• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Powerlifting Help

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Hey guys, i walked into my local gym and they put up flyers for a powerlifting competition. I talked to the owner (mostly because i wanted my ronnie coleman dvd back lol) and asked him when it was going to be. He told me he wants to have the competition in May but he hasnt closed in on a date yet.

I been thinking about it and maybe i want to do it. I dont want to be wishy washy about it and enter last minute so im thinking about doing some hardcore powerlifting training for 2 weeks and then decide if i really want to commit or not.

I have always been able to increase my strength when i wanted to but i wanted to know what you guys think is the best way to train for a Benching, Squatting, Deadlifting meet.

What kind of daily routines should i be doing? how often (times per week) should i bench, squat, and dead ?

as far as sets, reps, 1RM percentage;

What should i be doing for Bench?

What should i be doing for Squats?

What should i be doing for Deadlift?

If i enter it, i do so with the intention to try my best. I probably wont come close to winning considering my weight and strength ratio (im no robertinho lol). Keep in mind the gym i attend is ultra ghetto and there are not very many super strong guys near my weight in this small town. The guy who won the competition last year was really fucken strong and only weighed 10 lbs more then me but i think he is in jail right now lol. I have never competed in any type of physical competition before in my life and it might be something fun to try.

EDIT:

What supplements should i be taking?

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Do you know your current max's?

For powerlifting, eat everything and anything you can find.

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
well did u get the coleman cd back?

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Do you know your current max's?

For powerlifting, eat everything and anything you can find.

Squat: around 275-300 iirc... I was going to try to max out today but i was getting some really bad cramps on my quads during warm up sets.. it was weird. I did a bit of cardio, stretching, extentions, and curls to warm up before i went to squats.

Deadlift: 385. I failed today, I had not deadlifted in atleast a month. I only did 315 X 5

Bench: 255. I did this last week, failed half ways through my second rep. I got chest/bench tomorrow.

well did u get the coleman cd back?

YEAH BUDDDAY!!!!!!

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
How long exactly do you have until the competition?

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Get a coach, or at least an experienced competitor to help you with form, and to run you through the calls and all that kind of stuff.

Trawl T-Nation for powerlifting peaking programs... those will be your best bet.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I recommend some Sheiko cycles, I've never tried them myself but they're proven strength building and competition peaking cycles that need minimal explanation. I would recommend 5/3/1 too if you had more time but in 2 months you'll only get in 2 cycles. Also worth checking out are the Ed Coan peaking cycles. He's not known as the greatest ever powerlifter for nothing.

Getting your form right and prepared for the lift calls is also going to be very important. Are there any other competitors at your gym?

Last edited by a moderator:
dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
No there are not any competitors that i know of. Usually its just random guys who wanna see how much they can lift. The only guys ive seen who are strong and mostly just strong because of their genetics or they can bench a lot but cant squat/dead for shit. The last guy who won was a buddy of mine before he went to jail, he has great genetics but his form was not the best as far as squatting and deadlifting, just had brute strength. THe guy who placed below him was a massive fat dude from the next town over and his squat was not impressive, mediocre dead, just a strong bencher so no real advice to be found at my gym lol.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Looks interesting, ive never had a workout plan like that, im looking forward to trying it out.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Freako's pretty much covered it all; just remember there is no such things as a "best training program," only what works best for YOU.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
THanks lifter!

Repped all of u :D

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
I had another question.

I been going heavier then the program says i should do. For example, on friday i was supposed to go up to 75% on squats but i went up to 80%. For bench, it said to go up to 80% but i went over 95%. Should i limit myself to the guidelines of the Sheiko routine or is it fine to go heaver if i can keep the same reps and good form?

and another thing, this routine doesnt have much for arms or shoulders, should i make a seperate day for arms and/or shoulders?

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
1. Stick to the program. Its all about progressive loading so the final weeks should become much harder.

2. Do arms and shoulders after your main lifts if you must. Do not add another lifting day as you are liable to overdo it and inhibit your recovery. Stick to 1 exercise each and err on the light side with weights for this cycle, 3 sets for 10-15 reps. Do not let it affect your ability to complete your main lifts or place too much extra strain on your CNS.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Alright, THANKS!

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Damn, i gained a lot of strength in just over a week. I used to bench 255 and today i benched 275. I used to do 225 for 4-5 reps and today i did it for 10 reps and it felt light. I did 275 atg squats and i didnt struggle that much.

Im getting worried though, im starting to get pain in my chest, im wondering if i should continue with this program. Ive gotten the pain before, i hurt my pec like 3-4 years ago and i feel the pain every once in a while. On friday i felt the pain while doing my set. Today i didnt feel it very much until after i got home. Im wondering if it has to do with getting stronger which in turn leads to going heavier and im also benching 3 times a week when i used to only bench once a week or less... What do u guys think? I dont have health insurance and i dont have much money so i dont know if i can get it checked out at this point. Im wondering if i might end up tearing something or if i maybe already have something torn that is causing the pain :doh: .

Im thinking about going lighter next time i workout and see how it goes. If this continues i will drop the program, go super easy on my chest and go back to my regular training.

EDIT: it feels like enflamation, not in the tendon but in the part of the muscle that meets the tendon. It hurts when i flex it but its not a sharp pain. Whenever i get this type of pain it doesnt last long. Im sure withing 1-2 days i wont feel pain anymore but something definitely isnt right. This fucken sucks, but it could have been MUCH worse.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Guess why you should have gone heavy on the bench...

Stick to the numbers the program gave you next week. If you still have problems then maybe dial it back the following week.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Guess why you should have gone heavy on the bench...

Stick to the numbers the program gave you next week. If you still have problems then maybe dial it back the following week.

Sticking to a program isn't hardcore enough, clearly.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Powerlifting is about patience.

madakira

madakira

Where is this meet at? When?