• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Bigger Lats

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hey guys,

All right, so I've got a small problem here. I'm trying to develop bigger lats. Now normally I start off my workouts with 4 sets of pull-ups to get the blood flowing and warm up the back preparing for some heavy lifting. 90% of the time I use the widest grip and very strict form. I pull myself up (no bouncing) and go all the way down feeling the stretch. Normally my first set I only get around 12 reps, then about 8, 8 and 6 - something like that. I also stretch out my lats and back in between sets. I realize that a lot of this is also genetic, but I think that's a poor excuse. Maybe it could just be that this stuff takes a lot of time to build? Would you guys care to share some tips? Thanks. :thumbsup2:

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ lots of heavy barbell and dumbell rows man

atomic strenght

atomic strenght

barbell rows and heavy deadlifts.always think of contracting back muscles not lifting the weight.hold a lil bit then lower the bar.i got some good results training them this way.

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
pullover machine man

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Personally, I hypothesize that a lot of weak muscle groups are due to poor activation of the desired muscle group and over activation of surrounding muscles. Really focus on pulling with the lats, make sure that your legs stay equal to or behind the hip as you pull up, and finally make sure that your elbows are not moving forward on the way up. It is very easy for me to feel this movement more in my bi's and shoulders if I am not paying attention.

pingu

pingu

Deadlifts, chins, pullups, bb rows, cabelrows, +++..
2-3 times a week... it will grow.. :)

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Some points:

Wide grip is overrated (and possible hard on the shoulder). Comfortable grip is better.

Activation exercises can help a lot. If you have a low chinup bar or a smith machine where you can do lat shrugs while still having your feet on the ground partially supporting your weight, then ideal.

Lats are lower down on the back than most people expect. Teres Major is what a lot of people are thinking of when they talk about lats.

Back can handle more volume than most other bodyparts.

It is important to hit the middle and lower trapezius. Without them you won't get proper scapular position and thus poor lat movement.

Train the back through at least 3 planes of motion: horizontal, rows; vertical, chins/pullups; dynamic planes, various pulls like cleans, deadlifts, front levers, pullovers, etc.

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks for the answers guys I really appreciate it!

The Creator - sometimes I have the same problem as well doing pull-ups. I feel my biceps and shoulders are doing most of the work. I'll take your advice though!

EDIT: I put up a new avatar of my back lat spread you guys can see what I mean. I'm a hardcore ectomorph through and through! :( :crymeariver: :sadface:

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Some points:

Wide grip is overrated (and possible hard on the shoulder). Comfortable grip is better.

Activation exercises can help a lot. If you have a low chinup bar or a smith machine wear you can do lat shrugs while still having your feet on the ground partially supporting your weight, then ideal.

Lats are lower down on the back than most people expect. Teres Major is what a lot of people are thinking of when they talk about lats.

It is important to hit the middle and lower trapezius. Without them you won't get proper scapular position and thus poor lat movement.

Train the back through at least 3 planes of motion: horizontal, rows; vertical, chins/pullups; dynamic planes, various pulls like cleans, deadlifts, front levers, pullovers, etc.

this.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Hey Johnny man, like you said it's mostly genetic but that doesn't mean you can't improve what you got! :)

Tim nailed it...

Tim said:
Some points:

Activation exercises can help a lot. If you have a low chinup bar or a smith machine where you can do lat shrugs while still having your feet on the ground partially supporting your weight, then ideal.

Deity

Deity

Sternal Chins and Barbell Rows
the recipe for widebacked bros

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
x2
That one kicks ass! Upperbody squat, powerfull exercise!

:bowroflarms:

Pullover is a lameo version of a front lever, not even close to an "upper body squat".

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
^Care to explain how it works the shoulders or arms? Or how you can load it extra heavy?

If there is truly an "upper body squat" then it is not a pullover and it is definitely not done on machine.

cereal

cereal

HIT loads it extra heavy. There was a man I still trust.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
^And I know that man too. But you have to let him go. In the realms of the real world, science wins over what somebody did/does and gets results from.

Pull-overs are crap, unless you don't have any biceps and can't do compounds.

Compounds are the way to go...

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
HIT loads it extra heavy. There was a man I still trust.

HIT = Fail for lazy bastards.

Extra heavy in HIT is an oxymoron.

So you trust a drug addict, neurotic that never achieved any success in the BBing world, who literally made himself mad with a cocktail of Ayn Rand and amphetamines??? You really picked a good idol to whorship there :borat:

You know I've just started up a business making graven images for idolators. I make Mike Mentzer statues out of premium grade male-bovine-excrement, sizes range from life-size to key chain versions. Whorship your idol in the manner befitting his memory.