• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Deadlift - Shoe's or bare feeted?

X

Xiva

Banned
When you deadlift/Rackpull. Do you deadlift/rackpull without or with shoes?

If you do it with shoes, what shoes/Slippers do you use?

Anabolicus

Anabolicus

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I squat and deadlift barefeet (socks).

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
I do with trainers. I do need to get some other ones which have a flat base and are more solid.

ironheart

ironheart

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i do deadlifts without shoes, but rackpulls theres not much difference as you can ajust the hight of the bar.

miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
with shoes, sometimes without.. don't matter to me.. i pull 550 anyway :coolguy:

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Chuck taylors for both.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
8335mqe-1.jpg

SQ and DL

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
curtisymoo

curtisymoo

socks for squat and dl

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I either wear my shoes or go barefoot. Usually in summer I go for barefeet.

The shoes I go for are either a flat-soled shoe like the Chucks or a "barefeet shoe" like the Nike Free. I would like to get some weightlifting shoes, but they are inappropriate for deadlifting.

Couple of things you have to consider though. The advantage of barefoot training can also be its downfall. The lack of arch support, especially on the heaviest lifts you will perform in the gym, is not always good for foot health.

The main reasons for going barefoot while deadlifting or squatting are ROM and proprioceptive feedback. The latter point is the reason weightlifting shoes have a hard wooden sole and why Chucks are loved by PLers. The proprioceptive feedback will help with lifting and body position. It is, however, important to note that you can't just suddenly go barefoot and lift heavy, you need to adjust to lifting in barefeet. The other point, a slightly shorter ROM on the deadlift, is only really important during competition.

This is always a moot point in most gyms though as they have liability issues related to shoes. Also for those with high arches you really shouldn't be barefoot training on your heavy days too much anyway.

X

Xiva

Banned
Thanks for the respons :)

Very important points, and that's exactly what i was thinking as well (even tho my lift aren't that heavy - yet!)

The thing is i squat in my Ironworkers and when i do deadlift/other exercises i'm just having my normal shoes, pretty low flat, but they still have some heel. And this guy came over to me "get those shoes off when you deadlift :)"

co05

co05

The shoes I go for are either a flat-soled shoe like the Chucks or a "barefeet shoe" like the Nike Free.

How are the Frees and what's the support like? I only got a quick look at the floor model (I think they were the 5.0s) and the sole seemed to have a bit of squish to it.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
How are the Frees and what's the support like? I only got a quick look at the floor model (I think they were the 5.0s) and the sole seemed to have a bit of squish to it.

I like them for most things, deadlift they are only ok, but everything else they have been good.

They aren't anything like barefeet, but I do have better balance and movement in them than other shoes. They do squish a bit but they move more like your foot so the squish doesn't cause movement problems like other shoes. The support is more similar to barefeet than shoes, but it does offer some arch support and cushion under the feet, so you can run, jump, skip rope, etc.

Ideally you would have a pair of Frees (or similar), a pair of Weightlifting shoes and a pair of Chucks for all your lifting/training situations. I think for most people either a pair of Frees or Chucks should be the choice.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Weightlifting shoes are too expensive :(

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Weightlifting shoes are too expensive :(

I think that everyone who has owned or does own a pair says they are worth every penny (from my research into buying a pair).

The hard part is sizing considering that you have to order them online.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Yeah, I'm not willing to shell out the money right now for them when I can buy a pair of chucks over the internet for $30 haha

X

Xiva

Banned
I bought a pair of ironworkers some time ago, and that was a very good investment :)

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I wear my chucks on Deadlift day.