• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Shoulder Tweak

R

rollinswollen36

Hey guys, hope everyones training is going well. Today I started my shoulder workout with some light smith machine military presses (in front) and I felt a little tweak in my shoulder. Its tough to say where exactly in my shoulder, although I know its not my rotator cuff. Its more towards the middle of my shoulder. I continued going throughout my training session and I felt the sorness adequtley, but it didnt hinder me from doing any of my other movements and I was still able to train with the same weight and intensity as usual. Just wondering if any of you guys have expierenced anything like this and how I should handle this. Thanks a bunch, TRAIN INSANE!

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There was a little one of me in your shoulder? Odd, I figured all my illegitimate children were north of Georgia.

In seriousness.

How do you warm up?

R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There was a little one of me in your shoulder?

Thats the first thing that popped in my mind when i saw this thread :49:

-
If it didn't bother you much i doubt it is anything serious. Could be a cramp and small pull.
Like clint said could use a good warm up if thats the case.

R

rollinswollen36

Dont be hatin on GA now hahaha.. but I just get 5-10 lb db's and do all kinds of raises for about 4-5 min, then I start training and my first 1-2 sets are always extremely light with pauses and high rep ranges, any other ideas??

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
It could just be the universe punishing you for using the smith machine...

R

rollinswollen36

It could just be the universe punishing you for using the smith machine...

In all honesty, I think thats what is is.. I was trying to use it as a warmup, but I think it royally fucked me for being a pussy..

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What do you do for your lower traps and rhomboids?

R

rollinswollen36

yeah idk, I dont train them specifically, I just figure I hit them with my rowing movements and pulldowns.. any advice?

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thinking possible and typical middle trap and rhomboid weakness?

Yep. Either that or general lack of shoulder strength compared with other parts of the shoulder girdle. Does this apply rollin?

rollinswollen36 said:
yeah idk, I dont train them specifically, I just figure I hit them with my rowing movements and pulldowns.. any advice?

There are a few articles around that cover how to fix up bung shoulders. Most people who train have an imbalance in the strength of the upper versus mid and lower traps, and a lack of strength in the external versus internal rotators of the shoulder. This basically means that you don't hold your shoulder position steady during pressing movements and over time can develop an irritated shoulder. Unfortunately rows and pulldowns don't hit these areas as people generally use the stronger muscles to do them, and also most people don't do these exercises with depressed and retracted scapulars.

Anyway have a look for YTL's and scarecrows, facepulls also help as do inverted rows. The other point is that you have to do these exercises so that the shoulders are back and down. If you have a training partner get them to place a finger on each side of your spine on the lower traps when you perform YTL's or scarecrows, you should be able to feel a contraction against his fingers. Hold these contractions for counts of 5 (or 10 once you get strong enough).

If you have another strength imbalance then it could also be causing issues. Weak shoulders compared to chest or back muscles can be an issue and is about identifying what is limiting and bringing it up.

Also don't touch a smith machine or any set linear motion machine for that matter!

R

rollinswollen36

preciate that advice tim, I can military press 275 for reps, so I think my strength is secure there, but I beleive I need to focus more on the smaller parts of the delts