• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

MuscleMecca: What's one Exercise you've never done before

D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Whats one exercise you've never done before?

off the top of my head.... prolly a clean & jerk

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
Snatch haven't been brave enough to try it. Its the one move id want coaching for even to attempt it once.

Move I wish id never done Front Raise DBs or Barbells.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Power cleans. Really want to though.

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The Jefferson Lift, or as I call it, the retarded ball-smasher.

Last edited by a moderator:
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I haven't done: anything with a kettlebell; turkish getups; those DB squats you see people doing in front of the DB rack by the mirror; anything on a fitball.

To everyone who lists olympic style lifts; just give them a go. You need coaching and practice to get really good at them, but to say they are harder than learning to squat or deadlift is ridiculous. No reason why you can't be decently proficient at them just by having a go.

Snatch's are probably the easier of the two to learn, but require the most mobility. Start with a piece of doweling and then move onto a bar. Then gradually add weight. C&J is easy to pick up as the power version, just watch your catch position and go lighter while you learn.

I actually learnt to do these in one session. Most of my practice was with the DB versions. The main thing is to practice good technique all the time and not be afraid to dump a lift.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I don't do Oly lifts because my gym doesn't allow them. :disgust:

kn609

kn609

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
To everyone who lists olympic style lifts; just give them a go. You need coaching and practice to get really good at them, but to say they are harder than learning to squat or deadlift is ridiculous. No reason why you can't be decently proficient at them just by having a go.

Snatch's are probably the easier of the two to learn, but require the most mobility.
I beg to differ with the first statement. Oly lifts are by far harder to learn than a squat and a deadlift and requires a ridiculous amount of technique. You're putting a deadlift (pull), squat (bottom/catch position), and a push press (jerk), all in one exercise but adding in different technique. Unless I'm understanding your first statement the wrong way, the squat or deadlift being harder to learn than oly lifts doesn't make much sense. The pulling technique of snatches and c&j are different than your standard deadlift and, IMO, requires much harder and precise technique.
I've seen football players in the weightroom for 4 years ever since I started working out and none of them have yet to pull off even a decent power clean. Squats and deadlifts can be learned by yourself in a matter of watching a tutorial on youtube and reading some safety info etc. The rest is pretty much common sense in learning it. You can't use common sense in learning Oly lifts because there's just way too much technique.

And to the second statement, it depends on the person. Some people find the c&j easier to pick up than the snatch, and vice versa. Like you said, mobility is crucial in performing the snatch.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I don't do Oly lifts because my gym doesn't allow them. :disgust:

Your gym sucks then, stop supporting crap gyms. Get a better gym :borat:

kn09 said:
I beg to differ with the first statement. Oly lifts are by far harder to learn than a squat and a deadlift and requires a ridiculous amount of technique.
For someone brand new to lifting I would agree. For someone who has already been training and making use of compound exercises I disagree.

The "complexity" of the lifts is often overstated because people assume that you have to be able to have the technique to C&J 200kg at 85kg BW. Well lets then say that the squat is really complex because it also requires heaps of technique and practice in order to squat 400kg. But you can get a lot more out of a BW snatch than a BW squat, and neither require that much technique in comparison to an elite level lift.

You're putting a deadlift (pull), squat (bottom/catch position), and a push press (jerk), all in one exercise but adding in different technique. Unless I'm understanding your first statement the wrong way, the squat or deadlift being harder to learn than oly lifts doesn't make much sense.
I wasn't trying to say that a squat or deadlift was harder to learn. I was trying to indicate that all lifts require some skill and technique in order to perform them. Also worth considering that a degradation in a deadlift technique has more ramifications than a C&J, simply because it is really hard to complete a crap C&J, deadlifts you can grind out. I'm just trying to say that people talk about these lifts being hard to learn and complex, yet they are talking about them at an elite level not at a basic level. We don't talk about any other lift in this way until we want to improve out performance to the next level.

The pulling technique of snatches and c&j are different than your standard deadlift and, IMO, requires much harder and precise technique.
I've seen football players in the weightroom for 4 years ever since I started working out and none of them have yet to pull off even a decent power clean. Squats and deadlifts can be learned by yourself in a matter of watching a tutorial on youtube and reading some safety info etc. The rest is pretty much common sense in learning it. You can't use common sense in learning Oly lifts because there's just way too much technique.
Sorry but I'm calling bullshit. Not saying your observation is incorrect, but you aren't noticing how crap most people squat/deadlift as well. Now those footy players that suck at weightlifting I would bet also suck at squatting. If they don't I bet they have had specific coaching on the squat. I also bet they have never gone and looked at technique videos and advice on the lifts. Basically you aren't comparing things equally.

Now I agree that it does take more than just rocking up at the gym and trying to do them. But so does any other exercise you want to list. I've literally spent years on my squat. Making weightlifting sound like it is unreachable or difficult to use is just another reason why people like you and I can't find decent gyms to lift in.

And to the second statement, it depends on the person. Some people find the c&j easier to pick up than the snatch, and vice versa. Like you said, mobility is crucial in performing the snatch.
I agree. I found the snatch easier because I have decent shoulder mobility. My brother found the power C&J easier. But in terms of technique the snatch is an easier lift to learn and teach (just harder to get right). I should have also mentioned that the power versions are easy entry points as you don't need the same levels of mobility which makes them much easier to learn.

nigster

nigster

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Before yesterday, hack squat with barbell. I tried it yesterday for the first time ever. It was fun, but kinda hard. It works your quads really effectively.

If you haven't done it, give it a go.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
^^ Haven't tried that, the Jefferson lift as lifterdead mentioned, and more..

nigster

nigster

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Haven't tried that, the Jefferson lift as lifterdead mentioned, and more..
It's kinda hard to execute, but it seems to be a great exercise.

I have tried the Jefferson lift once. Might try it again someday.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
I have tried the BB hack squats, and I must say they burn your quads pretty damn good.

have done the Jefferson too.

moves I haven't done... probably only the Oly moves.:bitelip:

Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I have never tried the BB leg press.

2h3omrn-1.jpg

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I have never tried the BB leg press.

2h3omrn-1.jpg

You need to wear boots with a heel so the bar sits on your feet. If you have high arches then you'll battle to do them with any decent weight.

kn609

kn609

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
tim290280 said:
I wasn't trying to say that a squat or deadlift was harder to learn. I was trying to indicate that all lifts require some skill and technique in order to perform them. Also worth considering that a degradation in a deadlift technique has more ramifications than a C&J, simply because it is really hard to complete a crap C&J, deadlifts you can grind out. I'm just trying to say that people talk about these lifts being hard to learn and complex, yet they are talking about them at an elite level not at a basic level. We don't talk about any other lift in this way until we want to improve out performance to the next level.
Understood now.

tim290280 said:
Sorry but I'm calling bullshit. Not saying your observation is incorrect, but you aren't noticing how crap most people squat/deadlift as well. Now those footy players that suck at weightlifting I would bet also suck at squatting. If they don't I bet they have had specific coaching on the squat. I also bet they have never gone and looked at technique videos and advice on the lifts. Basically you aren't comparing things equally.
While you are correct that their squats blow, it's light years ahead of their power cleans. I was observing this new kid working out with the football players and even though his squats sucked, he got the basic idea. He went on to try too learn the power clean, too. He didn't seem to grasp the basic idea of how to do it even when taught. But actually when I think of it, our trainer here at the high school doesn't know how to teach oly lifts the right way so I guess my observations do have some error.

time290280 said:
I agree. I found the snatch easier because I have decent shoulder mobility. My brother found the power C&J easier. But in terms of technique the snatch is an easier lift to learn and teach (just harder to get right). I should have also mentioned that the power versions are easy entry points as you don't need the same levels of mobility which makes them much easier to learn.
:borat:
Power versions are definitely much easier to learn.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
While you are correct that their squats blow, it's light years ahead of their power cleans. I was observing this new kid working out with the football players and even though his squats sucked, he got the basic idea. He went on to try too learn the power clean, too. He didn't seem to grasp the basic idea of how to do it even when taught. But actually when I think of it, our trainer here at the high school doesn't know how to teach oly lifts the right way so I guess my observations do have some error.

Yeh which harkens back to my concession that people with lifting experience have less issues learning them.

I think this is two-fold:
1) You have a better strength base in the required areas
2) You have better coordination with moving your body around a barbell.

I've seen people who are predominantly machine based trainees try to learn simple lifting tasks and battle. They lack the skill base, and probably some strength base, in order to complete the lifts correctly.

So I think for the guys here we could both agree that they should all have a go at the power versions of the weightlifting lifts. Maybe watch a couple of vids first to get an idea of what they are meant to be doing so they can step themselves through (like you would learning other lifts).

jsfitnessking

jsfitnessking

sissy squats, looks like it would tear the hell out of knees.