• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Sodium.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Ive heard around a lot that sodium can be dangerous and it retains water. I get flat really easily and i wanted to get good pumps today so i added a lot of salt to my rice and a lot of salt to my eggs as my PWO meal. I felt thicker then usual and my pumps lasted longer then they have been in the last few months. Ofcourse i still drank a lot of water and ate a decent ammount of carbs but i do notice a substantial difference in my workouts when i consume a lot of sodium. I was having a really bad day but my muscles were functioning really well and i felt full and powerful even though i was dragging my shoes from exercize to exercize.

What are a few key points of Sodium in your diet? what are the dangers of sodium loading around once a week or less?

Big VIC

Big VIC

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Side Effects

Too much sodium will contribute to high blood pressure in those who are sensitive to sodium. Most people with high blood pressure may be told to reduce their sodium intake. If you have high blood pressure, you should discuss this issue with your doctor.

Sodium may lead to a serious build-up of fluid in people with congestive heart failure, cirrhosis, or kidney disease. Such people should be on a strict sodium-restricted diet, as prescribed by their doctor.
Back to TopRecommendations

Dietary sodium is measured in milligrams (mg). Table salt is 40% sodium; 1 teaspoon of table salt contains 2,300 mg of sodium.

The 2005 Dietary Guidelines recommend that healthy adults should limit sodium intake to 2,300 mg per day while individuals with high blood pressure should consume no more than 1,500 mg per day. Those with congestive heart failure, liver cirrhosis, and kidney disease may need much lower amounts.

Specific recommendations regarding sodium intake do not exist for infants, children, and adolescents. Eating habits and attitudes about food formed during childhood are likely to influence eating habits for life. For this reason, moderate intake of sodium is suggested.
Back to TopReferences

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HSS) and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). Dietary Guidelines for Americans -- 2005. Chapter 8: Sodium and Potassium. Accessed June 23, 2008.

Just keep a eye on your Blood Pressure and If it starts climbing I suggest you lower your salt intake and drink a good amount of fluid a day

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Great post. thanks

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sodium is a crucial electrolyte. Remember that the sodium guidelines are often based off a 2000 calorie diet. Many people do take sodium overboard but I certainly feel a difference in a negative way when my sodium is too low. For most folks that are active and in a healthy range in regards to body fat and weight will most likely not be effected by a higher sodium diet. Stay away from fast food and restaurants and you will likely not have a problem.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Just to add to this, if you take in processed foods of any kinds you are likely to be getting a lot of salt. What do I mean by a lot? Well a standard serve of Corn Flakes will actually cover your 25% of your RDA of 1600mg. This was previously more like 50%.

But athletes and active individuals tend to sweat more than the average person so the RDA of salt is slightly higher. Best to bear in mind that most people are consuming much higher than 1600mg, to the point were the USA actually has an RDA of double that of other countries.

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
so what do you suggest should be the range for guys who train...

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Can't remember the number from the research, but it was citing athletes, so not really representative. Athletes train far harder than any average gym rat.

My point more was that most people would be exceeding the RDA anyway (unless you are American where they believe in doubling sodium RDA's) so most active/sweaty people would be fine.