• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Posing advice for newbies

• Thread starter mike pulcinella
  • Start date
mike pulcinella

mike pulcinella

I shot video of a bodybuilding contest last weekend. I shoot several contests a year. One of the things that really irks me is when competitors get up on stage and bore us with a posing routine that clearly has not been thought out beforehand. I see that happen time and time again.

I know this has been said many times before but once again I am going to give a few pointers for those of you contemplating your first contest or for those who are guilty of lazy posing. Have some pity on the audience and give us a good show.

1. Don't start with a most muscular!! That's the Grand Finale pose. If you begin your routine with three MMs where can you go from there?? Down, that's where.

2. Connect the poses. There should be no down time in your routine. It should be one fluid movement with pauses for each pose.

3. Practice! Nothing makes me more angry than seeing a competitor on stage thinking about what pose he should do next! Didn't you KNOW you were going to have to do this? Prepare something!

4. Don't ask for applause! This one makes my skin crawl. If your physique is good and your posing is exciting they WILL clap. If they are not clapping then get yur ass back into the gym and try again!

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Man, your post is pretty elaborated, you really read my mind. Those 4 points are really basic. I laughed so hard at #1 and #4, but in fact, you're right, that's the sad truth.

PS: you can ask for applause if you are Dexter Jackson or Jay Cutler, not AverageJoe.

mike pulcinella

mike pulcinella

Man, your post is pretty elaborated, you really read my mind. Those 4 points are really basic. I laughed so hard at #1 and #4, but in fact, you're right, that's the sad truth.

PS: you can ask for applause if you are Dexter Jackson or Jay Cutler, not AverageJoe.

Agreed! Leave that stuff to the stars!

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
dont you hate it when the rammstein music starts, the guy who came in soft to look bigger rushes onto the stage throws a most muscular and using his hands signals the crowd to start clapping?

I was watching physique TV today.. and there were 2 posing routines from some show.. the MUCH smaller more ripped guy put together a great routine, the other bigger guy, when it was his turn, didnt even have a routine. went on.. did a few most musc, back shot, front shot.. left

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice comments Mike.

I remember reading a comment Arnie had about posing being were the contest is won and lost. He had some young guy come up and ask him did he think he had a good physique. Arnie said that Arnie could win with the guy's physique. The guy mistakenly thought that he was going to win, but was not able to display his physique well enough to win.

jsfitnessking

jsfitnessking

how the bout the douche bags that pound their legs on the stage when they hit their quads.
and screaming or grunting loudly when hitting their shots.
i have to bite my lip to not tell to knock it off or shut up