concerned somebody lied to you, and i am sure the caffeine has no negative effect on protein integrity either.

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks BigBen! Yeah, they don't know much about nutrition/diet/bodybuilding.

J

Jaspar

Just think about when making bakery with whey protein, e.g. proteinmuffins - they get baked in the oven ;)

Anyone claiming the protein will denature when being heated up or any other process, that would decompose the protein, is wrong, because it'll denature by stomach-acid anyway.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Just think about when making bakery with whey protein, e.g. proteinmuffins - they get baked in the oven ;)

Anyone claiming the protein will denature when being heated up or any other process, that would decompose the protein, is wrong, because it'll denature by stomach-acid anyway.

The protein does denature, you just don't tend to lose a huge amount of the aminos. Depending on the heat you can lose up to 40% (I think) of the protein to inaccessible forms when cooking. Stomach acids don't denature things, they digest. So you are actually operating on a different process, one that is designed to free all the important nutrients for us to absorb.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Even if the protein does get denatured(means that the tertiary,3D shape, structure of the protein is changed) while cooking it would not be a concerned unless it was burnt or the integrity of the amino acids themselves was damaged in a way that made them inaccessible for use in translation. Tertiary structure holds no importance in dietary protein, assuming we are not talking about anything ridiculously out of the box. The only thing that really matters is that the amino acids stay in form, and that they are able to be liberated during digestion, and used in protein synthesis.

If you read this post in a manner that contradicts what Tim has just said than you read it incorrectly because i agree with his post also.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
J

Jaspar

Oh, that one was new to me. But what - will the protein I use in proteinmuffins then get reduced?

Sort of rules out the idea and "handyness" of baking e.g. muffins and taking them with you. What's your input on this, Tim? :)

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Oh, that one was new to me. But what - will the protein I use in proteinmuffins then get reduced?

Sort of rules out the idea and "handyness" of baking e.g. muffins and taking them with you. What's your input on this, Tim? :)
Well a couple of points:
We don't eat chicken and steak raw.
We also can't assume that our digestive system is 100% efficient in extracting nutrients from what we eat?

So pretty much lets not worry unless you start burning your food.

C

cutecub00

I thought whey protein is a great protein source and it has the highest biological value.whey proteins are highly digestible and have a better amino acid profile even than egg whites.It improves sports performance also.