• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

15k - Line's NEW Top 100 Films of All Time

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
More pretentious than ever this time. Watch this space as of tomorrow. I won't be doing fancy banners, but I will include a one-or-two (or possibly three!) sentence review with each entry. I also plan on, you know, actually finishing this effort. Here's the old list -- by the bye, my new list looks nothing like this:

Out with the Old
In with the New
01. 2001: A Space Odyssey
02. Citizen Kane
03. The Rules of the Game
04. Casablanca
05. The Godfather Part II
06. The Seventh Seal
07. Stalker
08. Apocalypse Now
09. A Clockwork Orange
10. The Godfather
11. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
12. The Graduate
13. Jules et Jim
14. Bicycle Thieves
15. Vertigo
16. Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
17. The Passion of Joan of Arc
18. 8 1/2
19. Brazil
20. Annie Hall
21. Pulp Fiction
22. Straw Dogs
23. Raging Bull
24. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
25. Andrei Rublev
26. A.I.
27. Amadeus
28. Notorious
29. Gone With the Wind
30. Blue Velvet
31. Magnolia
32. Ikiru
33. Once Upon a Time in the West
34. North by Northwest
35. Army of Shadows
36. Paths of Glory
37. Adaptation.
38. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
39. M
40. The Grand Illusion
41. Lost in Translation
42. In the Company of Men
43. Ran
44. Fanny och Alexander (theatrical)
45. It's a Wonderful Life
46. Fight Club
47. Dogville
48. Touch of Evil
49. The Battle of Algiers
50. The Philadelphia Story
51. Battleship Potemkin
52. Solyaris
53. The Manchurian Candidate
54. Dancer in the Dark
55. Psycho
56. Videodrome
57. Aquirre, the Wrath of God
58. Persona
59. Being John Malkovich
60. The Virgin Suicides
61. Fargo
62. Kill Bill
63. Unforgiven
64. Jaws
65. Rear Window
66. Lost Highway
67. Memento
68. Breathless
69. Rushmore
70. The 400 Blows
71. Goodfellas
72. Traffic
73. The Big Sleep
74. The Apartment
75. The Sandlot
76. The Elephant Man
77. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

78. Miller's Crossing (Coen, 1990)

79. Barry Lyndon (Kubrick, 1975)

80. Toy Story (Lasseter, 1995)

81. Stroszek (Herzog, 1977)

82. Boogie Nights (Anderson, 1997)

83. The Maltese Falcon (Huston, 1941)

85. American Psycho (Harron, 2000)

86. The Lady Vanishes (Hitchcock, 1938)

87. The Royal Tenenbaums (Anderson, 2001)

88. South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (Parker, 1999)

89. Robin Hood (Reitherman, 1973)

90. This is Spinal Tap (Reiner, 1984)

91. Charade (Donen, 1963)

92. Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Zemeckis, 1988)
93. Playtime (Tati, 1967)

94. Glengarry Glen Ross (Foley, 1992)

95. Requiem for a Dream (Aronofsky, 2000)

96. His Girl Friday (Hawks, 1940)

97. Key Largo (Huston, 1948)

98. Eraserhead (Lynch, 1976)

99. Band of Outsiders (Godard, 1964)

100. Kicking and Screaming (Baumbach, 1995)

Last edited:
Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
100. A Serious Man (Coen, 2009)

8007o-1.jpg

A study on perspectivism and, moreover, how our immediate, uncontrollable sociocultural concerns shape our perspectives, A Serious Man is, above all else, a study on perception that jocularly plays on life's ambiguities. Although faith and certainty are certainly targets - to the point where the Coen's film reads as a assay on atheism, if not agnosticism - the picture goes to Godardian lengths to illustrate how our own unique world-view dictates our own, unique cultural orientation. This, combined with the brothers Coen's markedly dark humor, makes the picture an overtly evocative gem on the tenets of society and what it means to ask for certitude (namely via divine dispensation) in a world that will deliver us anything but.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
99. Ikiru (Kurosawa, 1952)

ikiru2-1.jpg

More than a subversive expose on the weight of humanity, Ikiru excellently expounds on ideas of both social conscience and human relativism as a way to elicit our most basic of needs -- those of intimacy and association. Though not as formally creative as Kurosawa's Rashomon, Ikiru marks an achievement in the way it posits humanity as something not mutually exclusive to the society in which it's spawned.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
More tomorrow. I'll try to do an entry or two per day. Goodnight, Mecca.

P

Pioneer

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hey Line, good to see this thread and I hope you do complete the list this time, always enjoy reading what you have to say about films.

Was wondering along with this thread, and if you have time. Could you create a thread like eg. "Lines Opinion or Reviews" where we could ask your opinion on a certain film? I know you kind of do this already in the "Official Film Discussion and Last Movie You Watched" thread but having a thread dedicated to your reviews of particular films if you have seen them I think others as well would agree would be good to see.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Which Robin Hood?

I'm a bit surprised with some of the entries. Notably Dr Strangelove.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Memento is weird movie lol

P

Pain

VIP
You could make a top 10 most disturbing movies ever made from that list. Some really weird films listed there.

I like it.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Hey Line, good to see this thread and I hope you do complete the list this time, always enjoy reading what you have to say about films.

Was wondering along with this thread, and if you have time. Could you create a thread like eg. "Lines Opinion or Reviews" where we could ask your opinion on a certain film? I know you kind of do this already in the "Official Film Discussion and Last Movie You Watched" thread but having a thread dedicated to your reviews of particular films if you have seen them I think others as well would agree would be good to see.
Good idea. Since this is a "celebratory" type thread, feel free to ask here. :thumbsup2:
Which Robin Hood?

I'm a bit surprised with some of the entries. Notably Dr Strangelove.
The Disney animated one, of course. That said, my new list is a lot less playful than the old one, though my unabashed love for Kubrick remains.
Memento is weird movie lol
Yeah, it's narratively different but I'd say that, from the old list, there's some weirder ones.
You could make a top 10 most disturbing movies ever made from that list. Some really weird films listed there.

I like it.
Wait until you see what's coming on this time. :borat:

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
98. In the Company of Men (LaBute, 1997)

inthecompanyofmen1-1.jpg

Back before the likes of Nurse Betty, The Wicker Man, and the terribly received Death at a Funeral remake, Neil LaBute really wasn't all that bad. Sure, his, albeit sometimes shocking, examples of misogyny in film can read as egregious to female viewers (or feminists of any gender) and, furthermore, his lack of aesthetic flourish can read as plain boring, but with In the Company of Men LaBute employs voyeuristic fly-on-the-wall static shots to reveal truths about the male psyche that the fairer sex was never meant to see. Going a step further, the work explicates communal breakdowns in the way it plays up our most primitive of behaviors - rhymed appropriately with jungle-evoking tribe music - in order to posit men as unready, if you will, for the emotional complexities that abound civilized life.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Worst movie ever :icon_ninja:
I guess tales of masculine control enshrouded in post-modern whimsy (and Graduate-inspired airs of social confusion) aren't for everyone. :shakefist:

P

Pioneer

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good idea. Since this is a "celebratory" type thread, feel free to ask here. :thumbsup2:

Thanks.

Well when your free, and if you have seen it, could you give your opinion of 2046. It was the second Wong Kar Wai film I saw after Chungking Express, it was the film that made me a fan, so interested in your opinion of it and what you think of Wong Kar Wai.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
-No Star Wars, Terminator, Alien... ¿WTF?

-Dr Strangelove is EPIC, it deserves more than a 16th.

-Godfather > Godfather II >>>>>>>>>>>> Godfather 3.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
and the terribly received Death at a Funeral remake, Neil LaBute really wasn't all that bad.

Deservedly so. It was a travesty of modern cinema to remake a movie so soon after the hilarious original was released. And the reason for the remake? Because Amerikans need to see a movie in Amerikan starring Amerikans rather than British people starring in a movie made by an American. Fucking pathetic :shakefist:

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Thanks.

Well when your free, and if you have seen it, could you give your opinion of 2046. It was the second Wong Kar Wai film I saw after Chungking Express, it was the film that made me a fan, so interested in your opinion of it and what you think of Wong Kar Wai.
I own 2046 actually. It's not his best, but I did find it to be great last time I watched it. If I were to rank his work (and I've seen them all!), I'd put them like this:

In the Mood for Love
Fallen Angels
Chungking Express
Happy Together
My Blueberry Nights
As Tears Go By
Ashes of Time
Days of Being Wild

He's good, but no Hou Hsiao-Hsien.
-No Star Wars, Terminator, Alien... ¿WTF?
These films are way overrated. The art community doesn't take them nearly as seriously as most others do.
-Dr Strangelove is EPIC, it deserves more than a 16th.
Well, then you really won't like its placing on the new list. :bitenails:
-Godfather > Godfather II >>>>>>>>>>>> Godfather 3.
To this day, I prefer the second film, as it's a bit more anti-Hollywood classicism in terms of narrative deployment.
Deservedly so. It was a travesty of modern cinema to remake a movie so soon after the hilarious original was released. And the reason for the remake? Because Amerikans need to see a movie in Amerikan starring Amerikans rather than British people starring in a movie made by an American. Fucking pathetic :shakefist:
I know. Funny Games - which may or may not be making an appearance soon - falls under the same category but at least its 10-year old remake was made by the same director (Micheal Haneke) and is closer to his intended vision than his original, for the whole film works as an indictment of the impact of culture on the American bourgeois, if you will. Apparently, a remake for Let the Right One In is in the works, seeing how Americans don't like reading subtitles and whatnot.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What about "War Games"?

Another epic nuclear holocaust film.

BTW: Star Wars - The Empire Strikes back is the standard for all sci-fi movies. It's currently the best film ever to me.

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good list! Looking forward to reading reviews.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I guess tales of masculine control enshrouded in post-modern whimsy (and Graduate-inspired airs of social confusion) aren't for everyone. :shakefist:

That sounds like 88 Minutes though... Pacino was teaching grad students :dunnodude:

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
Line, have you seen Daniel Espinosa's Snabba Cash (2010) (Guess its going to be called "Easy cash")
(I assume there has been talks about it since there will be a American version soon.)

And if so what do you think about it?

-D