• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Some questions regarding Wendlers 5/3/1

E

Effe

I have been following wendlers 5/3/1 for about 2 weeks only mp day left.
I think I might have been a little bit off when I did estimate my 1RP max.

"Currently max was 100kg"
Week 1 Bench last set 73kgs x 12
Week 2 Bench last set 81kgs x 7 I had 1-2 more reps in me but no spotter so I wussed out.

Week 1 Deadlift last set 115 kg x 11
Week 2 Deadlift last set 121,5 kg x 12 Could have kept going for about 2-4 reps more.

Im doing MP's and Front Squats aswell but they is a bit closer to their numbers.
Soo my question is when this "wave" is over should I upp my Deadlift atleast a bit more then 10 pounds cus rly who wanna do 15 rep deadlift? :thumbsup2:

I'm Sorry for my bad spelling!

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Wendler says that the first cycle of 5/3/1 should be very light. When you start the 2nd cycle, up your squat/deadlift by 10lbs and your bench/MP by 5lbs.

Add this much weight to your 1rm everytime you start the new cycle.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'll answer this question a different way. Are you as strong and smart as Jim Wendler?

Being as how the answer is no then you should stick to the program as written. The first run-around is always going to be easy, but once you start adding a few kilos to the bar hitting the reps is going to suddenly get a lot harder.

I've personally found that my bench didn't improve in the first cycle (unlike all my other lifts) and as a result I only just exceeded my rep targets in the third week. Add 2.5kg to that for the next cycle and unless I improve it the bench will be at the rep markers on the second cycle.

One of the big problems many here have noticed is the deload week being very light. Admittedly we all started the program relatively recently and may not have hit weights that leave us begging for a deload. Or maybe it is a flaw in the program. This is a point I would consider worthy of possibly changing.

The problem with editing a program is that unless you understand it fully you are likely to be either making it easier, less productive or biased towards your strengths (which isn't always a good thing). The fact that you are on a program usually suggests you don't fully understand what has gone into making a program.

JoaoT

JoaoT

Today i'm gonna start, for the first time, this program. I know that if things don't come good in first cycles it's perfectly normal. It takes time to understand what's good for us and to improve in this program. Trial and error i think it's the best.

E

Effe

Thanks for all the replys guys.
My only concern after reading this is the deadlift, I could up it 10-15kg and still hit some reps above the programs goals anyone think that a smart idea or just being ego and stupid?

Ciao!

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I wouldn't jump up so high. You'll hit a wall to fast compared to your other lifts.

Cork

Cork

I've been running 5/3/1 for 4 cycles now, so I feel like I can share a similiar experience.

For my first cycle, like you mentioned, I severely underestimated my max on MP. The first 2 cycles I could hit double digit rep records each week of the cycle. My 3rd cycle, I increased the weight by 10lbs instead of the prescribed 5lbs. My 3rd cycle went well, and so far it is not effecting the 4th detrimentally.

With regards to upping the weight too much and "hitting a wall fast" there is the fail safe of re-evaluating your 1rm and again taking 90% of it and starting (basically) from scratch. There is no such thing as a wall in 5/3/1 unless you want to attribute it to your genetic potential (Obviously you can't just go and go and go forever).

So with all that said, I would recommend increasing the underestimated lifts by 10lbs if it is an upper body lift and 15-20lbs if it is a lower lift. I think the first couple cycles would be the best time to change the weight and to really hone in on your 1rm. And remember, always lift to 90% of your 1rm!

Oh and I do not claim to be as smart as Wendler, but I would think he would suggest the same thing. If you can manage double digit reps even on the 3rd week, I don't know why you wouldn't change it.

E

Effe

Seems like a good idea right there. Honestly I went from doing deadlifts 1-2 times each month to doing them every week in the last month or so with pretty low weight. Soo next week is the 1rep week I will up the weight about 10 kg (only on the deadlift) and I'm pretty sure I will end up with 5-7reps anyway if not I will recalculate from there?

Thanks for all the replys Ciao!:gaysign:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've been running 5/3/1 for 4 cycles now, so I feel like I can share a similiar experience.

For my first cycle, like you mentioned, I severely underestimated my max on MP. The first 2 cycles I could hit double digit rep records each week of the cycle. My 3rd cycle, I increased the weight by 10lbs instead of the prescribed 5lbs. My 3rd cycle went well, and so far it is not effecting the 4th detrimentally.

With regards to upping the weight too much and "hitting a wall fast" there is the fail safe of re-evaluating your 1rm and again taking 90% of it and starting (basically) from scratch. There is no such thing as a wall in 5/3/1 unless you want to attribute it to your genetic potential (Obviously you can't just go and go and go forever).

So with all that said, I would recommend increasing the underestimated lifts by 10lbs if it is an upper body lift and 15-20lbs if it is a lower lift. I think the first couple cycles would be the best time to change the weight and to really hone in on your 1rm. And remember, always lift to 90% of your 1rm!

Oh and I do not claim to be as smart as Wendler, but I would think he would suggest the same thing. If you can manage double digit reps even on the 3rd week, I don't know why you wouldn't change it.

I think this is good advice. The reassessing 1RM is something I had forgotten to mention but it is the best thing to do if people are concerned. Mine were fairly close, but estimates will always be a little off.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Good advice from Cork.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff