• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Power Cleans

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Whilst at University iv'e been trying to perform the power clean for an assessment and now ive just about got how to perform it and damn it's a very hard exercise to do, mainly the dip/catch. i'm actually very enjoying this movement and I am thinking about adding it into my workouts. My questions are; I know this exercise is good for building power but is it just as valuable as building muscle and would this exercise best be suited for a leg day or back day?

Oh and how many of you lot perform this on a regular basis?

Thanks for your responses in advance guys :thumbsup2:

jonathan

jonathan

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I would do them on back day, powercleans with a heavy sandbag are also superbe. I do them almost every week but once I'll do thick dumbell powercleans or one hand powercleans, sandbag powercleans, or regular powercleans

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Its mostly a totall body workout. Ive used it in my FB routine for a while. But If I had to choose I would perform it on back day

Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
it depends on the style you do them with. If you drop down a lot and front squat the weight up then i would do them leg day. I always would kick my leg back and to the side. I would use my back and shoulders the most and just the explosion of my legs to get it moving up as fast as possible.

kn609

kn609

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I wouldn't really put it on a specific body part day. It does use the whole body, but not to the extent to provide any decent muscular gains. It's purely an exercise that uses tons of explosiveness, balance (Olympic style clean), flexibility, and of course, technique. The exercise has barely any relevance to hypertrophy. Though, I've seen good results in my athletic performance from it.

If you really wanted to stick it to a body part day, depending on the type of clean you do, IE: power clean (1/4th squat position when catching the bar) or Olympic style clean (full ass to grass squat position when catching the bar), I would put the Olympic style cleans to leg day and the normal power clean to the day you work out traps.

I do them on a regular basis as my routine is now based off of Olympic weight lifting. 2-3 times a week. Stupid preseason wrestling practices take a day of training off my schedule :shakefist:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Mostly agree.

I don't think you should worry about where the power clean fits, rather that it doesn't impede other things. So if you do it one day and the next day the traps are too sore to pull a deadlift or your quads too sore to squat then that isn't where it goes.

It will add mass to your back, the traps especially. Legs a little bit. But you are mainly going to see the benefits from the carryover into other exercises. The power and the whole body movement will improve a lot of other lifts and act as a great potentiator for back, legs, shoulders, hips and calves.

kn609

kn609

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Mostly agree.

I don't think you should worry about where the power clean fits, rather that it doesn't impede other things. So if you do it one day and the next day the traps are too sore to pull a deadlift or your quads too sore to squat then that isn't where it goes.

It will add mass to your back, the traps especially. Legs a little bit. But you are mainly going to see the benefits from the carryover into other exercises. The power and the whole body movement will improve a lot of other lifts and act as a great potentiator for back, legs, shoulders, hips and calves.
Good point, Tim. Didn't think of it that way, but definitely agree.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

VIP
Thanks for your responses guys :thumbsup2:

I was doing it today for a little more practice and iv'e decided i'll be using the power clean so just the 1/4 squat position. I can't get enough of this exercise! I didn't go heavy. I just put 80kg on and did around 8 reps or so, great on the cardio for sure. As poeple have said, I know it's an all over body movement but i'll prolly put it on shoulder day or back day. And I'll prolly do sets of 6 reps or so maybe less.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Just a comment. I am yet to see anyone perform more than a couple of reps in a set with good form. Normally it requires rest pause sets to actually get a moderate (6-10) number.

This is not an exercise to get sloppy with.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

VIP
^^ Just a comment. I am yet to see anyone perform more than a couple of reps in a set with good form. Normally it requires rest pause sets to actually get a moderate (6-10) number.

This is not an exercise to get sloppy with.

Ahh I gotcha. I normally have to rest after about 4 reps so a abit of rest/pause. I'll limit myself for reps of 3 max with a few sets. Thanks.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Natureboypkr

Natureboypkr

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've been doing power clean for some time now. I do not clearly know your goals, but they helped me become more explosive with my fighting. I' have noticed the most explosiveness in my kicks and throws, Maybe this could give you a good indicator of what they can do for you.

kn609

kn609

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've been doing power clean for some time now. I do not clearly know your goals, but they helped me become more explosive with my fighting. I' have noticed the most explosiveness in my kicks and throws, Maybe this could give you a good indicator of what they can do for you.
It's definitely helped me with explosiveness. My vert went up at least 4 inches in the span of 2-3 months. Was able to get my whole hand on a 10' basketball rim at 5'6.

Natureboypkr

Natureboypkr

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It's definitely helped me with explosiveness. My vert went up at least 4 inches in the span of 2-3 months. Was able to get my whole hand on a 10' basketball rim at 5'6.

Awesome bro:headbang:. That's impressive especially for your height.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

VIP

Dam that is very impressive, well done.

@Natureboy: Like I said previously I want strength and mass in my whole body. But Tim already answered my question, he just verified it for me now. Because I know the exercise is more geared towards power than muscle hypertrophy.

Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Ya, I remember the days when I could dunk at 240+ lbs. I need to get off my ass and start doing these types of lifts again. I loved clean and jerks.