• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Trigosamine - New Joint supp Breakthrough?

R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I saw this in the local paper the other day and started to look it up a bit, anything different that this could help with than other joint support products? I have never heard of Hyaluronate before, thats why i got curious.

TRIGOSAMINE contains three essential building blocks to help naturally maintain healthy joints while helping relieve joint discomfort.*

Glucosamine and chondroitin are integral components of articular cartilage. They are important to the physiological (biochemical) and mechanical properties of this tissue. Clinical studies have demonstrated a synergistic (additive) effect when glucosamine and chondroitin are supplemented together.*

Hyaluronate is key component of the super slippery and resilient compound produced by the body which permits your joints to slide smoothly and comfortably over one another. Clinical results show that hyaluronate, like that utilized in TRIGOSAMINE, is effectively absorbed by the digestive system and enters the body’s blood stream where it is available to the joints.*

http://www.trigosamine.com/info.cfm

more later...

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I can only find studies that used injections of hyaluronate, not a supplement. So I'm not sure that this supplement is above board.

Intra-articular sodium hyaluronate in osteoarthritis of the knee: a multicenter, double-blind study
Osteoarthritis and Cartilage
Volume 1, Issue 4, October 1993, Pages 233-241

Wolfhart Puhl1, , Andreas Bernau2, Helmut Greiling3, Wolfgang Köpcke4, Wolfgang Pförringer5, Karl J. Steck6, Josef Zacher7 and Hans P. Scharf1

Summary
The efficacy and the safety of intra-articular injections of sodium hyaluronate were studied in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee in a randomized multicenter double-blind study. Two hundred and nine patients received five injections of either 25 mg hyaluronate/2.5 ml (verum, N = 102) or 0.25 mg hyaluronate/2.5 ml (control, N = 107) at weekly intervals. Seven patients in each group were excluded from the protocol-correct efficacy analysis. The Lequesne Index, the first main criterion, showed a significant superiority of the verum-treated patients after the third injection up to the final follow-up examination 9 weeks after the last injection (MANOVA, P < 0.025). The consumption of paracetamol was defined as a complementary main criterion that did not reveal significant differences between the treatment groups. Most of the individual secondary endpoints demonstrated a much better response to the active treatment without reaching the significance level in the intergroup comparisons for the single time-points. Side-effects were confined to local reactions of minor severity and short duration in four patients (six events) of the verum group and in five patients of the control group. Clinical chemistry and hematology remained essentially unchanged.

Rheumatology, Vol 38, 602-607,
Hyaluronic acid in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee
EC Huskisson and S Donnelly
Department of Rheumatology, St Bartholomew's Hospital, West Smithfield, London, UK.

OBJECTIVES: We examined the efficacy, safety and patient satisfaction of intra-articular hyaluronic acid (HA) in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. METHODS: One hundred patients with mild to moderate osteoarthritis of the knee entered a randomized blind-observer trial of 6 months HA vs placebo. Primary efficacy criteria were pain on walking, measured with a visual analogue scale, and the Lequesne Index. RESULTS: For pain on walking, a significant difference in favour of HA was found for completed patients at week 5, the end of the course of injections, and at month 6, the end of the study (P = 0.0087 and P = 0.0049, respectively). Further analysis using the Last Observation Carried Forward (LOCF) also showed a significant benefit favouring HA at month 6 (P = 0.0010). For the Lequesne Index, a significant difference in favour of HA was found at week 5 (P = 0.030) and at month 2 (P = 0.0431), but this was only of borderline significance at month 4 (P = 0.0528). Patients' global assessment of efficacy favoured HA at month 6 (P = 0.012). Improvement in other secondary criteria was generally superior in the HA group compared to placebo both at week 5 and month 6. Adverse events, mainly local injection site reactions, occurred in both groups with equal frequency. CONCLUSIONS: The study demonstrated that five weekly intra-articular injections of sodium hyaluronate (Hyalgan) were superior to placebo and well tolerated in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee with a symptomatic benefit which persisted for 6 months.

Intra-articular Hyaluronic Acid in Treatment of Knee Osteoarthritis
A Meta-analysis

Grace H. Lo, MD; Michael LaValley, PhD; Timothy McAlindon, MD, MPH; David T. Felson, MD, MPH

Context Intra-articular hyaluronic acid is a US Food and Drug Administration–approved treatment for knee osteoarthritis (OA); however, its efficacy is controversial.

Objective To evaluate whether intra-articular hyaluronic acid is efficacious in treating knee OA.

Data Sources We searched for human clinical trials in MEDLINE (1966 through February 2003) and the Cochrane Controlled Trials Register, using the search terms (osteoarthritis, osteoarthrosis, or degenerative arthritis) and (hyaluronic acid, Hyalgan, Synvisc, Artzal, Suplasyn, BioHy, or Orthovisc). We also hand searched manuscript bibliographies that met inclusion criteria, selected rheumatic disease journals, and abstracts from scientific meetings.

Study Selection Included were published or unpublished, English and non-English, single- or double-blinded, randomized controlled trials comparing intra-articular hyaluronic acid with intra-articular placebo injection for the treatment of knee OA. Trials also were required to have extractable data on pain reported by 1 of the outcome measures recommended by the Osteoarthritis Research Society.

Data Extraction Two reviewers independently performed data extraction using standardized data forms. For each trial, we calculated an effect size (small-effect sizes, 0.2-0.5; large-effect sizes, 1.0-1.8, equivalent to a total knee replacement). We used a random-effects model to pool study results, the Cochrane Q test to evaluate heterogeneity, and a funnel plot and the Egger test to evaluate publication bias.

Data Synthesis The overall dropout rate in the 22 selected trials was 12.4%. The pooled effect size for hyaluronic acid was 0.32 (95% confidence interval [CI], 0.17-0.47). There was significant heterogeneity among studies (P<.001). Two outlier trials, both evaluating the highest-molecular-weight hyaluronic acid, had effect sizes in excess of 1.5. However, the third trial of the same compound showed a nearly null effect. When the 3 trials of this compound were removed, heterogeneity was no longer significant (P = .58), and the pooled effect size for intra-articular hyaluronic acid decreased to 0.19 (95% CI, 0.10-0.27). There was evidence of publication bias with an asymmetric funnel plot, a positive Egger test, and identification of 2 unpublished trials whose pooled effect size was 0.07 (95% CI, - 0.15 to 0.28).

Conclusion Intra-articular hyaluronic acid has a small effect when compared with an intra-articular placebo. The presence of publication bias suggests even this effect may be overestimated. Compared with lower-molecular-weight hyaluronic acid, the highest-molecular-weight hyaluronic acid may be more efficacious in treating knee OA, but heterogeneity of these studies limits definitive conclusions.

High molecular weight sodium hyaluronate (hyalectin) in osteoarthritis of the knee: a 1 year placebo-controlled trial

Maxime Dougados*, , Minh Nguyen, Véronique Listrat† and Bernard Amor*

Summary
Hyaluronic acid is a natural component of cartilage and is considered not only as a lubricant in joints but also as playing a physiological role in the trophic status of cartilage. Hyalectin, a selected fraction of hyaluronic acid extracted from cocks' combs, has exhibited efficacy in animal models of osteoarthritis. To assess the efficacy and tolerability of intra-articular injections of hyalectin, we conducted a prospective, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of 1 years' duration in 110 patients with painful hydarthrodial osteoarthritis of the knee. At entry and once a week for 3 weeks, aspiration of the knee effusion and intra-articular injections of either hyalectin 20 mg (H) or its vehicle (C) were performed. The vehicle acted as the control treatment. Four weeks after the last injection, the improvement was greater in the H group compared with the C group (pain: −35.5±26.4 mm vs −25.8±21.4, P = 0.03, Lequesne's functional index: −3.8±4.3 vs −2.3±3.3, P = 0.03). During the 1 year follow-up, the need to perform supplementary local therapies (joint fluid aspiration because of painful hydarthrodial episodes and/or local corticosteroid injections) was more frequent in group C (44% vs 30%, P = 0.03). Moreover, at the final visit, the physician's overall assessment of efficacy was in favor of H (77% vs 54%, P = 0.01) and the improvement in the functional index was greater in group H (−4.4±5.1 vs −2.7±4.1, P = 0.05). This study suggests that intra-articular injections of hyalectin may (1) improve clinical condition and (2) have a long-term beneficial effect in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee.

N

neuf08

I've never heard of Trigosamine specifically, but the idea of the supplements in it sounds good. I know that glucosamine, chondroitin, and hyaluronic acid are all excellent supplements. I've recently been looking into the hyaluronic acid a little more, and it really seems to be a wonderful supplement. It's excellent for joint health, and is also a great anti-inflammatory. The one thing I would be careful of, is that I tend to be a little leery of pills that combine several different supplements. You want to make sure that you're getting an adequate dose of each of the included supplements. You might get less of each for the price of convenience. But those are great supplements individually.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've never heard of Trigosamine specifically, but the idea of the supplements in it sounds good. I know that glucosamine, chondroitin, and hyaluronic acid are all excellent supplements. I've recently been looking into the hyaluronic acid a little more, and it really seems to be a wonderful supplement. It's excellent for joint health, and is also a great anti-inflammatory. The one thing I would be careful of, is that I tend to be a little leery of pills that combine several different supplements. You want to make sure that you're getting an adequate dose of each of the included supplements. You might get less of each for the price of convenience. But those are great supplements individually.

Read my post above. Hyaluronic acid has only been administered as an injection, not as a supplement.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Injections would work so much better. If its a supplement then it would have to go through your digesting system which will only allow you to absorb so much of it depending on your insulin levels and such.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Injections would work so much better. If its a supplement then it would have to go through your digesting system which will only allow you to absorb so much of it depending on your insulin levels and such.

There are better injections you can take into the joint.

Conclusion Intra-articular hyaluronic acid has a small effect when compared with an intra-articular placebo. The presence of publication bias suggests even this effect may be overestimated. Compared with lower-molecular-weight hyaluronic acid, the highest-molecular-weight hyaluronic acid may be more efficacious in treating knee OA, but heterogeneity of these studies limits definitive conclusions.

Why would you bother with an injection of something that has a small effect? But then the question you raised is more to the point: why would anyone buy a supplement/pill that barely produces results as an injection and therefore isn't likely to do anything once it is digested?