• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Rest Interval between Sets in Strength Training

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Found this interesting and thought I would share with you all.

Rest Interval between Sets in Strength Training

Sports Medicine 2009, Vol. 39 Issue 9, p765 13p. de Salles Belmiro Freitas
Simão, Roberto Miranda, Fabrício da Silva Novaes, Jefferson Lemos, Adriana Willardson, Jeffrey M.

Abstract:
Strength training has become one of the most popular physical activities for increasing characteristics such as absolute muscular strength, endurance, hypertrophy and muscular power. For efficient, safe and effective training, it is of utmost importance to understand the interaction among training variables, which might include the intensity, number of sets, rest interval between sets, exercise modality and velocity of muscle action. Research has indicated that the rest interval between sets is an important variable that affects both acute responses and chronic adaptations to resistance exercise programmes. The purpose of this review is to analyse and discuss the rest interval between sets for targeting specific training outcomes (e.g. absolute muscular strength, endurance, hypertrophy and muscular power). The Scielo, Science Citation Index, National Library of Medicine, MEDLINE, Scopus, Sport Discus and CINAHL databases were used to locate previous original scientific investigations. The 35 studies reviewed examined both acute responses and chronic adaptations, with rest interval length as the experimental variable. In terms of acute responses, a key finding was that when training with loads between 50% and 90% of one repetition maximum, 3-5 minutes' rest between sets allowed for greater repetitions over multiple sets. Furthermore, in terms of chronic adaptations, resting 3-5 minutes between sets produced greater increases in absolute strength, due to higher intensities and volumes of training. Similarly, higher levels of muscular power were demonstrated over multiple sets with 3 or 5 minutes versus 1 minute of rest between sets. Conversely, some experiments have demonstrated that when testing maximal strength, 1-minute rest intervals might be sufficient between repeated attempts; however, from a psychological and physiological standpoint, the inclusion of 3- to 5-minute rest intervals might be safer and more reliable. When the training goal is muscular hypertrophy, the combination of moderate-intensity sets with short rest intervals of 30-60 seconds might be most effective due to greater acute levels of growth hormone during such workouts. Finally, the research on rest interval length in relation to chronic muscular endurance adaptations is less clear. Training with short rest intervals (e.g. 20 seconds to 1 minute) resulted in higher repetition velocities during repeated submaximal muscle actions and also greater total torque during a high-intensity cycle test. Both of these findings indirectly demonstrated the benefits of utilizing short rest intervals for gains in muscular endurance. In summary, the rest interval between sets is an important variable that should receive more attention in resistance exercise prescription. When prescribed appropriately with other important prescriptive variables (i.e. volume and intensity), the amount of rest between sets can influence the efficiency, safety and ultimate effectiveness of a strength training programme.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Woo! I like this study!

What about rest intervals between 5-10 minutes?

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

VIP
Woo! I like this study!

What about rest intervals between 5-10 minutes?

I've tried searching for that but there is none. The max is 5 min. Possibly because the body's reached full recovery by then and it's pointless waiting longer between sets for strength.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've tried searching for that but there is none. The max is 5 min. Possibly because the body's reached full recovery by then and it's pointless waiting longer between sets for strength.

Bingo. No need to wait longer than five in terms of recovery between sets. It would actually be detrimental to strength.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
But what if I'm feeling really, really lazy?

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

VIP
^ Then you wont make progress and big guns lance will :p

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If you look at the anatomical structure of an individual muscle fiber, you'll find cylindrical structures called myofibrils that are surrounded by the intracellular fluid (or sarcoplasm). Hypertrophy occurs either as a result of myofibril multiplication or a change within the sarcoplasm. Studies, like this one, have actually confirmed that different training intervals can lead to stimulation of either the myofibril or the sarcoplasm, and that each one contributes differently to the overall performance of an athlete.

Back in the day, I used to do exactly what this study suggests: I used specific intervals with specific rep counts to maximize myofibril hypertrophy and alternate rep counts and intervals for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

Great study!

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
The KM is posting again!

Glad to see you again little man :p

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

VIP
KM outta nowhere! :D

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Posted your article from BBing.com on here. Made for an interesting read. How did you get featured?

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Posted your article from BBing.com on here. Made for an interesting read. How did you get featured?

Cool, link me to it. I'm friends with Jay Chowela who introduced me to the editor-in-chief over there. If you're interested, let me know. They generally allow anyone to write for them, the only deterrent is that there tends to be a rather large backlog (if, say, you submit an article to the editor this month, it may not be published until the summer).

So how are you, Tim? Or shall I say "Dr. Tim"?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Not Dr Tim just yet. I'm doing thesis corrections at the moment, so still a ways to go yet. I'll probably will be by the end of this year.

Interesting on the article front. I used to have an interest in writing articles but found that I didn't enjoy it like I thought I would.

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Wow awesome! I look forward to reading your thesis (which is in architecture, right? Something along those lines). Writing for me is fun for maybe the first few hours, then it starts to get dull and boring.