• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Anyone here use Linux?

P

Pain

VIP
I made the jump over last week and I am finding it really confusing but so much better than windows. It takes alot of patience to get everything set up and to figure out how to install programs.

Anyone else use linux on here? Its free and you can even boot it up with just the disc, no need to actually install it to try it.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ I've been using Debian for years... I need it for my work, I needed it in the past for my studies.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I know it is similar to dos but more powerful. So once you get a hang of the commands and have installed stuff like the Linux windows it is dead easy.

I remember using dos back in the day. We were locked out of computers at school, but you still got a command prompt. Networked DOOM for 6hrs a day!!!

I really don't know how I passed high school.

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
I've used different flavors of Linux and Unix at home, university and work for years now. Great as a "serious" OS, not for gaming tho.

Of all the modern distros i'd recommend Ubuntu (or Kubuntu) for newbie desktop users.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tim, Linux is 10 times more powerful than the good old dos. Almost 90% of internet servers are Linux-based.

Ubuntu is a decapitated version of the most "serious" and purist Linux distro.

Oh, and I use mostly Windows 7 in my spare time, LOL.

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I use Ubuntu and it runs great.

Have you read the Linux Cookbook? Good stuff, especially for beginners like me.

Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ya, that is about 90% of what I have in my data center. My company mainly use CentOS as its the same as RedHat (pretty damn close). I'm surprised you haven't used it for the forum Pain.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tim, Linux is 10 times more powerful than the good old dos. Almost 90% of internet servers are Linux-based.

I said as much:
Tim said:
I know it is similar to dos but more powerful. So once you get a hang of the commands and have installed stuff like the Linux windows it is dead easy.

Plus Linux is also the base for a lot of TV and DVD players operating systems.

We aren't allowed to run other operating systems at work. Have to keep it uniform across the department :shakefist:

Robcardu

Robcardu

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
yep ive used Ubuntu and Knoppix, i liked them both.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
P

Pain

VIP
Been using Ubuntu for about a month now. I don't think I can ever using windows again. I really can't think of one thing I don't like about Linux... maybe the lack of game support, but I keep a w7 install for games anyway.

All the programs I need are free and are actually better than the ones I "paid" for on windows.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
How does it go with Adobe program compatability?

I'm getting sick of my current OS. Word can't be too big a file or else it slows the desktop and change between windows.

P

Pioneer

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
How does it go with Adobe program compatability?

I'm getting sick of my current OS. Word can't be too big a file or else it slows the desktop and change between windows.

Sorry not really sure what your meaning by the above. But you can run Ubuntu without actually installing it. So you might want to give that a go to make sure anything you need to run will work. Also consider dual booting like Pain and also you could run windows through a virtual machine if you really need to.