• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Ramping/Pyramiding VS Straight sets

What is your preffered way to progress from working set to working set?

• Total voters
Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So, i was just wondering what is most members favourite way to progress from set to set. I did straight sets for a long time, and while it did work, i feel that ramping may have something to it (nervous system priming, able to hit a higher end weight) offc, i guess the straight sets would give a higher total loading. one problem i have with straight sets though, is that its so fucking boring to do the same weight over and over again for multiple sets.

what is you guys take on this? u feel one style may be more suitable for strenght and one for hypertrophy? fact is, ive never seen a pro bber or powerlifter use straight sets. they either pyramid or ramp the weight for the most part.

what is the science on the subject? Tim?:) also, what is members personal experiences with either?

Discuss.

co05

co05

I like using straight sets for my accessory work. I'll bust ass on my primary movement, ramp up weight, follow the 5/3/1 protocol etc etc but I save myself, sort of, on my accessory movements.
I'm especially careful on my upper body days so as not to rough up my shoulders.

Actually, I've thought about it more and what I do for accessory work varies.
For tough, bodyweight compound movements (pullups, GHRs, etc), I use straight sets with no additional weight. Every workout I'll try to perform more reps than last (if I did 3 sets of 6 on the GHR, next session I'll shoot for 3x7). It's easiest for me to measure my progress this way added to the fact that I'm not strong enough on these movements to use any additional weight.
For compound barbell/dumbell movements (rows, presses other than MP or bench), I use pyramids. I like to measure progress in these movements by doing more weight than the last workout.
As for machine/isolation movements, I don't do them.

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
I choosed ramping, but I tend to fall out of that and just go for it mostly

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
straight.

I think the whole game of building muscle and strenght is adaptation.

why use weights that I can already handle quite easilly for that rep range? My muscles are already built for that, I want to concentrate in adapting to the ones I can't dominate, so I'll try to progress with that weight all sets. why waste 3 working sets with weights that are only "warm-ups"? I try to dominate the one I can't handle yet for the rep range ( that is in the bottom part of that range). Adaptation comes for doing it many times. Adaptation means muscle growth.

It has worked for me and still does.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I mainly use ramping as a wannabe powerlifter but I also appreciates the gains to be made on straight sets. Smolov for example is a straight set program and the gains I made with that for my squats were phenomenal. I still use straight sets for most of my assistance work.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Straight sets for me.

Iv'e never used ramping and never will. I think staright sets are great for stimulating the muscle more similar to what Natzi said. Especially if your trying to get a specific adaption, e.g. hypertrophy/strength.

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm surprised not many people do pyramiding... That's all I've been doing. I thought everyone does that (I'm exaggerating). I never do straight sets with the same weight, because I continuously want to challenge myself. To me it's brilliant because the first set you do is lighter, then you go heavier and heavier and you feel comfortable using heavier weights as you go on. But Lance you do straight sets, and you're huge so what the hell do I know. The only straight set I do is when I'm doing some kind of isolation excersize. Damnit, we need some science in here!

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
I'm surprised not many people do pyramiding... That's all I've been doing. I thought everyone does that (I'm exaggerating). I never do straight sets with the same weight, because I continuously want to challenge myself. To me it's brilliant because the first set you do is lighter, then you go heavier and heavier and you feel comfortable using heavier weights as you go on. But Lance you do straight sets, and you're huge so what the hell do I know. The only straight set I do is when I'm doing some kind of isolation excersize. Damnit, we need some science in here!

you'll challenge yourself more by doing straight sets.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
I really like pyramiding, but ill do pyramiding and straight sets in the same workout, just depends on what i feel like doing.

EDIT: nevermind, i thought pyramiding was something else... I would consider my workouts to be a bit of a hybrid of pyramid, ramping and finishing certain excercises with a drop set. So i dunno, seems like its structureless but i feel like my workouts are well structured.

I guess its whatever i feel will take my muscle to a combination of the best pump i can get and taking it to failure while doing weight thats relatively heavy for the form.

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
you'll challenge yourself more by doing straight sets.

not necessarily. ill give u this. straight sets will more than likely mean more overall tonnage. but that isnt necessarily the key to growth or strenght gains. ramping will enable u to hit a higher end weight and often lift it more effectively as well. and it guarantees that ure warmed up properly, which means less injury risk combined with the fact that lifting a very heavy weight for multiple sets will drain ur CNS more than working up to a max set. and it puts more stress on ur joints.

but i tend to agree with freako, that both styles have their value. i choose ramping as my preffered style, simply because i think its funnier to lift with ramped sets than straight sets. doing the same weight over and over again is boring imo.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ I've held off from commenting thus far. I agree that most set/rep schemes have a place in training, but this is really determined by goals.

Oh and feeling
ejg3yx-1.gif
the pump; lulz.

I think the big thing to bear in mind is that for anyone with a few years of serious training under their belt is going to get very little strength and hypertrophy without weights inexcess of 75-80% of max. The more sets accumulated above this level will determine gains, hence the success of volume work with low rep sets.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Been using straight sets most of the time. This way I get more totall work volume done wich is imo an important factor of training.