• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Cheerleader gets a flu shot and can now only walk backwards

kn609

kn609

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
A simple flu shot has turned a cheerleader's life into a nightmare. Ten days after receiving the shot, she came down with a severe debilitating neurological disorder.
Desiree Jennings, 25, of Ashburn, Virginia was a professional football cheerleader for the Washington Redskins, but she says the seasonal flu shot she received this past August has ruined her chance of having any happiness in her life.
Doctors say that she has a rare neurological disorder, that started just a few days after her seasonal flu shot.
The first symptom, she says, was that whenever she tried to eat, she would pass out, and then eventually she started to have twisted movements when she walked or stayed still.
The weird thing about Ms. Jennings condition is that she can walk backwards with no spasms. She must also walk up and down stairs backwards, as it is too dangerous for her to walk forward.
She is also able to run normally, and can even talk while she's running, something that is very difficult for her to do otherwise.
Her doctors say she is suffering from dystonia, a rare side effect of seasonal flu vaccinations for which there is no cure, but in a Fox News interview, Leigh Vinocur, M.D., of the University of Maryland School of Medicine, said her condition may possibly be "psychogenic", meaning it isn't caused by the vaccine.
This comes at a time when the U.S. government is attempting to calm concerns that people have with getting a flu shot this season.
According to Fox News, recent polling shows that 44 per cent of those asked in October plan on getting this years vaccination. That number is down from 53 per cent in September.
In a statement to Generation Rescue, Ms. Jennings said she would like people to think carefully, educate themselves on vaccine side effects and to look seriously at natural remedies for flu and H1N1 before they accept a seasonal flu shot.

That's very sad, poor girl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
I hate when bad things happen to attractive people. :tear:

Chesticles

Chesticles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I felt bad for laughing alot during that.

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What the fuck! That's so sad man... I'm so sorry for her! :(

"A rare side effect of seasonal flu vaccinations for which there is no cure." Screw that, don't take the shot. Poor girl!

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
wow i wonder what the swin flu vaccine could do to someone whos "one and a million"

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
damn that really sucks, i was always against the flu shots, ever since i was able to choose for myself , i have never taken any shot.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
In a statement to Generation Rescue, Ms. Jennings said she would like people to think carefully, educate themselves on vaccine side effects and to look seriously at natural remedies for flu and H1N1 before they accept a seasonal flu shot.
Natural remedies??

Are those the ones were we pray to be saved, or the ones were we drink 10 glasses of water a day while facing north??

If she has a side effect of this kind from a flu shot then it was just as likely she would have suffered death or major problems related to flu. In fact it is probably more likely. Besides vaccines aren't about helping just the individual, they are about helping everyone (small pox, polio anyone???).

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
Natural remedies??

Are those the ones were we pray to be saved, or the ones were we drink 10 glasses of water a day while facing north??

If she has a side effect of this kind from a flu shot then it was just as likely she would have suffered death or major problems related to flu. In fact it is probably more likely. Besides vaccines aren't about helping just the individual, they are about helping everyone (small pox, polio anyone???).
some people in the medical world feel that too many vaccines might be seriously weakening humans natural immune system.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
some people in the medical world feel that too many vaccines might be seriously weakening humans natural immune system.

Huh? Vaccines essentially stimulate the immune system to produce the antigens necessary to fight off whatever virus the body is exposed to. I can't see how it could weaken the immune system.

Essensen

Essensen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Huh? Vaccines essentially stimulate the immune system to produce the antigens necessary to fight off whatever virus the body is exposed to. I can't see how it could weaken the immune system.

I think Tech is referring to the theory that if we provide the body with these vaccines the body won't 'learn' to fight these things itself and will be left weakened when another virus attacks. I know that's a theory which is out there.

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
I think Tech is referring to the theory that if we provide the body with these vaccines the body won't 'learn' to fight these things itself and will be left weakened when another virus attacks. I know that's a theory which is out there.
this.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think it's good with medicine to exercise caution before making unnecessary decisions. I am not anti vaccine by any means, I look at how diseases like Polio, TB, smallpox have been wiped out, and even things like the HPV vaccine in women seems very well tested and effective.

But, are flu vaccines needed? Maybe, maybe not. Statistically speaking, more people will die from the flu if they weren't vaccinated than if they received the vaccine and had a reaction to it.

I don't hold much credit in theories about vaccines weakening the body's natural defense, because by very definition, they expose the body to the antigen which enhances the body's ability to generate a humoral immunity response, and quickly/effectively produce antibodies to fight the antigen, should we be exposed to it (as Tim alluded to).

But, what there is a major problem with is over medicating and weakening the body's ability to combat other instances of infection, with the main one being bacterial infections. Many physicians will have a knee jerk reaction and prescribe antibiotics at the first sign of a sore throat, or something similar. The problem with this is that the bacteria can mutate, and antibiotic resistant strains can form, which the body is unable to properly defend. There is no doubt about this in my opinion, which is backed up by truckloads of credible scientific literature.

Having said all this, I choose not to get a flu shot, and I won't be getting a H1N1 flu shot. Still, I know that statistically I am much more likely to die or become ill from not getting the vaccine, than I am from getting it, however I have faith that through healthy living (avoiding excess germs, eating healthy, exercising) I will be able to combat any infections, and I choose not to risk being the one in tens of thousands who does have a serious reaction to a vaccine that lead to lifelong consequences.

I also feel that when the government works with physicians and puts the pressure on them, just because they feel the need to "do something", and they rush the development and production of a half-assed vaccine that hasn't been verified with nearly the same scrutiny that other vaccines have, that could have trouble written all over it.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Fuck the Vaccine.

ive only had the flu once in my life, and im a slobby mother fucker...

R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I don't hold much credit in theories about vaccines weakening the body's natural defense, because by very definition, they expose the body to the antigen which enhances the body's ability to generate a humoral immunity response, and quickly/effectively produce antibodies to fight the antigen, should we be exposed to it (as Tim alluded to).
this.

But, what there is a major problem with is over medicating and weakening the body's ability to combat other instances of infection, with the main one being bacterial infections. Many physicians will have a knee jerk reaction and prescribe antibiotics at the first sign of a sore throat, or something similar. The problem with this is that the bacteria can mutate, and antibiotic resistant strains can form, which the body is unable to properly defend. There is no doubt about this in my opinion, which is backed up by truckloads of credible scientific literature.

But antibiotics are a necessity or else people will die from simple curable illnesses. Myself for example, i just had strep throat a few weeks ago, leave that uncurable and it attacks the heart and could end up killing an individual. That is why the doctors prescribe more then needed medicine to take away the symptoms, and to make sure all of the bacteria is killed and doesnt get a chance to stick around and multiply again and get stronger. (but im sure you already knew this..)

FuManChu

FuManChu

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thats terrible...
Now i dont wanna get a flu shot :bitenails:

I know its not something to laugh at, but all i can think of is what Eddie says in Christmas Vacation when asked about his metal plate:
"Every time Catherine would rev up the microwave, I'd piss my pants and forget who I was for about half an hour"
:iorofl:

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think it's good with medicine to exercise caution before making unnecessary decisions. I am not anti vaccine by any means, I look at how diseases like Polio, TB, smallpox have been wiped out, and even things like the HPV vaccine in women seems very well tested and effective.

But, are flu vaccines needed? Maybe, maybe not. Statistically speaking, more people will die from the flu if they weren't vaccinated than if they received the vaccine and had a reaction to it.

Having said all this, I choose not to get a flu shot, and I won't be getting a H1N1 flu shot. Still, I know that statistically I am much more likely to die or become ill from not getting the vaccine, than I am from getting it, however I have faith that through healthy living (avoiding excess germs, eating healthy, exercising) I will be able to combat any infections, and I choose not to risk being the one in tens of thousands who does have a serious reaction to a vaccine that lead to lifelong consequences.

I also feel that when the government works with physicians and puts the pressure on them, just because they feel the need to "do something", and they rush the development and production of a half-assed vaccine that hasn't been verified with nearly the same scrutiny that other vaccines have, that could have trouble written all over it.

I couldn't agree more.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
But antibiotics are a necessity or else people will die from simple curable illnesses. Myself for example, i just had strep throat a few weeks ago, leave that uncurable and it attacks the heart and could end up killing an individual. That is why the doctors prescribe more then needed medicine to take away the symptoms, and to make sure all of the bacteria is killed and doesnt get a chance to stick around and multiply again and get stronger. (but im sure you already knew this..)

For sure, but like I mentioned, it's more the knee jerk reaction as soon as someone gets a sore throat. Of course antibiotics are some of the most useful drugs in medicine (I too recently got much needed use from them, but we won't go there).

Louie JP, Bell LM. Appropriate use of antibiotics for common infections in an era of increasing resistance. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2002 Feb;20(1):69-91.

In many respects, antibiotics have changed medicine forever. Countless lives have been enhanced and saved with antibiotic use. Unfortunately, the medical community has opened Pandora's box through the casual distribution of outpatient antibiotics. Society will indeed suffer, as well as the medical profession, if antibiotics are not used judiciously. To date, the rate of penicillin resistance has steadily risen in North America and in many other areas of the world. Much of the increase in resistance has been caused by the distribution of antibiotics for viral infections (e.g., bronchitis, colds, or purulent nasal discharge) as well as nonstreptococcal throat infections. Parental pressure for physicians to prescribe antibiotics also has contributed to the rise in antibiotic resistance. The authors have discussed many common pediatric ED infections and have illustrated the key points for making the diagnosis of each. In addition, the authors also recommend the appropriate choice of antibiotics for each disease process, with an emphasis on narrow-spectrum, first-line antimicrobials. Physicians, as the "holders of the prescription pad," should be aware of the problems with increasing bacterial resistance especially ED practitioners who work on the front line. In addition, families and patients should be educated about the harm of inappropriate antibiotic use. The AAP publishes pamphlets for parents that discuss these issues. It is believed, as was seen in Finland and Japan, that judicious use of antibiotics leads to a decrease in resistant bacteria and prolong antibiotic usefulness. This is an issue of great importance to the long-term health of patients. What Benjamin Rush stated in 1789 is true today: "Do not condemn, or oppose, unnecessarily, the simple, prescriptions of your patients. Yield to them in matters of little consequence but maintain an inflexible authority over matters that are essential to life."