• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Shawn Ray Talking About Ronnie/Dorian

Dylan Detrick

Dylan Detrick

I just posted this video earlier today.

It's from his video "Inside & Out".

Last edited by a moderator:
Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Thanks, interesting.

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
I personally agree with Shawn. I used to dislike Dorian for the same reasons that he mentioned, but after I realized I should not hate on him, cus it was all politics and judges fault. And even if I don't like Dorian's physique, he was and still is a down to earth man, and good ambassador of bodybuilding imo.

HeavyWeight_86

HeavyWeight_86

Can't blame Shawn.Came almost always in perfect shape, round muscle bellies, amazing posing skills and sick conditioning, the guy always trained hard and coming 2nd to a Dorian who was getting worst each year after 1994 must have been frustrating.And he's right about 2nd place sucks.Nobody competes in any sport to be second, especially if you know you have the chances to rule.

pakiman

pakiman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I have always been a Dorian fan and even in those two years I STILL believe Dorian had Shawn's number... and it wasnt just the "guys in the first row"... it was hundred of thousands of people who watched the show, the video and magazines! Yes Dorian was at his weakest those two years but still good enough to beat Shawn IMHO... oh BTW I still am a huge fan of Shawns as well... just dont think he is right in thinking he beat Dorian!

hydro

hydro

didnt dorian have a torn quad through his years aswell ?

Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
didnt dorian have a torn quad through his years aswell ?

Yes he did.

A WEEK OUT FROM THE 1994 MR. OLYMPIA, Dorian Yates could barely lift his trousers, let alone the heavy weights expected of the world's best body-builder--260 pounds of muscle too hard for a buzz saw to cut. He had torn his left biceps eight weeks earlier doing bent-over rows; the day of the show, only a fake tan hid the discoloration. Still fresh in his memory was the muscle tear in his left quadriceps from April. In March, the same fate had befallen one of his rotator-cuff ligaments. [paragraph] His victory that year revealed two sides of the same coin: a warrior's ability to endure pain made essential by a ferocious training style, captured for posterity in all its raging glory on the aptly named video Blood and Guts.

Dylan Detrick

Dylan Detrick

I have always been a Dorian fan and even in those two years I STILL believe Dorian had Shawn's number... and it wasnt just the "guys in the first row"... it was hundred of thousands of people who watched the show, the video and magazines! Yes Dorian was at his weakest those two years but still good enough to beat Shawn IMHO... oh BTW I still am a huge fan of Shawns as well... just dont think he is right in thinking he beat Dorian!

Shawn has said that almost everyone he talked to after prejudging at the 1994 Mr. Olympia thought that Shawn was going to win and that Kevin would be 2nd.

medicineman

medicineman

yup...i agree 100%. dorian had weaknesses, but still had enough strengths to win. Any bodybuilder will tell you that a show is won from the back. when dorian turned around, it was lights out for anyone else on stage...PERIOD.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Dylan Detrick

Dylan Detrick

yup...i agree 100%. dorian had weaknesses, but still had enough strengths to win. Any bodybuilder will tell you that a show is won from the back. when dorian turned around, it was lights out for anyone else on stage...PERIOD.

Ha! That is so stupid, why is the back more important than the front?

I think "any Bodybuilder will tell you" that the Front is just as important as the Back.

"when dorian turned around, it was lights out for anyone else on stage...PERIOD."

Not in '96, Shawn could definitely hold his own against Dorian in the back shots, and, of course, killed him from the front, IMO.

I wish Bodybuilding would get back to the days where the most COMPLETE physiques won shows.

"dorian had weaknesses, but still had enough strengths to win"

Dorian had a few strengths and LOTS of weaknesses, Shawn was flawless.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Ha! That is so stupid, why is the back more important than the front?

Because it's the biggest muscle group of the upper body. To see the importance of the back in the Mr Olympia, just refer to all the other past Olympian winners, most of them all posses huge developed backs.

Not in '96, Shawn could definitely hold his own against Dorian in the back shots, and, of course, killed him from the front, IMO.

Shawn did not kill him from the front. The only thing Shawn had was better aesthetics than Dorian.

Dorian had a few strengths and LOTS of weaknesses, Shawn was flawless.

Lots of weaknesses? if your talking about 96 then he only had a torn biceps and that only really affects the FDB. All of the other poses he won with ease.

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Interesting video. I understand what he's saying though... I laughed when he said that Dorian can go on stage on a wheel chair and win again, haha. I still haven't made a decision on who should've won though. I'm caught in the middle.

:cool:

Dylan Detrick

Dylan Detrick

Because it's the biggest muscle group of the upper body. To see the importance of the back in the Mr Olympia, just refer to all the other past Olympian winners, most of them all posses huge developed backs.

Shawn did not kill him from the front. The only thing Shawn had was better aesthetics than Dorian.

Lots of weaknesses? if your talking about 96 then he only had a torn biceps and that only really affects the FDB. All of the other poses he won with ease.

Honestly, I'm just sick of debating this whole thing.

I have my opinion and you have yours, let's just leave it at that.:doh: