• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

No wraps, no belt, no spotters

FlexFan

FlexFan

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ivan Chakarov, 91kg,olympic lifter(doesn't compete anymore,the vids are old).

3 x bodyweight x 3, again no gear...

Last edited by a moderator:
ironheart

ironheart

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
incredible

i've allways been impressed by olympic weightlifters. even the light guys are able to squat huge weights. and theres no half-squats or paralell squats here. they go all the way baby - ATG FTW!

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Squat win right here.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've posted this set of vids a few times, usually whenever someone carries on about shallow squat depth or that weird way people with shitty shoulders hold the bar.

The No-No-No squat. Love it every time! :xyxthumbs:

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
what are the physical changes that go through your muscles and tendons when training for strength that allow you to get stronger?

co05

co05

^^

Recruitment of more muscle fibers

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
Godlike squats, amazing.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
^^

Recruitment of more muscle fibers

IC, coz i usually just focus on stimulation and never really bothered to learn any science about strength, i was just curious.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
what are the physical changes that go through your muscles and tendons when training for strength that allow you to get stronger?

Its magic.

You lift heavy weights with good form and full ROM and you get stronger and bigger. :gaysign:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Different things happen. First is better recruitment patterns and more efficient recruitment of motor units. This is essentially skill at using your muscles.

Second is hypertrophy of skeletal tissues. This includes increases in bone density, hypertrophy of tendons, ligaments and muscle. Hard/non-contractile tissues take longer to hypertrophy in part due to their lower blood supply.

There are two types of hypertrophy: sarcoplasmic; and myofibrillar. Sarcoplasmic is common in bodybuilding, and is about increases in muscle cell size. Myofibrillar is common in strength training. Myofibrials are the cylindrical organelles of the muscle cells (muscle fibres of the cells if you will) and hypertrophy of these increases their size. You can also get division of myofibrils such that you end up with more "fibres" per cell, although this is far less common.

So strength is about increased skill of recruitment of muscle fibres using the motor units. To tap into the fast twitch fibres (the ones that are most likely to hypertrophy and also responsible for strength and explosive speed) you need to recruit the higher threshold motor units. This requires heavy loads (>80% of 1RM) or fast/explosive movements. This in turn trains you to use your muscles efficiently and to increase the size and strength of the muscles. For more on how muscles hypertrophy see the links below.

Last edited by a moderator:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Awesome. yeah, i never really new the science for strength but it was always common knoledge as to how to train for strength. I did strength training instead of bodybuilding for 1 month and i increased my bench by 55lbs, squat by 60 lbs, and deadlift for 40 lbs. but then i stopped coz it was time to go back to bodybuilding instead :)

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I did strength training instead of bodybuilding for 1 month and i increased my bench by 55lbs, squat by 60 lbs, and deadlift for 40 lbs. but then i stopped coz it was time to go back to bodybuilding instead :)

Try it for 6 months or even a year, or forever. I've packed on so much mass since turning fully to powerlifting. Nothing makes you grow like shifting big fucking weight. Just ask Reg Park, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Franco Columbo, Ronnie Coleman, etc. The former 3 trained like powerlifters for most of the year
round and only made any shifts to what you might call bodybuilder training during contest prep. And we all know The Big Nasty can shift big fucking weight like it was peanuts.

I might also add that a shift to strength training does not have to include abandoning bodybuilding principles. Just do the bodybuilding as part of your assistance work.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Very strong for sure but there is quite a lot of valgus of the knee when he's coming up from the bottom. I'm sure that can lend to injury.

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
how can you be sure hes not using any gear?

FlexFan

FlexFan

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

By gear it's meant lifting equipment - wraps,belts,etc....
If you ask about AAS...well he's an olympic lifter, former european and world champion that did nothing different from the other athletes...

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

You look at the video and see he isn't wearing anything other than shoes, shorts and a t-shirt.

As for AAS, I like that you think any elite level athlete isn't on everything they can get away with. Don't worry Santa is real too. :borat:

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i was refering to aas

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Try it for 6 months or even a year, or forever. I've packed on so much mass since turning fully to powerlifting. Nothing makes you grow like shifting big fucking weight. Just ask Reg Park, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Franco Columbo, Ronnie Coleman, etc. The former 3 trained like powerlifters for most of the year
round and only made any shifts to what you might call bodybuilder training during contest prep. And we all know The Big Nasty can shift big fucking weight like it was peanuts.

I might also add that a shift to strength training does not have to include abandoning bodybuilding principles. Just do the bodybuilding as part of your assistance work.

I have tried it before but i dont feel like i have the genetics for it. I have small, weak joints since i can remember. I've hurt my wrists so many times when i was younger simply because they coundnt handle the pay load but everytime they recovered they were so much stronger so they dont bother me anymore. Ive had problems with my chest tendons, shoulders, knees, elbows and so on.. I find it works better for me just focusing on stimulation rather than the ammount of weight im lifting. Ive never had the genetics for strength but i still lift enough weight to stimulate and grow. Obviously i can get stronger when training for strength but genetics still play a big role.

I am really strong (for me) in random exercizes though like DB Curls 60lbsX5 in each arm and DB Rows 135X6-8 in, with proper form, each arm.. my gym doesnt have dumbells heavier than that which is ok since i can get a great workout with less weight than that. And all the shoulder press machines (which doesnt really count since its machines)

.. damn talk about off topic lol

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I have tried it before but i dont feel like i have the genetics for it. I have small, weak joints since i can remember. I've hurt my wrists so many times when i was younger simply because they coundnt handle the pay load but everytime they recovered they were so much stronger so they dont bother me anymore. Ive had problems with my chest tendons, shoulders, knees, elbows and so on.. I find it works better for me just focusing on stimulation rather than the ammount of weight im lifting. Ive never had the genetics for strength but i still lift enough weight to stimulate and grow. Obviously i can get stronger when training for strength but genetics still play a big role.

I am really strong (for me) in random exercizes though like DB Curls 60lbsX5 in each arm and DB Rows 135X6-8 in, with proper form, each arm.. my gym doesnt have dumbells heavier than that which is ok since i can get a great workout with less weight than that. And all the shoulder press machines (which doesnt really count since its machines)

.. damn talk about off topic lol

I've got that lame light build as well. My wrist is only 16.5cm, yet I'm 182cm tall (you'd expect it to be ~18-18.5cm).

What I've noticed is that I can't do the crappy exercises. You have clearly found the same, but rather than stop you've just changed the weight. One of the first things that I found was crap was the pec dec, next was the smith machine, but I'm guessin you still use both.

My point is that you can still train heavy, you can still have decent lifts (I'd like to think that my training would be considered heavy by most) but you have to be smarter about things.