• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

iPod in gyms = good

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Australian Gyms Forced To Pay 1,500% More For Gym Music
May 19, 2010 12:22 p.m. by Andrew Winistorfer

Australia is currently in the midst of overhauling its royalty payment laws, after multiple suits were filed alleging comically low payouts to copyright holders. The funniest aspect of this story: Australian gyms are looking at royalty rate increases of 1,500 percent, up to $15 from less than $1. Basically, Australian gyms were paying less than a dollar for the right to pay any amount of licensed music (like, say, "Pump Up the Jam") during a class, but now Australian Copyright Tribunal raised the price to $15 per class. So now gyms are only playing unlicensed music, which I bet is totally just killing the bottom lines of shitty music that is usually played in gyms.

I never liked gym music anyway. I remember a heavy squat day once that convinced me to buy an iPod. They played Robbie Williams - Feel followed by Delta Goodrem (no idea of the song, hate her music) followed by some other easy listening junk. I think that gyms would be better off doing some sort of sponsorship deal with iTunes or similar, such that they submit a playlist for gym participants to download for a class. Then the gym can literally just have the radio playing at low levels in the gym itself and everyone can provide their own music. Win for anyone who hates their music, win for musicians, win for gyms.

Personally I've noticed that most people on the gym floor are wearing iPods anyway. Very few people listen to gym music, most ignore it anyway. Classes are the only people this will affect.

R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^pretty much, ive never really worked out without my ipod. the times i do, usually working with other people, we always ignore the music anyway.
the gyms i go to only play radio music anyway though, and i think a lot of the classes the instructors bring their own music (though ive never been to any classes of any kind in my gyms).

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Fuck yeah, musicians get fuck all royalties from everything except telivison and film.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ You know all of those law-suits to reclaim lost royalties?

Well guess the number of $$ that have been paid back to the artists named in those lawsuits as having been defiled of earnings.

I'll give everyone a clue, it can be written in binary code with one digit.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've been an iPod user since 2007 or so but one day I reasiled I was more focused on music and earphones than the actual training session.

Now, I'm an ear-free man again, I don't pay attention to gym shit music anyway.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Its fuckin ridiculous. Small bands can barely get over a dollar for each album sale also.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
although I thouroughly enjoy listening to my ipod on the way to the gym I do not like listening to it when I'm in the gym. For some reason I get distracted flicking diff songs on and It motivates me more when I hear the weights in my gym clanging rather than just pure music blasting down my ears. They play radio in my gym although I tend to ignore that.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think you guys aren't alone. Henry Rollins wrote about how he blasts the music but when he is really pushing himself he has to turn it off and just be with the iron.

I have found that as well. Most of the time music is good, but sometimes I have found it distracting, or I block it out. Usually the hard stuff is when I have no idea what is playing.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I don't need my music for my lifting because I usually zone out, but it keeps me psyched when I'm in between sets. My earbuds often fall out during vigorous lifts anyway.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
don't enjoy training with music..

if I could turn the gym sound off , I would.

R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i cant stand to lift without my music anymore. just psyches me up, but its never a distraction because when i am sifting through songs i would be just sitting there resting anyway.

kn609

kn609

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
When I'm doing any normal exercise, I'll listen to music. If I'm doing C&Js and snatches, I don't listen to my iPod. Can't focus with music if I'm doing olympic lifts. I don't need to focus too much when I'm doing any other exercise, though. Plus the wires get in the way and the ipod in my pocket is bothersome, too.

D

dsg36

^ totally agree...i think it helps keep me somewhat focused between sets...plus the music they play in my gym is so slow and bad that it really is distracting

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
When I'm doing any normal exercise, I'll listen to music. If I'm doing C&Js and snatches, I don't listen to my iPod. Can't focus with music if I'm doing olympic lifts. I don't need to focus too much when I'm doing any other exercise, though. Plus the wires get in the way and the ipod in my pocket is bothersome, too.

I've worked out that having the headphones running down my back is the way to go (over the top of the clothes) and have the iPod strapped to my forearm. This is only really for C&J, for snatches the leads can just hang in front.

chadcruz

chadcruz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I also use my ipod to drown out other people making noises (i.e. excess grunters) or people talking and saying ridiculous things(i.e. when a spotter says 'it's all you' or something similarly lame).

R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've worked out that having the headphones running down my back is the way to go (over the top of the clothes) and have the iPod strapped to my forearm. This is only really for C&J, for snatches the leads can just hang in front.

I always go with the wires underneath the shirt, helps keep em out of the way for me. Also i dont have a arm strap for it is i have to keep it in my pocket.

l12l21l2012l

l12l21l2012l

I don't need my music for my lifting because I usually zone out, but it keeps me psyched when I'm in between sets. My earbuds often fall out during vigorous lifts anyway.

thats why ipod is gay. i bought these no wires, light weight, fits nicely, 3 mins charging gives you 90 mins playback or 2hrs charging for 12 hrs playback.

sonywalkmannwzw202-1.jpg

Cork

Cork

I don't need my music for my lifting because I usually zone out, but it keeps me psyched when I'm in between sets.

This is the exact way I am as well. I don't even hear the music in my ears when I'm doing the lifting. I'm so focused on what I'm doing, it's like the music turns off as soon as I grab the weight.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I use bluetooth stereo headsets at work and in gym.
on my 32gb gen 3 itouch

i just bought motorola rokr s7-hds

336649492440OVR1-1.gif