• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Looking for a puppy!

A

akafuqin

Just can't seem to find a breed right for the household. Medium sized dog would be nice, large is ok as well. Definitely don't want a small toy dog! Any tips on breeds you guys can hand at me? Last time I had a dog was when I was in 3rd grade so I'm a tad bit more responsible... MexiFRO pointed me towards a lab retriever, but I feel like I need to look up on other breeds.

So what kind of a dog breed do you guys have? Looking to get it after Christmas.

Haha @ the I hate Dogs thread then this.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Don't write off small dogs. I understand what you mean about small dogs and the "you can't be seen walking a little white fluffy thing in public". But small dogs are generally easier to live around, because even if they are super active they are still not as active as some big dogs (take a small dog for a run and it is done, take a big dog and it will want to keep going!).

We have a bitsa. I wrote off poodles, without realising that they are great dogs, it's just the owners that are crazy.

I'd recommend looking at small to medium dogs, and don't necessarily go for a pure breed. I'm yet to meet a pure bred dog that doesn' have all sorts of health issues. Have a look at the ones that don't shed as well, dog hair gets a bit old after awhile. Poodles, terriers, beagles (although they can be too smart), collies, etc.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I want one of these...
englishbulldog-1.jpg

A

akafuqin

Don't write off small dogs. I understand what you mean about small dogs and the "you can't be seen walking a little white fluffy thing in public". But small dogs are generally easier to live around, because even if they are super active they are still not as active as some big dogs (take a small dog for a run and it is done, take a big dog and it will want to keep going!).

We have a bitsa. I wrote off poodles, without realising that they are great dogs, it's just the owners that are crazy.

I'd recommend looking at small to medium dogs, and don't necessarily go for a pure breed. I'm yet to meet a pure bred dog that doesn' have all sorts of health issues. Have a look at the ones that don't shed as well, dog hair gets a bit old after awhile. Poodles, terriers, beagles (although they can be too smart), collies, etc.

Well I mean part of the reason for not wanting a small dog was because our neighborhood runs rampant with stray cats, and I wasn't planning on having a chihuahua or wiener dog since I didn't think they'd do much. But I'm sure I can beef up the dog a bit!

I'm not opting for a purebred either, expensive down payment! I'm more inclined to spending a lot of money OVER a period of time and not immediately on the dog haha.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ The breed you mention are not actually small dogs, they are termed toy dogs. I agree they are pointless.

Small dogs are stuff like beagles, cocker spaniels, terriers, shetland sheepdogs, jack russel (although can be really small), heelers. If it is a small dog it is 5-15kg fully grown. Medium is 15-25kg. I wouldn't want a dog any bigger than the one we have at 20kg.

Also an easy point to make and select for is "does it look like a dog"? You'll be surprised at how many pure breds have some feature (snout face, stumpy legs, etc) that just doesn't look right on a dog. Also most of the staphies and bulldog type breeds have massive skin and hip problems. You can just about guaruntee that the dog will have arthritis quite young.

co05

co05

Maltese.

They're well behaved, easy to keep clean (as long as you keep the coat short), hypoallergenic and have a whole lot of gusto for a dog so small.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Maltese.

They're well behaved, easy to keep clean (as long as you keep the coat short), hypoallergenic and have a whole lot of gusto for a dog so small.

Plus they are tiny, white, fluffy and don't make you look gay at all when you take them for walkies :borat:

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I want a German Shepard... lots of work, but worth it IMO.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Big VIC

Big VIC

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Rottweiler they are the loyalist dogs I have ever had.

"According to the FCI Standard, the Rottweiler is good-natured, placid in basic disposition and fond of children, it is very devoted, obedient, biddable and eager to work. Their appearance is natural and rustic, their behaviour self-assured, steady and fearless. They react to their surroundings with great alertness."

"The American Kennel Club says it is basically a calm, confident and courageous dog with a self-assured aloofness that does not lend itself to immediate and indiscriminate friendships. A Rottweiler is self-confident and responds quietly and with a wait-and-see attitude to influences in its environment. It has an inherent desire to protect home and family, and is an intelligent dog of extreme hardness and adaptability with a strong willingness to work, making them especially suited as a companion, guardian and general all-purpose dog."

jwill0214

jwill0214

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Swedish or Bernese (spelling may be wrong) mountain dogs.

D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
we have two cockerspaniels
awesome dogs and they are always happy

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
purebreds are over rated, mixes can be fun. Look for a bulldog mixed with a shitzu ;)

A

akafuqin

So after christmas i was set...then i bought my parking permit for my college, filled up my gas tank, pitched in for beer money a couple times, realized i have to buy my own books and came down to....

a fucking pause on getting a dog. no money. :/ damnit