• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

SPEED on WORKING OUT

P

proteinguysx

Hello again.

Wanted to ask, how good or bad is to do fast repetitions? By fast I mean doing a lot more repetitions than the rest of the people, I have seen people doing very slow repetitions and obviously takes more time but I dont see any positive effects and im not sure if is the best way to teach the muscle to grow. On the other hand if someone does very fast repetitions obviously takes less time but you can do more and it seems to be something positive, what are the adverse effects on speed, and if there is any effect what is the normal speed to do shoulders and legs, should the speed or velocity be different. thanks :headbang:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Quick reps are generally better but you need to actually have the ability to control the entire rep while you are doing it. I'd say that new trainees don't need to worry about rep speed unless they are athletes. Basically new trainees need to spend more time getting good at lifting rather than worrying about details.

A faster bar speed on the concentric action will require the muscles to produce more power. This in turn requires more higher threshold motor units to be recruited in order to move the bar quickly. I think a classic example of power is watching an olympic lifter squat, they make the lift look easy.

X

Xiva

Banned
Time under tension, which is what you're refering to when lifing fast or slow, is overrated.

As long as you have control of the movement, you'll be fine.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Slow reps benefid time under tension but that effect isnt half as powerfull as progressive tension overload. Since slow reps have t be done with less weight they pretty much suck. So explosive it is!

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The reps should be done under control. The muscles must be working during the eccentric and the concentric should be controlled without any parts of the movement faster than others.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I don't remember who posted the study but i remember reading it. During the contraction phase quicker was better and during the negative slower was better.

X

Xiva

Banned
I don't remember who posted the study but i remember reading it. During the contraction phase quicker was better and during the negative slower was better.

I dont know what studies you read, but i think they're outdated. Because the newest once i read, showed that time under tensions is a overrated factor and that you should just lift the weight controlled.

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
I dont know if its regarded as fast or slow, but for example while doing a barbell curl the contraction phase usually takes 2 sec for me. I then go a little slower down on the negative phase.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I dont know what studies you read, but i think they're outdated. Because the newest once i read, showed that time under tensions is a overrated factor and that you should just lift the weight controlled.

It was just recently actually and it was discussing how to most efficiently recruit the most muscle fiber.

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
this is one thing i dont worry about. i just lift as explosive and fast as possible while still controlling the movement and moving through a full range of motion. as long as ure making the movement work the muscle, ull be fine. i really dont believe in deliberately slowing down anything, especially not when the goal is to get big and strong. i remember reading a study saying that faster eccentrics was superior to slower.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Iv'e read recently that if you lift as fast as you can but under control then you will promote more type 2 a and b fibres more. So if you pick a weight that is quite heavy and use the intention of lifting it as quickly as possible but lower under control. If I find it i'll try and put it up.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I use fast positive, slow negative.

X

Xiva

Banned
same here/

How slow?

Cause like Bulk mentions. It doesn't matter if you use slow/fast excentric phase. It's more importan to lift fast and explosive in the koncentric phase. (Spell alert :turborun: )

Having a slow excentric phase i good, no doubt. But if you have to lower your kilo's by 10% just so you can have that slow and controlled excentric phase, then it's defently not worth it! You should rather increase the weight by 10% and then have a fast excentric phase. The studies i read supports what i just said.

Napol3onator

Napol3onator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Quick reps are generally better but you need to actually have the ability to control the entire rep while you are doing it. I'd say that new trainees don't need to worry about rep speed unless they are athletes. Basically new trainees need to spend more time getting good at lifting rather than worrying about details.

A faster bar speed on the concentric action will require the muscles to produce more power. This in turn requires more higher threshold motor units to be recruited in order to move the bar quickly. I think a classic example of power is watching an olympic lifter squat, they make the lift look easy.

this is very true, and it makes me laugh at all of the pro bodybuilders who do slower reps to build a "mind muscle connection" when, in fact, it works the exact opposite; :D ohh..plus, it's more badass to do fast reps