• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Correct way to wrap knees ?

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
Hey recently bought some knee wraps.

I was wondering what is the correct way to wrap? I saw PJ video on rx muscle, he only wraps from the knee up.. he says that way is the correct way to prevent knee cap injuries?

most people I see wrap them from bottom up?

so what's your opinion?

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Maybe this can help

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
^^

so the bow tie is better?

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
why do you want to use wraps? are you entering a powerlifting contest?

not for now. I bought them cause I'm starting a strenght phase late this month where I will max sometimes and work in really low reps. After my last phase done without wraps I though I might feel more comfortable to hit heavier weights this time wearing them.

do you use them Tunen? if so how do you wrap ?

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Natzo I don't think you're anywhere near the stage where you need to be considering wraps, unless of you're competing.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
Natzo I don't think you're anywhere near the stage where you need to be considering wraps, unless of you're competing.

humm... but they're nice..

I bought them to feel more confident and comfortable maxing out.

I'm using them to max out or in the 2-3 rep range.

but the question of this thread is what's the correct way to wrap your knees?
regardless if it's Natzo's beatifull knee caps or a powerlifting freshman's.

??

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
humm... but they're nice..

I bought them to feel more confident and comfortable maxing out.

I'm using them to max out or in the 2-3 rep range.

but the question of this thread is what's the correct way to wrap your knees?
regardless if it's Natzo's beatifull knee caps or a powerlifting freshman's.

??

The point of wrapping the knee is to provide elastic support and compression to the knee joint. That means you are wrapping above and below the joint as done in the vid Philo posted. The RXMuscle thing you refer to is garbage. Looking at the whole vid I wouldn't conclude that the bow-tie is best, but definitely better than the standard wrap and easier to get right than some of the others.

The second point I would make is this, if you aren't squatting at least double bodyweight and if you aren't competing then wraps don't really have a place in training. I think it is very legitimate to point this out and notice that the guys saying it are both heavy squatters (watch Tunen and ElFreakos vids in their logs).

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've highlighted some important points from guys that support the use of knee wraps.

From Dr. Squat:

Knee Wraps

Knee wraps have long been a mainstay for competitive powerlifters, and for good reason. When properly used, wraps can dramatically improve knee safety during heavy squatting. More important, however, is the fact that wraps give you at least a 5-10 percent increase in how much you can lift. But there's a downside to using wraps also.

Wearing them while squatting under 80-85 percent or so is counterproductive to providing adaptive overload to various tissues comprising the knee. Simply, the wrap absorbs the stress instead of the tissues, so they never get stronger.

Guidelines for wearing knee wraps during squatting are as follows:

1. Keeping your knees warm (wrapped loosely) improves blood flow and tissue elasticity.
2. If the weight you're using is greater than 80-85 percent of your maximum,or
3. If you have knee problems that require wearing wraps.

If you STILL insist on using them, go ahead and do so, but with the following points in mind. When buying knee wraps, opt for the ones that 1) weigh the most (more fabric equals greater protection, and 2) that stretch out to at least 19-20 feet in length (more times around the knee equals greater protection).

Do NOT purchase wraps that are bulky, heavily elasticized and stretch out to under fifteen feet. Tightness from elasticity is NOT affording you any real support!

Here are the steps to go through when putting your wraps on:

Sit on a chair or bench. Begin with the wrap completely stretched and rolled up (this makes the process much easier than fighting to stretch the wrap as you go).
With your leg straight, start applying the wrap below the knees, working upward. Wrapping from "in" to "out," (counterclockwise for the left leg, clockwise for the right -- this helps avoid improper patellar tracking), anchor the wrap by applying 2 layers below the knees, then move upward, overlapping each previous layer by one-half the width of the wrap.

Apply the wrap tightly as you move past the knee, stopping somewhere on the lower third of the thigh (powerlifting rules allow 10 centimeters above the patella).

Most of the wrap is wound around the leg just above the knee joint in orderto "pin" the quadriceps tendon to the femur below -- better leverage). Tuck the end of the wrap under the previous layer to secure it. Repeat for the other leg.

An alternative more suitable for fitness and bodybuilding, perhaps, is to wrap tightly around the upper shin (where the patellar ligament attaches), then more loosely wound over the kneecap itself (this is important to avoid grinding the patella into the femoral condyle, creating a case of chondromalacia for yourself), then tightly wound over the lower quarter of the thigh.

The rationale for wrapping the knees prior to heavy squatting is that it reduced the pulling forces on the lower quadriceps and the quadriceps tendon at it's attachment to the patella. This translates to significantly reduced chances of avulsing (detaching) your quadriceps tendon or tearing your quads during heavy squatting. The chances of your patellar tendon avulsing from your tibia are a bit less, but nonetheless omnipresent.

From Charles Staley
QUESTION:
Dear Charles,
I'm a powerlifter in my first year of training. An Olympic style weightlifter in my gym, who can squat a heck of a lot more than I can, suggested I train without knee wraps except for maximum attempts and save them for the contest arsenal. Do you agree with this wisdom?

ANSWER:

A car salesman may have some great selling tips; however, it's doubtful he would have the best closing tips for a computer salesman. Be especially wary of the "gym lawyer" (the big guy in the gym who tells everyone to train like him for good results).
In your case, the athlete isn't even from the same sport as you.

In any event, frequent use of knee wraps (and I'm referring to the heavy, elasticized-cotton wraps that powerlifters use) would be a big mistake for an Olympic lifter; however, you are a powerlifter and that's a different story.

Without question, knee wraps will help you hoist bigger weights, particularly on your squat - ten to twenty percent, as a matter of fact. In powerlifting, the total is all that matters, so obviously you want to do everything you can (within the confines of the rules, of course), to get every last pound you can.
Although greater weights can be handled using wraps, your quadriceps are actually relieved from some of the stress they'd ordinarily receive when you lift with wraps.

Another problem is that, even properly worn, knee wraps jam the patella against the femoral groove throughout the squatting movement, and over time, this may potentiate chondromalacia patellae (wearing away at the inside of the knee cap).

Given these risks, should you use the wraps in the gym with any regularity?

Yes, but with prudence.
Since the wraps take a little getting used to, they would be of little use to you in competition if you never use them in training.

You can get the best of both worlds by only using the wraps when you exceed a selected intensity, which, in my opinion, is 85% of 1RM and up.

To minimize the hazards on your knee joints, take the advice of renowned sports medicine lecturer, and co-founder of the ISSA, Dr. Sal Arria.Arria recommends wrapping your knees tightly in a cylindrical fashion around the upper shin (where the patellar ligament attaches), then more loosely over the kneecap itself, then tightly again over the lower third of the thigh.

Arria also suggests that wrapping the knees prior to heavy squatting reduces the pulling forces on the patellar ligament at it's attachment to the shin. This may translate to significantly reduced chances of avulsing (detaching) your patellar ligament during heavy leg movements.

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Maybe this can help

Great video. I've been wondering about these as well. I thought they'd come in handy when I'm doing ultra heavy squats with reps of 3 or less. Quincy Taylor uses them and he's 6''4. He says being that tall he needs a lot of support because he's got very long limbs and a huge range of motion. But what does it matter, he's gigantic! :thumbsup2:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Tim's already covered everything.

Natzo, don't use knee wraps :xyxthumbs:

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
thanks for all the answers guys, especially Tim.

I agree with what you say. I bought to feel more comfortable hitting at least double bodyweight squat has I was hitting without them in my last strenght phase.