• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Forearms

T

Tonka

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hey there I really need help on building fore arms there so out of proportion with my arms which are 17.5 inchs. I've been told not to train forearms because you would over train them thus not lead to growth because they take enough stimulus from pratically everything Which involves lifting weights. They seem to be really stubborn for me, any suggestions?

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good question, I also have the same problem. My arms are also 17 inches and his forearms look a little bit out of proportion. I never train them specifically.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Just train your grip. If you use straps... stop, do other grip exercise as well and your forearms will grow.

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i echo what skeptic says. ditch the straps on everything. add in some reverse curls too, they hit the forearms pretty good.

also, direct grip work, in the form of pinch grip plate holds, static holds with lots of weight etc. if u want more crushing grip, consider buying some grippers as well.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Grip has little to do with forearms. Muscles of the hand are something like 2/3 (?) confined to the hand. So only 1/3 (?) of the muscles cross the wrist and insert in the upper arm or forearm. So I agree that grip does have carry over into forearms and improved grip can alleviate wrist and forearm problems, but if your forearms aren't growing then grip work alone won't do a huge amount.

The exception is fat bar work or supportive grip work.

Tonka and mvsf1: You don't directly train forearms and your forearms suck; what does that tell you?? TRAIN YOUR FOREARMS.

I am a fan of thickbar work, wrist rollers, the occassional wrist curl and farmers walks.

T

Tonka

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Grip has little to do with forearms. Muscles of the hand are something like 2/3 (?) confined to the hand. So only 1/3 (?) of the muscles cross the wrist and insert in the upper arm or forearm. So I agree that grip does have carry over into forearms and improved grip can alleviate wrist and forearm problems, but if your forearms aren't growing then grip work alone won't do a huge amount.

The exception is fat bar work or supportive grip work.

Tonka and mvsf1: You don't directly train forearms and your forearms suck; what does that tell you?? TRAIN YOUR FOREARMS.

I am a fan of thickbar work, wrist rollers, the occassional wrist curl and farmers walks.

Sounds about right yeah, thanks.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Hey there I really need help on building fore arms there so out of proportion with my arms which are 17.5 inchs. I've been told not to train forearms because you would over train them thus not lead to growth because they take enough stimulus from pratically everything Which involves lifting weights. They seem to be really stubborn for me, any suggestions?

Hey Tonk, like Tim said i wouldnt put too much time into grip training but i would but alot of time into specific hypertrophy training. I'm guessing it's your flexors that are small. In that case, concentrate on wrist curls. Iv'e never had a problem with my forearms but when i have trained them a while ago, i did quite enjoy performing the wrist curls behind my back. Damn my forearms ballooned up!! haha

Oh and about the overtraining thing, you can train them alot more than other muscle groups because of the size of them, similar to calves.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Oh and about the overtraining thing, you can train them alot more than other muscle groups because of the size of them, similar to calves.

Show me a man with overtrained forearms and I will show you a man who desperately needs a girlfriend.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I hold the bb or db when i do forearms, at top i hold for 10-20seconds and grip as hard as i can, that should help, also The Gripper is a good way to work forearms, or just carrying heavy shit, and holding it,

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
and we all know how overtrained franks forearms are
frankmcgrathforearm-1.jpg