• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Steak Doneness

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Does the degree of steak doneness affect its digestions and/or protein absorption? Im wondering if its better to eat steak well done, medium, or rare and all in between.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The longer you cook any food the more the proteins in that food are denatured. In this case the longer you cook a steak, the longer it takes to digest as well, up to a point. The less done the steak the less the proteins are denatured and the less time it will take to digest. Now will these thing really matter that much in the big picture? Eh probably not enough to stress about them.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Who cares, just eat it bloody, like a man.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
LMAO I eat it medium rare , im just wondering if it makes a difference.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The longer you cook any food the more the proteins in that food are denatured. In this case the longer you cook a steak, the longer it takes to digest as well, up to a point. The less done the steak the less the proteins are denatured and the less time it will take to digest. Now will these thing really matter that much in the big picture? Eh probably not enough to stress about them.

Um........

Steak should be cooked at a temperatue that allows the internal temp to reach 60°C for a few minutes. This way you are able to kill most bacteria and the like. The proteins are not really lost by cooking, but rather converted by heat to others. Enzyme processing is not changed that much, as most of the break down of steak is physical (chewing) and chemical (acids in the stomach) before enzymatic processing of proteins for aminos.

Basically considering a steak will take a couple of hours to fully digest, the actual time difference between the different stages of cooking is going to be minutes, thus negligible. The main reason you cook meat is to ward off parasites and bacteria. I can honestly say that anyone who doesn't cook their chicken properly is an idiot headed for food poisoning (I've disected "parasite free" chooks and they were riddled with worms). You cook your food for a reason, don't get side-tracked by fuzzy minuta.

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
if you BBQ regularly then take precautions, in the long run, it might effect you. There is a tonne of info about it on the net.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Why not back this up with some links...

Or some science :bitelip:

Also I meant to say before: "doneness"???? We have a wonderful lexicon for specific and extensive usage of the english language. We should have little need for makeyuppy of words.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Or some science :bitelip:

Also I meant to say before: "doneness"???? We have a wonderful lexicon for specific and extensive usage of the english language. We should have little need for makeyuppy of words.

lol I knew it sounded off but a ton of articles and chefs called it that.

Main Entry: done·ness
Pronunciation: \ˈdən-nəs\
Function: noun
Date: 1927
: the condition of being cooked to the desired degree

Thanks for the info, everyone!

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Um........

Steak should be cooked at a temperatue that allows the internal temp to reach 60°C for a few minutes.

This is only true in the case of hamburger bc the surface ofthe meat is mixed in with the center. The concern of internal temp on a steak is nearly nonexistent with a steak b/c the steak is a solid piece of meat and not j chopped up like in the case of ground beef.

BBC NEWS | Health | Rare steak 'is safe to eat'

It is bc the steak is a solid piece of meatand hamburger is not, it is ,loose, if youwill. Excusemy typing my space bar is eithernot working orputting 3-4 spacesbt each word.

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The good thing about steak is that the cheaper it costs the leaner it is. :cool:

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
The good thing about steak is that the cheaper it costs the leaner it is. :cool:

Lately ive been buying fattier steak since its been on sale whenever i go to the store but this last time lean cuts were on sale and a got a few packs. I pretty much just buy whats on sale lol

kn609

kn609

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is only true in the case of hamburger bc the surface ofthe meat is mixed in with the center. The concern of internal temp on a steak is nearly nonexistent with a steak b/c the steak is a solid piece of meat and not j chopped up like in the case of ground beef.

BBC NEWS | Health | Rare steak 'is safe to eat'

It is bc the steak is a solid piece of meatand hamburger is not, it is ,loose, if youwill. Excusemy typing my space bar is eithernot working orputting 3-4 spacesbt each word.
You can always count on BigBen to clear things up. :thumbsup2:

Interesting read. So does that mean no more rare hamburgers for me anymore? :shakefist:

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
kn609, what your saying is correct based on what the science suggests.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is only true in the case of hamburger bc the surface ofthe meat is mixed in with the center.
No. It is with any preparation that allows bacterial contamination to the centre of the meat. Filleting, tenderising, forking, etc, etc are all capable of transferring bacteria.
http://www.ansci.colostate.edu/files/research_reports/07ResearchReports/Avik_Cooking_destruction_of_Ecoli_in_Beef.pdf

But this doesn't address why you cook meat. You are cooking meat so that it reaches 60-69ºC so that you begin to denature the proteins of pathogens. The main concern is the external layers, but the internal layers can still harbour parasites and bacteria so the meat has to be cooked through. You also have to realise that "medium rare" would actually be well within my stated range of cooking, "rare" it may or may not depending on the thickness of the meat.

The concern of internal temp on a steak is nearly nonexistent with a steak b/c the steak is a solid piece of meat and not j chopped up like in the case of ground beef.
See my points above: meat can harbour all sorts of pathogens. In food preparation the majority are external from contaminated surfaces, etc. But the pathogens still exist within the steak or whatever.

I looked for the original reference and have battled to find it. I place little faith in university trials (MuscleTech.......). Do you have a link to the original?

See my first point. I'll reitterate that meat is often contaminated all the way through, the surface is just more aerobically active due to exposure to the air. Most contamination methods (grinding, ground, tenderising, etc, etc) also introduce air/O2 into the meat. The pathogens are still present internally, albeit in smaller concentrations.

Also there has been 30yrs of research on this topic, so if anyone is interested:

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I had BBQ steak for dinner. I think I'm going to die. :(

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Just get a gas grill instead of charcoal, easier to clean too

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
No. It is with any preparation that allows bacterial contamination to the centre of the meat. Filleting, tenderising, forking, etc, etc are all capable of transferring bacteria.
http://www.ansci.colostate.edu/files/research_reports/07ResearchReports/Avik_Cooking_destruction_of_Ecoli_in_Beef.pdf

Is that not exactly the meaning of what i said? It is infact almost exactly what isaid, as long as the outside of the meat is not some how mixed with the center, as in the case of hamburger and which with most steak you buy in the store it is not, you DO NOT need to cook throughly.

But this doesn't address why you cook meat. You are cooking meat so that it reaches 60-69ºC so that you begin to denature the proteins of pathogens. The main concern is the external layers, but the internal layers can still harbour parasites and bacteria so the meat has to be cooked through. You also have to realise that "medium rare" would actually be well within my stated range of cooking, "rare" it may or may not depending on the thickness of the meat.

so then intheory the worry is ingesting the patogen and gtting what we call disease due to pathogens living in our bodies correct? In practice the theory does not seem to be accurate. Why dont we hear about the millions of people who would be rushed to emergency rooms frompathogenic bacteria infections if this were true bc somewhere in the world every day millions of people eat steak.

See my points above: meat can harbour all sorts of pathogens. In food preparation the majority are external from contaminated surfaces, etc. But the pathogens still exist within the steak or whatever.

Where are all the bodies? The point is that the bacteria you are referring to seems to be irrelevant in practice, which makes my advice about cooking temp of steak sound advice.

I looked for the original reference and have battled to find it. I place little faith in university trials (MuscleTech.......). Do you have a link to the original?
I think you place little faith in any study that challenges what you 'know'.

See my first point. I'll reitterate that meat is often contaminated all the way through, the surface is just more aerobically active due to exposure to the air. Most contamination methods (grinding, ground, tenderising, etc, etc) also introduce air/O2 into the meat. The pathogens are still present internally, albeit in smaller concentrations.

The funny thing about this is i remember having this exact discussion in microbiology and the professor was the one that came out and said that the internal temperature of steak is not a concern. To which I add where are all the sick people who eat rare steak regularly? I think that is what your suggesting by bringing up pathogenic bacteria arent you? If steak isnt cooked all the way through people get sick? Germ theory, :footmouth:. Go immune system. :thumbsup2:

Also there has been 30yrs of research on this topic, so if anyone is interested:
4[/urlQUOTE]