• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

The Death of the Conventional Squat?

Cork

Cork

He lost me in the first 15 seconds when he said squats were not a lower body exercise.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
death to this guy, squats for life

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well I guess I don't have to squat anymore. I'll just make do with the good old leg press, hahaha! :p

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Mike Boyle is a coach not a scientist. His point is kinda valid, but at the same time he is talking about a limiter to heavy lifting and getting more out of training athletes.

In terms of maximally loading athletes to get the most out of their training, he is right. In terms of building muscle on the average guy, he is wrong. Lower back is going to limit things, but who cares, it could be glutes or hammys or calves or the like. Still got to get better to get bigger/stronger.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
My answer is:

If you do not squat, you do not bodybuild properly.

45.jpg

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Squats cure cancer, aids, swine flu and homosexuality!

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
cereal

cereal

yeah
^ like you said bro, squats ftw!

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Squats are so over-opinionated it gets annoying.... I love squats though (lol im a hypocrite)

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Squats are so over-opinionated it gets annoying.... I love squats though (lol im a hypocrite)

Eh?

Your statement makes on sense. Do you mean there are a lot of opinions on squats? Or did you mean to say they were over-hyped or overrated but you like them all the same.

Dear god I hope you don't mean the latter.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Eh?

Your statement makes on sense. Do you mean there are a lot of opinions on squats? Or did you mean to say they were over-hyped or overrated but you like them all the same.

Dear god I hope you don't mean the latter.

Over-Opinionated, i mean that the opinions are really polarized. One one side you have people saying " YOU SHOULDNT DO SQUATS! " and others saying " YOU HAVE TO DO SQUATS" and there is an absence of the inbetween and people wont shut up about it. I think instead of listening to the advocates and nay-sayers, people should learn propper form and if u still dont like it, dont do it. I tend to reserve judgment on squats because although i like doing them for myself, ive seen people who do not do them and still are able to develop muscular legs. Whenever one of my friends asks me to help them with training legs i always emphasise the benefits of squats and the benefits of full range of motion during squats (I always hated the football players in my highschool who thought they were the shit because they can move a bar a few inches)

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
LOL @ the second pic