• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

How to Deadlift

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Some useful tips in this article and video.

How to Set Up on the Deadlift
By Jim Smith

Most of the time, you’ll see the deadlift performed like a cat taking a shit. You know what I mean—the arch and twitch technique? There are a ton of reasons why someone would deadlift this way:

· Their form sucks.

· The weight is too heavy.

· Fatigue has set in.

· They aren’t flexible or mobile enough to set up according to their individual leverages.

· Their core strength sucks.

· They like cats.

It doesn’t matter what the reason is. The goal of any good training program that utilizes ground-based compound movements is to build strength and become more powerful. But this can’t be done at the risk of safety. You have to improve your technique, which will save your back in the long run and get you to your goals.

I had previously filmed a very popular shoulder rehab protocol (see below) and wanted to do the same for the deadlift because it’s notorious for bad technique. I’ve also received tons of emails asking me for help with deadlift form, so I wanted to break down the lift into simple, easy-to-apply steps that anyone can follow.

Here are some simple, real world cues for setting up on the deadlift that can help you improve your technique.

1. The feet: Your feet should be placed approximately shoulder width apart, but it will be completely individualized. Even recently, just a small change in my own foot placement allowed me to keep more tension off the floor and get better leverage. Make sure your feet are flat and driving downward. If you drop your hips to pull and your ankles roll to the outside or the inside, something isn’t optimal. Change your shoes, change your foot placement, or maybe even improve your ankle mobility.

2. The shins: Your shins should start approximately 4–6 inches off the bar so that when you load into the bar, you can translate your shins and knees forward. This will allow your hips to drop into place and keep your lower back arched with appropriate tension. If you are too close to the bar, you’ll never be able to get the right line of pull or optimal leverage.

3. The grip: Your hands should be right outside your legs to minimize the hip angle and decrease the distance you have to pull. We always recommend pulling double overhand until your grip gives out. Then switch to a hook grip or even use straps. I usually don’t let my athletes pull with an alternated grip.

4. The air: You must catch your air before the lift. This, along with a powerful isometric contraction of not only the abdominals but all of the muscles that surround the torso (anterior and posterior), will give you the tension to lift the weight with good form and protect the spine. With conventional deadlifts, I like to catch the air with the hips high before the drop so I can get the maximal amount of air in. Once the hips are dropped, you’re compressed (especially if you have a belt on), and you might be limited in your breathing.

5. The tension: Like previously stated, massive amounts of tension must be created not only across the quads, hamstrings, and glutes but also the grip and back. Remember, the more tension you can create, the stronger you’ll be and the more protected your spine and back will be. This tension allows your body to act as a single unit or one kinetic chain. One important tip for this cue is never forget the tension in the upper back. This is key to pulling it all together. You will immediately feel stronger if you can create tension across your back by squeezing the bar down and “flexing” the armpits, pulling the lats into the lift.

6. The pull: By driving your feet downward into the floor, the weight will begin its upward movement. Don’t allow your hips to rise too fast into a straight legged (stiff legged) position. As the bar hits the knees, a powerful glute contraction will lock you into a straight (line) torso position. This is a common error for most lifters who try and overpull after the bar crosses their knees and they move into hyperextension.

7. The return: Don’t lower the weight straight down. Instead, load the hamstrings and glutes with a Romanian deadlift movement back to the knees. Once it reaches the knees, move the bar straight downward back to the floor where you can stroke another rep immediately or come to a complete stop and reset completely before the next rep. The multiple rep technique where you touch the ground and go again should only be done if you’ve caught your air at lockout on the previous rep.

To further demonstrate these important cues, here’s a video I filmed recently:

The shoulder rehab protocol vid:

Last edited by a moderator:
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
:borat:

I meant to post this earlier today.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
What about us Sumo deadlifters EYYYY?!

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I read something about sumo stance set-up just recently. Do a search in the EliteFTS articles section.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Hehe, yeah I read something they had on sumo deadlifting... I was just joking :D

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What about us Sumo deadlifters EYYYY?!
Sumo?
sumo-ski-jumping.jpg

funnypicture8053863146-1.jpg

88400xcitefunsumo4-1.jpg

Apparently Crossfitters do sumo deadlifts differently.
CFESsumodeadliftuprightrow739306-1.jpg

sumo deadlift highpull.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
haha, crossfaggots.

Don't you want to be able to do 20 reps of overhead squats with 5lb plates on the bar??? 10lbs if you are a hardcore guy.

Also like how all of their centres seem to have colour coding on their bumpers for the plate that would be the heavier one by international standards (e.g. red crossfit bumper is 20kg, red weightlifting plate is 25kg).

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
cereal

cereal

:no:
that's not the way you do it...bar must touch your shins all the time. If you don't see bruises or red stripes or feel little pain next morning om ypur shins you are doing it wrong. +Your weight should be on your heels. (?)

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
that's not the way you do it...bar must touch your shins all the time. If you don't see bruises or red stripes or feel little pain next morning om ypur shins you are doing it wrong. +Your weight should be on your heels. (?)

actually not..

the bar must be 4-6 inches of your chins in the start position.. so that when you prepare yourself to lift your back is straight your hips are down and your chins are touching the bar, with your shoulders not going over it..

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Not to go all JornT on you but: WRONG.

Unlike Jorn I will say something; You are confusing bar position with bar movement. In the starting position is the discussion of distance from the shin. This is how far your shin is from the bar when you are standing upright prior to grasping ready to start the lift. The rest of the motion will then be about maintaining the bar over you centre of gravity, which ideally, as you have pointed out, should involve being very close to or actually touching the leg.