• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Too Much Protein?

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
I weigh 180, does it matter how many grams of protein do i consume per shake? i take in 50 grams a shake two or 3 times a day.... Just wonderin. I chose 50 because its a large number but small enough for my protein to last.

Another question. I was taking vanilla flavored and i took 2X5lb tubs and i felt fine but i just started taking chocolate a couple of weeks ago and im feeling bloated and gassy. Ive heard that whey protein can do that (dont know if its myth) but then again i felt fine when i was taking the vanilla one. So is it just me or can the change in flavor/formula cause that? they both contain lactose and they are both Optimum Nutrition 100% whey gold standard

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'll not take more than 2 grams of protein per KG of bodyweight.

81 kilos x 2 grams per kilo = 162 grams

And of course you have to count in your protein coming from regular food.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
I chose 50 because its a large number but small enough for my protein to last.
:bitelip:

just do what Msv1 said.. count your total protein intake, if you're not having the 2g per pound, complete with shakes.

for your bodyweight a shake with 25g should be enough, more than that FOR YOUR BODYWEIGHT I think it's a waste, I would take the 50 g post workout though.. cause you have the chance to absorb more at that time..

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The proven needs for strength athletes is 1.6-1.8g/kg of protein. But honestly this amount is not really important as compared to the macro intake. Macro ratios could have 15% protein and include this amount if calories are high enough, but if calories are low then it needs to be a greater proportion.

The actual amount you can consume in any given sitting is actually quite a large amount, but you become less efficient at absorption with larger intakes all at one sitting. Best to space your protein out, or alternatively make sure it is in a complex (i.e. as a meal with fats and carbs).

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Different sized athletes require different nutrition.

Tim brougt up the point i wanted to bring up and that was that for growth ,which is what i assume you are after, protein is not the only thing to consider. With that said bc your question is about protein i will answer about protein.

At your bodyweight i would not consume 50grams of protein per meal. If u weighed 250 i would say go for it. The reason a more muscle bound athlete can have more protein when they have more muscle is that your body has more muscle performing more muscle building protein synthesis.

As a result, assuming your dietary needs are in sync with your weight training, you're body can deal with/requires more protein per serving/more protein as a whole to maintain the muscle u have and continue building new muscle.

This does not mean you need some insane amount of protein, especially in the off season when protein sparing should be at its highest from carbohydrate in take and appropriate fat consumption. But it does mean you can bump it some if your training requires the added protein to keep a positive nitrogen balance.

To sum up your diet should go hand in hand with what you need to heal from your training and to grow little by little. So if you want to add more calories to your diet then add some weight to the barbell or some sets to the routine and bump carbohydrates and protein slightly in all of your meals until the weight plateaus then add more weight to the barbell and more food to the det. The idea is that the added training will require additional food to keep growing so your cells dont end up performing exergonic reactions(catabolic) to liberate nutrition and energy to repair the damaged muscle cells.

Your second question about the chocolate protein. The only information off of the top of my head that i remember learning about cocoa, besides its antioxidant content, is that cocoa contains theobromines that act like methylxanthines. They have a similar but weaker effect than caffeine. The dilate the blood vessels and relax smooth muscle. Your digestive system is laoded with smooth muscle, but i would not tink chocolate would be a strong enough stimulant to effect digestion but i could be wrong. The easy answer is to j switch back to vanilla if chocolate is causing you problems.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
THANKS GUYS! now ill save more money i hope lol.

Unfortunately im not too consistant with my solid foods because i tend to be broke lol. I think my mom is bringing home a lot of chicken breast, steak, and fish so ill do well next week. Somtimes i get half of my protein in a day from shakes because theres not enough solid protein.

If i had a few days where i go low carb, will i have to increase the protein in my protein/bodyweight ratio?

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
THANKS GUYS! now ill save more money i hope lol.

Unfortunately im not too consistant with my solid foods because i tend to be broke lol. I think my mom is bringing home a lot of chicken breast, steak, and fish so ill do well next week. Somtimes i get half of my protein in a day from shakes because theres not enough solid protein.

If i had a few days where i go low carb, will i have to increase the protein in my protein/bodyweight ratio?

If it were me personally i would decrease the intensity and volume of my training so i required less food bc my muscles would not be worn down as harshly, and then i would see what i needed to do to keep my calories high. If worse came to worse i would buy a gallon of milk for the day and drink an 8-16 ounce glass with every meal, but diarrhea might become a problem. Carbohydrates are the cheapest foods to buy, oats, grits, ect are all very cheap. I would think protein would be harder to get access to than carbohydrates, but i guess i'm wrong in your case. Are u intentionally going low carb or is it economic related?

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Intentionally. Im not low carb now but once in a while i go a couple of weeks low carb where i would eat a cup of oatmeal, and two slices of wheat bread (sandwich) to cut down a bit for a few days on and a few days off.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
then if thats the purpose to cut down then drop the carbs enough so u drop weight. but no it is not necessary to bump the protein you would be reversing the effect dropping your calories would have on your weight by adding in more protein, which as a source of energy is not as good as carbohydrates bc our bodies have less enzymes to produce atp out of protein and more enzymes to produce atp out of carbohydrates.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Cool Thanks... I trip out on how much fat i drop when i go low carb.... like 3 months ago i went low to zero carb for a few weeks with about 3 carbload days a week and i lost like 10 lbs.... i ended up gaining muscle because i doubled my protein intake ( i wasnt eating much before that). It was pretty cool but then i got the flu about a week after i started bulking again and it totally sucked plus i was doing way too much cardio because of work. I feel OK now though, i been eating clean and often.... Exept these last two days i barely ate because i was low on grosseries, i did shoulders today and i was totally flat :/ ... " It all started at the age of twelve....." * tells life story*

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Big VIC

Big VIC

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Cool Thanks... I trip out on how much fat i drop when i go low carb.... like 3 months ago i went low to zero carb for a few weeks with about 3 carbload days a week and i lost like 10 lbs.... i ended up gaining muscle because i doubled my protein intake ( i wasnt eating much before that). It was pretty cool but then i got the flu about a week after i started bulking again and it totally sucked plus i was doing way too much cardio because of work. I feel OK now though, i been eating clean and often.... Exept these last two days i barely ate because i was low on grosseries, i did shoulders today and i was totally flat :/ ... " It all started at the age of twelve....." * tells life story*

you are eating fats when you go "low carb" right?

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
yes, i never cut out fats... only when im high carb im a little more conservative with fats

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

:talkhand:
Why do you troll around and pick out tim's posts? You are picking a fight you cannot win, so what is the point exactly?
You clearly are rather intelligent, and knowing that your degree is in nutrition, why don't you give some input rather than just being a douche? If you didn't talk to others like you are superior to them or that you know all and they do not know anything then maybe others would respond better to you. You will never get anywhere with anyone with the way you approach people. Contribute, or don't post at all.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

I am disappointed in you. You did not even post a replacement for his idea or tell us why you believe he is wrong. You are not beyond the requirements of an arguement or of scientific method. This is not the sign of an intellectual this is the sign of a coward and a person lacking confidence in his knowledge.

Tell us your belief and give us your reasoning or do not post. You are adding nothing, and if that is your intention then TIM ban him he is a waste of time. Anyone can read and reason. Jorn T is nothing special. I am convinced he is bull headed more than anything else. His knowledge is average at best. He displays the intelligence portrayed by college graduates at best and every one of his posts i have read does not go much past basic knowledge needed for a nutritionist in the health field.

Present the knowledge or stop wasting our time with cries for attention.

J

jornT

I am disappointed in you. You did not even post a replacement for his idea or tell us why you believe he is wrong. You are not beyond the requirements of an arguement or of scientific method. This is not the sign of an intellectual this is the sign of a coward and a person lacking confidence in his knowledge.

Tell us your belief and give us your reasoning or do not post. You are adding nothing, and if that is your intention then TIM ban him he is a waste of time. Anyone can read and reason. Jorn T is nothing special. I am convinced he is bull headed more than anything else. His knowledge is average at best. He displays the intelligence portrayed by college graduates at best and every one of his posts i have read does not go much past basic knowledge needed for a nutritionist in the health field.

Present the knowledge or stop wasting our time with cries for attention.

Ironslave can vouch that my Bachelor thesis went about the effects of protein on resistance training outcomes and that I read EVERY study in relation to this. I must have average knowledge about protein right? Especially since no else has pointed out why Tim is wrong and still don't know it now I've said it
Ironslave read that thesis so he can also vouch that Tim is wrong. I do not feel the need to tell you guys why (i'm the bad guy anyway), I'm just trying to get a message across to Tim.

You're allowed to think I'm a jackass, but that does not mean I'm not right.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ironslave can vouch that my Bachelor thesis went about the effects of protein on resistance training outcomes and that I read EVERY study in relation to this. I must have average knowledge about protein right? Especially since no else has pointed out why Tim is wrong and still don't know it now I've said it
Ironslave read that thesis so he can also vouch that Tim is wrong. I do not feel the need to tell you guys why (i'm the bad guy anyway), I'm just trying to get a message across to Tim.

You're allowed to think I'm a jackass, but that does not mean I'm not right.

Post your thesis. It involves amino acid pool and amino acid recycling?

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP

It involves my balls in his mouth... LOL im jk jornt... Sounds interesting that you would disagree with what tim said since ive heard that same thing from many people for many years. It would be good to hear what you have to say on that matter. Please post atleast an abstract or something. :D

J

jornT

I wont, for reasons I posted in the big drama topic.

But I'll give you a link on this matter (note: this is a one time thing, just so people can see that everytime I have been saying somehing my information was correct and subsequently that of Tim was wrong)

Also the not so geeky guys might like this. It is easy readable and written by Layne Norton:

http://agro-food-industry.teknoscienze.com/pdf/norton_AF2_09.PDF