• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Barbell Rows

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hey guys,

I've been having trouble with barbell rows for a while now.
My two main questions are, What is the tempo you use for doing barbell rows? Do you just drive the bar up, squeeze, and then lower it slowly, or do you use no momentum even on the positive portion of the rep?

My second question is, Where are you supposed to "feel" the exercise. I understand it works the entire back, but sometimes I can't feel my scapula squeezing together, am I supposed to focus on that?

Thanks!

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks man!

In the little Gif, they show the guy parallel to the ground. Is that what you do? I feel like I never see anyone do that.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I never go completely parallel but that is optimal for perfect execution. The further you get away from parallel the more you end up working traps and less rhomboids and lats. However, if you want to move some quality weight every now and again I am not opposed to using slight momentum and tilting up just a little bit.

miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i dont do them since i dont feel them. i prefer t-bar's

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I do both t-bars and barbell rows. I love barbell rows, you can really stack on some weight. And they're a lot of fun. I keep the bar very close to my body, it touches my legs right up to my belly button. You'll really feel it then. Some people they let the bar out too much in front of them.

And underhand grip - you'll feel a killer stretch!

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks for all the input guys that really helps!

I've been doing Underhand for a while, and although I've been moving some nice weight, I haven't been feeling it where I want to. By doing heavier, more momentum, underhand BB rows, I've been feeling it mostly in my lower lats. Which isn't bad, but my middle traps, rhomboids, teres minor/major are what needs the most work. So, I think from now on I will be lowering the weight, and trying to go more parallel.

Creator, when you do your BB rows at more of a parallel body position, where do you usually drive the bar? Top abs, belly button...?

kn609

kn609

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

I've been doing Underhand for a while, and although I've been moving some nice weight, I haven't been feeling it where I want to. By doing heavier, more momentum, underhand BB rows, I've been feeling it mostly in my lower lats. Which isn't bad, but my middle traps, rhomboids, teres minor/major are what needs the most work. So, I think from now on I will be lowering the weight, and trying to go more parallel.

Creator, when you do your BB rows at more of a parallel body position, where do you usually drive the bar? Top abs, belly button...?
I know I'm not Creator, but just giving my own insight. I do my barbell rows exactly like in the gif, parallel to the floor. I bring it up right to my belly button or around that area. I feel the higher you bring it, the more the traps get involved as well as biceps and less off the middle back and lats.
Remember this, when doing rows, you want to try to keep your arms perpendicular to the floor. If your arm is making an acute angle during the lift, then you're putting more work into the biceps, which you don't want to do.

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks Kn609! That's really good advice. I'll use it tonight while hitting my back.

By the way, what does the 609 stand for? My old area code was 609, just wondering if were from the same area.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

I try to drive it more towards my belly button. I am told that my traps are well developed so I am trying to work more on mid-back development so I make sure to angle it as such.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
kn609

kn609

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks Kn609! That's really good advice. I'll use it tonight while hitting my back.

By the way, what does the 609 stand for? My old area code was 609, just wondering if were from the same area.
Anytime, buddy.
and lol, nah, it's the birthday 6/09.

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks everyone!

Just did my BB rows last night, I only did 160 pounds, but I kept my body parallel, overhand grip, not much momentum at all, good contraction, and drove it in somewhere in the middle of my stomach, near the belly button. Felt really good!