• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Powerlifting

92notch

92notch

Im planning on doing a power lifting tournament in a couple months and was wandering if you guys have any tips. Also, I plan on doing the comp raw and was wandering if I can use a belt or anything else.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I'll let others reply on the tips, but yes you are allowed to use a belt in powerlifting comps... although they have regulations on the size and thickness of the belt.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Gear regulations differ from fed to fed but belts are standard (usually no more than 10mm thick). Check with the fed you are planning on competing in.

What program/template are you using for contest prep?

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ i think u meant 10 cm thick

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ i think u meant 10 cm thick

He's meaning the thickness of the belt in terms of padding, not in terms of the width of the belt.

92notch if you could fill us in on a few more details we'd love to help. The gear you can use (belt, wraps, the type of wrap, etc) are determined by the federation that governs the event. So just look up their details. It's best to go in using what you are comfortable and familiar with, but if you have time to get used to stuff, use as much as is allowed.

In terms of training raw lifting shares a lot of similarities with most powerlifting. Main difference is emphasis on arms and glutes with geared lifting. Raw you have to still have a strong chest you tend to have a narrower (although not really narrow) stance in squats. So more time is spent of weak points off the chest and coming out of the hole.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I'm pretty sure padded belts aren't allowed.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm pretty sure padded belts aren't allowed.

Now you're just being obtuse. :bball:

By the padding I meant the bulk or thickness of the belt rather than the width, etc.

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What federation are competeing in?

I just finished a powerlifting competition this weekend that was put on by Donnie Thompson and won second in the Raw.

Train hard and heavy. Make sure you have everything planned out ahead of time and if you can get someone whos done a few before to help you as far as when you should warm-up etc.....

92notch

92notch

The competition i plan on doing is Jan 30, its the wisconsin states and milwaukee open. As of right now im just doing a routine i made up myself. It consists of heavy bench on monday, squats tuesday, wednesday off, light bench and auxiliary lifts on thursday and deadlifts on friday. I know this prob isnt the best routine, so if you have any suggestions let me know.
Also, I plan on competing at 198 pounds and im shootin for a 525 squat, 485 deadlift and a 325 bench.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thats not too bad of a routine as long as you hit it hard as hell on those days. your numbers look really good especially for your weight. How old are you?

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Great! I'm entering a PL meet on the same day.

IPA New Jersey States, I'm competing raw @148.

Hopefully I'll hit 320/275/330 or close to it........

Are you above or under weight now?

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
The competition i plan on doing is Jan 30, its the wisconsin states and milwaukee open. As of right now im just doing a routine i made up myself. It consists of heavy bench on monday, squats tuesday, wednesday off, light bench and auxiliary lifts on thursday and deadlifts on friday. I know this prob isnt the best routine, so if you have any suggestions let me know.
Also, I plan on competing at 198 pounds and im shootin for a 525 squat, 485 deadlift and a 325 bench.

Are you using a peaking phase in the last weeks before the comp?

92notch

92notch

Im ten pounds over weight right now and im 21, yea im going to try to peak the last week before the comp.

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm about 5 pounds overweight now. I was 10 until I cut lots of carbs out for a few weeks and dropped that first 5 pretty quickly. Now for the last 5......

92notch

92notch

yea cuttin the weight sucks, i plan on starting to drop weight the first of january, cut some carbs and do some cardio