• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

If you knew then what you know now...

sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Most members at the Mecca have been training for a while.

My question is:

If you knew then (when you started) what you know now, what would you have changed?

For me, I would have trained much less. I remember trying to do my 25 sets of chest and about 20 sets of back in one workout (as prescribed by the gym owner). Didn't do the last 3 sets of chest and felt guilty on the way home.

.......mind you it worked for Arnold!

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
LOL, def overtraining, and better pwo nutrition..and dont get fat

ddragaon

ddragaon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I did too much traning
Nutrition was bad
I spended to much money on supplement and not enough on good food

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
I would've done a lot of things different in my diet and my training for sure, specially my diet

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
I wouldn't have touched any mass gain shakes, as this got me fat :no:

I wouldn't have wasted sooo much money on protein, either food or supps as you really don't need a lot to aid muscle synthesis.

I wouldn't have wasted all my years buying magazines and believing all the crap that's in them. :shakefist:

And, i'd be bigger now if I knew :turborun:

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
1. I would have focused more on progressive overload than failure/pump training.

2. I would have eaten more, and been less strict about eating extremely clean. im not talking about eating shit all day, but jesus christ, i used to think a slice of bread or pizza would kill me. not true.

3. I would not buy into supplement scams or even be conserned with supplements. i used to think a supplement was what i needed whenever i stagnated, instead of looking at my training and diet. how wrong can one be...

4. I would have done more cardio. being big and strong is not a reason to be out of shape and have fitness levels like some other fatty. after going from no cardio to 2-3sessions a week i recover better in the gym, feel better overall, and i am less sore because the lactic acid gets flushed out of my system easier due to increased o2 uptake. i can keep up with guys who weigh alot less than me when running, which is a great feeling. before i would be near death after a km of running lol.

T

Tonka

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I did 2 years of junk food nutrition and training for the pump to failure just like bulkboy. I only recently started to train properly lol. Though I have been out of the gym for along time and only been able to do the home gym for the last 4 months which involved just flat bench and barbell curls.

I really wish I knew alot more about progressiveness in my strength than rarther than how I looked in the gym with the kind of pump i was getting.

Milligan41088

Milligan41088

diet would be way better

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I would have started doing proper squats and deadlifting earlier so than my bench wasn't so far in front comparitively. Also, more prehab work for my shoulders and less heavy extensions for my tris. Age catches up with you.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
1. I would have focused more on progressive overload than failure/pump training.

#1 thing to focus on right there.

2. I would have eaten more, and been less strict about eating extremely clean. im not talking about eating shit all day, but jesus christ, i used to think a slice of bread or pizza would kill me. not true.

3. I would not buy into supplement scams or even be conserned with supplements. i used to think a supplement was what i needed whenever i stagnated, instead of looking at my training and diet. how wrong can one be...

4. I would have done more cardio. being big and strong is not a reason to be out of shape and have fitness levels like some other fatty. after going from no cardio to 2-3sessions a week i recover better in the gym, feel better overall,

All good advice.

and i am less sore because the lactic acid gets flushed out of my system easier due to increased o2 uptake.

Incorrect. Discussed briefly here. Introduction to exercise metabolism

Last edited by a moderator:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i would have done less sets and lower reps..

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I would've squatted hard and deep from day one, and NEVER should have wasted time with the leg press, aka, ego machine.

Adam23

Adam23

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^:rofl3:

I would have focused more on my form, rather on how much weight i'm moving.

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I would've squatted hard and deep from day one, and NEVER should have wasted time with the leg press, aka, ego machine.

wasted time with leg press eh? i have gotten more thickness in my legs from the leg press then any other movement..

A

Achilles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Would start with a descent workout routine insead of 3 times a week all out chest and arms.

Would eat more and better instead of drinking beer and fast food.

would be more consistant.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
2 things, properly stimulate the muscle and eat enough to stay anabolic

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
2 things, properly stimulate the muscle and eat enough to stay anabolic

what? the eating enough to stay anabolic i get.. but stimulate the muscle? isn't that what heavy weights do? or are you talking in kai lingo and trying to say focus more on mind-muscle connection?

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
wasted time with leg press eh? i have gotten more thickness in my legs from the leg press then any other movement..

Great! Glad they work well for your purposes. I just started powerlifting, however, and I find that concentrating on leg presses and not squatting has cost me dearly over the years. Just my case in particular; not a blanket statement condemning them.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Great! Glad they work well for your purposes. I just started powerlifting, however, and I find that concentrating on leg presses and not squatting has cost me dearly over the years. Just my case in particular; not a blanket statement condemning them.

Leg presses are the ultimate egocise. Squatting properly humbles everyone.