• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

My cutting diet, please advise

Justwonderin

Justwonderin

any recommendations on my diet. I seem to be very indecisive on my goals and finally decided I'm cutting. A month and a half to lose 12 lbs is what I'm going for. I'm setting my limit to around 2,000 to 2,500 calories a day. Heres what my rules are....
1-only whole grains and natural sugars, no processed highly glycemic sugars/carbs
2-120-180 grams of carbs a day ____45-60 grams of fat a day_____ at least 180 grams of protein a day

Heres what i had yesterday for example:
breakfast:
-One packet of organic/natural oatmeal with a half a teaspoon of brown sugar
-4 half deviled eggs (*they were left over from the night before)
Morning Snack:
-2 more deviled egg halfs
Lunch:
6 oz of beef fajitas
1 and a half pieces of whole wheat bread
Prework out supplement:
1 scoop of NO shotgun
Dinner:*normally do better for dinner but I had to take my GF out so not a typical dinner
2 chicken enchiladas w/ tomatillo sauce
1 cup cooked of mexican rice
10 tortilla chips
evening snack:
muscle milk 30 mins b4 bed

This was 2004 calories, 145 grams of protein, 74 grams of fat, 186 grams of carbs

Mike33

Mike33

Maybe your morningsnack could be a little better I think.
Try take some proteinshake with nuts or something.
Just my opinion :)

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Vegetables, you eat none.

Fruit, you eat none.

Fibre, you need more.

Actual foods are fine, but I would say you are probably consuming a bit too much fat. Have a play with your macro ratios, as most of your fats are not "healthy" fats and don't need to be quite so prominant.

Also PWO should be a place for carbs and protein. Shakes are great, but you don't seem to have a PWO shake or meal.

Justwonderin

Justwonderin

Yesterday:
breakfast:
Scrambled Eggs (4 eggs)
Whole Wheat Bread
1 serving of 1 slice
Salsa
0.75 servings of 2 tablespoons

lunch:
Light Ranch Dressing
1 serving of 2 Tbsp.
Wendys Side Salad without dressing
Double Stack
0.5 servings of 1 small
Chili - small - Wendy's

afternoon snack:
Sara Lee Honey Ham slices--1 serving of 4 slice
Cheddar Cheese Stick

preworkout:
1 scoop of NO shotgun

post workout:
flour tortilla and one cup of cooked refried beans
slice of american cheese

dinner:
1 slice of wheat bread
1 cup of broccoli soup
1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella

according to dailyburn.com this was 1942 Calories--131.3g of Protein--87.3g of Fat--164.4g of Carbs

im working on the fat. i never realized how much i ate till i started keeping a journal this week of it

buzzkill44

buzzkill44

not enough protein. i'll guess and say your lean body mass is 170. so you should be getting in about 255g of protein a day to sustain your muscle mass while you diet. otherwise you'll just burn muscle while in a caloric deficit. also your gonna eat at wendy's while dieting? save some cash and get some chicken rice and green beans at the store.

Justwonderin

Justwonderin

also your gonna eat at wendy's while dieting?

haha. i know. the work mates wanted to. im bad about not making my lunch at night before bed or not getting up early enough in the morning. just shows my lack of determination though :punchballs:

buzzkill44

buzzkill44

once you start to do it. it becomes routine. i cook everything for the day right when i wake up while i'm getting ready. also i just buy in bulk. the local store here always has mass loads of chicken for cheap. i just picked up 18 breasts for about 10 bucks. that's a couple days worth of food.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
not enough protein. i'll guess and say your lean body mass is 170. so you should be getting in about 255g of protein a day to sustain your muscle mass while you diet. otherwise you'll just burn muscle while in a caloric deficit. also your gonna eat at wendy's while dieting? save some cash and get some chicken rice and green beans at the store.

What?

I believe you "only" need about 1.5grams of protein per kg of lean bodyweight.

170 lbs -> 77kg

77 kg x 1.5grams/kg = 115grams of protein per day.

buzzkill44

buzzkill44

What?

I believe you "only" need about 1.5grams of protein per kg of lean bodyweight.

170 lbs -> 77kg

77 kg x 1.5grams/kg = 115grams of protein per day.

1.5 per pound. you obviously mixed it up. i take in over 115g for breakfast.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
1.5 per pound. you obviously mixed it up. i take in over 115g for breakfast.

You've been reading supplement company propaganda :bitelip:

Strength athletes have a recommended protein intake of 1.6g/kg of BW. I've posted this several times in the past and I believe the actual study is in a thread I started in the articles section (Tipton nutrition abstracts).

More protein isn't bad, but it comes at a cost to nutrition. Protein and often fats are limited in their actual nutrition (minerals, nutrients, vitamins). Eating junk food makes this problem even worse as the carbs and fats are calorically dense and lack any good stuff.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
buzzkill44

buzzkill44

the propaganda is you telling people to consume too little protein. i worked for a few supplement distributors and know all the shit that goes on. in the real world 1.5g to every pound works for building and keeping muscle mass. sure if you want to maintain all you need is 1.6g per kg, but who wants to stay the same size? i hear small guys telling me all the time all you need is 150g of protein a day and i laugh at them. they have been the same size for 5 years and i've gained 15-20 pounds every year. so yeah stay the same size.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
the propaganda is you telling people to consume too little protein. i worked for a few supplement distributors and know all the shit that goes on. in the real world 1.5g to every pound works for building and keeping muscle mass. sure if you want to maintain all you need is 1.6g per kg, but who wants to stay the same size? i hear small guys telling me all the time all you need is 150g of protein a day and i laugh at them. they have been the same size for 5 years and i've gained 15-20 pounds every year. so yeah stay the same size.

You might want to lighten your tone a little :bball:

Now as to your post, I could care less what supplement companies have told you. The scientific research has shown 1.6g/kg to be all that is needed. Protein calories above and beyond this do nothing to promote muscle gains. 1.6-1.7g/kg of BW was needed for athletes to maintain positive nitrogen status (Tipton and Wolfe 2004).

But further to this is the position that protein overall isn't bad for you, and considering how small this intake is you can start to worry about more important things. I.e. you start to worry about your actual calories and your macronutrient ratios. Depending on your diet you may have your protein needs covered with as little as 15% of your calories from protein. So if you are taking in 30-40% you should be fine and can worry about making sure you are eating enough food/calories.

This reference covers this, and has the recommended amounts in the text:
Protein and amino acids for athletes
Authors: Kevin Tipton; Robert Wolfe
Source: Journal of Sports Sciences, Volume 22, Number 1, January 2004 , pp. 65-79(15)

The main determinants of an athlete's protein needs are their training regime and habitual nutrient intake. Most athletes ingest sufficient protein in their habitual diet. Additional protein will confer only a minimal, albeit arguably important, additional advantage. Given sufficient energy intake, lean body mass can be maintained within a wide range of protein intakes. Since there is limited evidence for harmful effects of a high protein intake and there is a metabolic rationale for the efficacy of an increase in protein, if muscle hypertrophy is the goal, a higher protein intake within the context of an athlete's overall dietary requirements may be beneficial. However, there are few convincing outcome data to indicate that the ingestion of a high amount of protein (2-3 g • kg-1 BW • day-1, where BW = body weight) is necessary. Current literature suggests that it may be too simplistic to rely on recommendations of a particular amount of protein per day. Acute studies suggest that for any given amount of protein, the metabolic response is dependent on other factors, including the timing of ingestion in relation to exercise and/or other nutrients, the composition of ingested amino acids and the type of protein.

Last edited by a moderator:
buzzkill44

buzzkill44

do you not understand what i said? i meant i know how they manipulate wannabe's into taking products that do jack shit. obviously this went over your head. anyways i'm glad you can read articles. this is muscle mecca so i assume he wants to gain muscle. only way to do that while dieting is to consume more protein so your body doesn't burn it in the process.

read up. i rather take advice from a pro who has done it in real life than to read some dumb article from a nerd in a lab.

buzzkill44

buzzkill44

also he posts in the advanced chemicals thread so he isn't natural. gear increases protein synthesis incredibly. i assume you have no knowledge on that subject so your articles are based on the average lazy male, not someone who is on gear. :bball:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
do you not understand what i said? i meant i know how they manipulate wannabe's into taking products that do jack shit. obviously this went over your head.
So you are trying to say I'm stupid or ignorant? I am neither.

You are touting the company line, the marketing propaganda. I am quoting proven science tested on athletes.

anyways i'm glad you can read articles. this is muscle mecca so i assume he wants to gain muscle. only way to do that while dieting is to consume more protein so your body doesn't burn it in the process.
Clearly you can't read or are being deliberately obtuse so as to remain ignorant.

YOUR BODY WON'T BURN THE PROTEIN AS LONG AS IT HAS POSITIVE NITROGEN BALANCE. As long as you keep postitive nitrogen balance from 1.6g/kg then you only have to worry about total calories and how many you are getting. Too few and the deficit is too great. Ketosis diets are a different matter, but I regard them as unhealthy.

read up. i rather take advice from a pro who has done it in real life than to read some dumb article from a nerd in a lab.
Nerd? At least the nerd actually knows what they are doing, rather than the "pro" who may get lucky. How many pros look great a week or two out and then fail contest time or drop too much weight (i.e. lose muscle)? Most are ignorant of what has worked or what actually happened.

Science is not one person's opinion, it is many people measured objectively to find the answer/facts!!!
also he posts in the advanced chemicals thread so he isn't natural. gear increases protein synthesis incredibly. i assume you have no knowledge on that subject so your articles are based on the average lazy male, not someone who is on gear
Average lazy male? Yeh that's what I think of when I see athletes. :deadhorse:

If you are finished insulting me you would do well to read what I have linked to and posted. Learn.

buzzkill44

buzzkill44

your article never states what kind of athletes they tested this on. so i will assume it was at a college and it was baseball. so yes the average lazy male. were they doing this on athletes on gear? no so everything you posted gets thrown out. don't get your panties in a bunch.

buzzkill44

buzzkill44

also are you mad at bodybuilders because they can achieve things you never could? all this hate and name calling. pretty childish for a 31 year old.

buzzkill44

buzzkill44

anyways justwonderin up your protein eat every 2-3 hours and do 15-20min cardio 3-4 days a week. try to get in lean meat every meal with complex carbs and some sort of veggies. you'll burn fat and gain muscle. just my .02

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
buzzkill said:
your article never states what kind of athletes they tested this on. so i will assume it was at a college and it was baseball. so yes the average lazy male. were they doing this on athletes on gear? no so everything you posted gets thrown out. don't get your panties in a bunch.
That's because it is the abstract, you need to read the whole thing, that is why I provided the title and journal edition :doh:

It would be unlikely to be tested on drugs users, you are right on that point. Doesn't change the fact that positive nitrogen balance is positive nitrogen balance. Even if protein synthesis doubled (unlikely but hey you're the expert :bitelip:) then the protein intake would still be well below the levels you are touting.
also are you mad at bodybuilders because they can achieve things you never could? all this hate and name calling. pretty childish for a 31 year old.
I'm a moderator on a BBing forum, clearly I hate BBing :doh:

Also I'm 32. You are the one being childish and insulting. I have asked you nicely to lighten your tone, I won't ask again.

buzzkill44

buzzkill44

i'm just trying to help a brother out. he wants to gain muscle and burn fat. it's worked for me and numerous friends. so why limit his gains? lets agree to disagree. you can keep doing what your doing and i'll keep doing my thing, but i'm not gonna sit around and read this crap about all you need is a certain amount of protein. this forum is set up to help people reach there goals. imo he won't if he listens to you. i have my right to my opinion. threaten me all you want with your mighty powers. check your tone