• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Training for a 5k and Bodybuilding

Big VIC

Big VIC

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hello Everybody

My quest for being a competitive Bodybuilder continues, I am currently bulking I am 203-205 lbs on a good day, Making great gains but running a 5k has sparked my interest. Do you guys think that the training for this 5k will be detrimental to my overall gains or hardly effect it at all.

P.S. I would bump up my Calories even more during training for this.

Thanks for your input.

P

power

It will lead to overtraining, to much cardio.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

How????? Do you know what overtraining is????

Vic the 5k isn't a huge distance and it is really just about running on your off days. Really this is just your cardio replacement. Consider doing the running on a forgiving surface and get some good shoes, at ~90kg you could have joint problems or shin splints. Also standard warning about easing into the running to acclimitise.

Remember to keep the calories up and don't hammer yourself in a run before or after a leg day. Running the day after a leg day should probably be one of the lighter days of running as essentially active recovery. The day before should be a standard run and not the day that you push yourself to a faster pace or longer distance.

As long as you observe proper nutrition/recovery running should fit in fine.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP

Overtraining :rofl3:

This isn't true. Lots of bodybuilders and powerlifters are in the military and manage to balance out their lifting with the PT. It just takes more careful consideration in program choice and frequency, and diet and recovery.

Eat more, rest more and be extra sensible with your lifting and you should be fine.

To quote the Barbarian Brothers: "There is no such thing as over training, just under nutrition and under sleeping"
barbarians-1.gif

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
5k will be easy to combine with BB as long as you dont try to run WR times. Ive done it in the past with even longer distances althought imo after 15k it begins to interfere with your gains.

P

Pain

VIP
5k is nothing to worry about. If it was 10k+, you'd have some training to do... but still, 10k isn't really that much either to worry about.

3k only takes 30-40 minutes to do... probably not even that.

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
3k only takes 30-40 minutes to do... probably not even that.

30-40 minutes? I ran a 3k in 12 minutes after boot camp, and there were several who ran it faster than me. to spend 30-40 minutes ud had to walk slowly the whole distance.

Vic, u should definetely go for it bro. if it interests you. dont listen to this overtraining bullshit. lifting weights is no excuse for getting out of breath when walking to ur mailbox. everyone should do some higher intensity cardio to increase their o2 uptake. especially when u carry more muscle than a normal individual. just because more muscle mass/weight requires the heart to work harder.

P

Pain

VIP
30-40 minutes? I ran a 3k in 12 minutes after boot camp, and there were several who ran it faster than me. to spend 30-40 minutes ud had to walk slowly the whole distance.

Vic, u should definetely go for it bro. if it interests you. dont listen to this overtraining bullshit. lifting weights is no excuse for getting out of breath when walking to ur mailbox. everyone should do some higher intensity cardio to increase their o2 uptake. especially when u carry more muscle than a normal individual. just because more muscle mass/weight requires the heart to work harder.

30-40 minutes if you don't do a lot of running.

run/jog/run/jog

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

I was hoping you'd comment Bulky. You're a pretty good example of someone who carries some decent mass and yet can still do all the running and army training.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree with what has been said. While increasing cardiovascular endurance and strength at the same time can be very difficult to accomplish, this distance shouldn't be cause for concern.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It feels good from time to time as well. The get out and run for a hour. Next year I will do some more cardio as well. I feel healtier that way for some reason.