• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Post-exercise meal vs. time?...

B

bvonrod

I've seen it stated several times that one should wait at least 45 minutes to an hour before eating anything post exercise other than a small amount of protein. First, this supposedly allows for the exercise "afterburn" to focus on fat stores and not newly ingested food. Secondly, eating shortly after working out decreases the positive hormonal reaction that weight training has. Does anyone have some input/opinions on these two statements? Thanks.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
That is awful advice. You want to have some carbohydrates and protein immediately following your workout. The carbohydrates are especially important because the body's #1 goal following a workout is to restore blood sugar after which the repair process is started. I drink a 900 calorie shake within 5 minutes of putting down the weight on my last set. If you are waiting 45 minutes your are allowing your anabolic window to close.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I don't know who gave you this advice bvonrod but stop listening to anything they have to say in future. Listen to Creator instead :thumbsup2:

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Get your PWO shake and make sure it contains fast carbs and protein. You wanna rebuild the damage that is done as soon as possible.

J

Jaspar

A little twist here: would it do any harm to take the shake after a 10-15 mins drive home on a bicycle (cardio), instead of right away after the workout? I go directly from the last set outside, on my bike, which would take aprox. 2 mins from last set to the start of the cardio.

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
actually i read that taking it IMMEDIATELY isnt as effective as taking it circa 10mins after you finish

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sorry to hijack, but is mixing Waxy maize, BCAA, CEE, and whey protein powder (2 and half scoops) bad? thats what i do, sometimes i sip it while working out, and others i gulp it down right after i workout.

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Source or refrain from posting.

Dave Barr said:
5. Consuming the drink immediately following the workout will elicit the greatest protein synthesis.

It’s amazing to see how more advanced, and often experienced, people behave in the gym when it comes to getting their post workout meal. Some guys even sit there, right after their last set, and slug back a drink! In fact I’ve even heard "as soon as the weight hits the floor" touted as the war cry for the hardcore. While this is actually a sub-optimal practice for muscle growth and recovery, not to mention borderline obsessive compulsive, it’s good to see their heart is the right place.

Comparing research that used drinks consumed immediately after a workout (Tipton et al., 2001) versus those ingested an hour after training (Rasmussen et al., 2000), the results are surprising: it seems that post workout meal ingestion actually results in 30% lower protein synthesis rates than when we wait! So every time we thought that we were badass for drinking "as soon as the weight hit the floor, we were actually short changing ourselves. Not a big deal, that’s why we read T-Nation. Let’s just learn, adapt, and move on.

Strike two for the one hour post workout window.

what is your opinion and do you know of any reports dealing with this?

Last edited by a moderator:
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
what is your opinion and do you know of any reports dealing with this?

I posted the Tipton abstracts he is referring to in this thread:

Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 281:
Vol. 281, Issue 2, E197-E206, August 2001

Timing of amino acid-carbohydrate ingestion alters anabolic response of muscle to resistance exercise
Kevin D. Tipton1,2, Blake B. Rasmussen1,2, Sharon L. Miller1,2, Steven E. Wolf1, Sharla K. Owens-Stovall1, Bart E. Petrini1, and Robert R. Wolfe1,2

The present study was designed to determine whether consumption of an oral essential amino acid-carbohydrate supplement (EAC) before exercise results in a greater anabolic response than supplementation after resistance exercise. Six healthy human subjects participated in two trials in random order, PRE (EAC consumed immediately before exercise), and POST (EAC consumed immediately after exercise). A primed, continuous infusion of L-[ring-2H5]phenylalanine, femoral arteriovenous catheterization, and muscle biopsies from the vastus lateralis were used to determine phenylalanine concentrations, enrichments, and net uptake across the leg. Blood and muscle phenylalanine concentrations were increased by ~130% after drink consumption in both trials. Amino acid delivery to the leg was increased during exercise and remained elevated for the 2 h after exercise in both trials. Delivery of amino acids (amino acid concentration times blood flow) was significantly greater in PRE than in POST during the exercise bout and in the 1st h after exercise (P < 0.05). Total net phenylalanine uptake across the leg was greater (P = 0.0002) during PRE (209 ± 42 mg) than during POST (81 ± 19). Phenylalanine disappearance rate, an indicator of muscle protein synthesis from blood amino acids, increased after EAC consumption in both trials. These results indicate that the response of net muscle protein synthesis to consumption of an EAC solution immediately before resistance exercise is greater than that when the solution is consumed after exercise, primarily because of an increase in muscle protein synthesis as a result of increased delivery of amino acids to the leg.

Not exactly the one that I would refer to as the actual window is not measured. Dave Barr is actually trying to compare two different study groups response to treatments that were not the same and conclude a higher response rate in protein synthesis for one of them....... :talkhand:

For me this entire post workout drink thing is pretty simple, and it is covered in one of those abstracts. Protein is needed after intense exercise to switch from catabolism to anabolism and you have a period of time of several hours to do this to see better gains in muscle than not doing so. Basically the sooner you switch over the better (response curves will be relative to a lot of other factors and something the nutrition people like IS can comment more on).

Carbs are also important, that article also tries to derride them in PWO for weightlifters. I agree with his point that carbs are overhyped as we just don't really burn that many, especially if you want to compare average Joe to the athletes they test. You still need the carbs though as you have just poured aminos into the bloodstream after exercise when the body's priority is to soak up glucose to replace what was used. Without the carbs the aminos will be used to convert to glucose (Cori Cycle) or for energy (Krebs Cycle). So protein alone could be taken, but it wasn't the reason you were originally consuming it and may short-change the benefits.

Last edited by a moderator:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
:49: :49: @ anything citing Dave Barr

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I went to gym, i was sipping the following during my workout.

2 and half scoops on ON 100% whey
serving and half of CEE
2+ servings of BCAAs 5000
almost two scoops of waxy maize starch

sipped till end of workout, then gulped down the rest (bout 2-3oz left) is that good to do too?

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i dont think it would be a good idea to have the whey in there, you know since your not supposed to leave whey protein in a mixture for long and it might cause the body to pull some blood away to digest it.
i`d say your better off with BCAAs only(regarding AMINOS)+ carbs etc.. and if you had to do what your doing, put A LOT of water so that the whey will not be concentrated and theres less chance of the digestion problem occuring.
thats my opinion. Am i talking out of my ass?

milos has a very elaborate description of what he thinks is a very good during workout drink

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
That is awful advice. You want to have some carbohydrates and protein immediately following your workout. The carbohydrates are especially important because the body's #1 goal following a workout is to restore blood sugar after which the repair process is started. I drink a 900 calorie shake within 5 minutes of putting down the weight on my last set. If you are waiting 45 minutes your are allowing your anabolic window to close.

x2.. i prefer 60 grams protein, 100 grams dextrose, 5 grams glutamine and 10 grams creatine.. (off season obviously)

but after that shake waiting 45 mins - 1 hour to have a solid meal is good advice..

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I went to gym, i was sipping the following during my workout.

2 and half scoops on ON 100% whey
serving and half of CEE
2+ servings of BCAAs 5000
almost two scoops of waxy maize starch

sipped till end of workout, then gulped down the rest (bout 2-3oz left) is that good to do too?

sipping on this during your workout? who gave you this advice? all you need during your workout is water unless you get one of those supps that increased your pump etc.. you should be waiting until after you train to drink your shake if you ask me..

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
actually i read that taking it IMMEDIATELY isnt as effective as taking it circa 10mins after you finish

LOL im sure waiting 10 minutes will MAKE a huge difference.. common sense wins again..

J

Jcbl

x2.. i prefer 60 grams protein, 100 grams dextrose, 5 grams glutamine and 10 grams creatine.. (off season obviously)

but after that shake waiting 45 mins - 1 hour to have a solid meal is good advice..

How does your pre-contest PWO shake look like, just out of curiosity.

l12l21l2012l

l12l21l2012l

since i stopped taking whey protein, i stopped shitting 4 times a day i lost 2 inches on my waist and my weight is going up better than before.

has anyone got any explanation for that?

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
since i stopped taking whey protein, i stopped shitting 4 times a day i lost 2 inches on my waist and my weight is going up better than before.

Must have been a protein with lactose in it and you were intolerant or had a reaction. This was causing distention and bloating of your midsection and the upset stomach you got from the reaction made your appetite decrease thus making it less likely to gain weight.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

A milk allergy would explain diarrhea and gastrointestinal inflammation/gas that could increase belt size if your always bloated. And if you replaced a liquid meal with solid food it makes sense that your weight would go up also. Liquid calories make you loose weight when compared to the same amount of calories from cooked food. They pass through the digestive system faster and cause a smaller response from the endocrine system which results in less weight gained. Unless of course we are talking about sugar water of any kind then the studies show the opposite which is a huge response from the endocrine system and a gain in weight.