• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Lack of pecs - delts taking over?

Svartberg

Svartberg

Hey guys

This has been a problem for me for the entire time i've been bodybuilding.

I have really small pecs. Yeah. Nothing works on them, volume, density, drop sets, intensity, various rep ranges and whatever. Now I've had this theory the last couple of weeks, that it might be my delts and triceps taking over in my pec workouts since my pecs simply are .. too weak. It might have worked its way from since i started working out with (probably) sloppy form, thus putting the stress on my delts and tri's instead of the actual target .. the pecs.

So what should I do? Stop working delts for a while, do more direct delt work? I like to make my seated barbell presses a bit leaned back, since it allows heavier weight thus more growth in my delts .. so yea, that might make them stronger..

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Less delt work, more pec work.

Bench with an arched back and use a closer grip than you were using. Lots of DB pressing too. No incline pressing.

If you still want to hit shoulders do standing military presses, you can't lean back on those.

Svartberg

Svartberg

Less delt work, more pec work.

Bench with an arched back and use a closer grip than you were using. Lots of DB pressing too. No incline pressing.

If you still want to hit shoulders do standing military presses, you can't lean back on those.

Got it.

I don't do BB benching, it simply doesn't do the trick for me. Nop, boycutted incline since I realized how much of a front delt exc it is :p

I'd rather avoid those, since my erectors are a little troublesome lately. What else can I do for not hitting the front delts too hard and directly?

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
What are you trying to avoid?

Svartberg

Svartberg

Standing military presses. Its easy for me to hyperextend my back, thanks to weak abs

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Strengthen your abs then! :p

But in the meantime if you still must do delt work just do side laterals.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've fixed a similar problem. I didn't bench for a year or so and then had my triceps and delts take over on pressing.

Anyway, I used activation work for chest prior to every session and also did a warmup that included stuff like stretching shoulders and triceps (to lessen their influence). So I started with band chest flys, then some pushups.

This got the chest firing and I'm now back to the issue of having weak triceps.........

Svartberg

Svartberg

Not working my front delts at all? ok I guess :)
maybe I could also do a complete 90 degree bench setup to hit my front delts less directly, doing it with controlled form, slow eccentric phase, squeeze, stretch etc., not giving stronger delts, but still keeping their size?

Thanks tim :) dynamic or static stretching for delts and tri's?

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
If you bench enough then front delt work is unnecessary.

Svartberg

Svartberg

I suppose you're right! When the time comes that I've build my chest up, I can always supplement with incline presses :)

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Don't make my mistake and stop training the other things. Keep the shoulder press in the routine, just don't bother with other front raises and stuff.

Also the static stretching is the one. It basically is done for the same reason as the reason why static stretching is undesirable as a warmup. Just remember that you need to hold each of the stretches for a reasonably long time (+40sec).

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This got the chest firing and I'm now back to the issue of having weak triceps.........

LOL, and then you'll start over and over again: weak chest -> weak tris -> weak chest... :rofl3:

I think all of us have that kind of problems... that's what's BB all about.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
LOL, and then you'll start over and over again: weak chest -> weak tris -> weak chest... :rofl3:

I think all of us have that kind of problems... that's what's BB all about.

I'm going to skip a step and just continue to have weak triceps. I feel that it will save time in the long run and allow me to focus on becoming a pro basketball player.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I'm going to skip a step and just continue to have weak triceps. I feel that it will save time in the long run and allow me to focus on becoming a pro basketball player.

What about your attempt at the chin-up world record? Or becoming Ryan Kennelly's successor as king of the bench?

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

LOL, you're evil. :rofl3::rofl3:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
LOL, you're evil. :rofl3::rofl3:

why_yes_i_am_evil_are_you_tshirtp2350434-1.jpg

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Don't forget teh shirt!

I've got the shirt, elbow wraps, and my secret weapon the spring.

I've been training the 8 board bench hard, so with the shirt I should be good for 120kg.