• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

G's Training log

D

dsg36

6/22/10

**G's TRAINING LOG**

History:

I'm currently 22 years old, about 5'7", 162lbs, and studying architectural engineering at Drexel University in Philadelphia. I've been training consistently since about 18, and have loved it ever since. When i started, i weighed around 145lbs at the same height, and have gotten up to as much as 184lbs in the winter (although most was excess bodyfat). Training is something that i truely enjoy, and I have used it to help during some rough times in my life and to help deal with stress etc.

I wanted to start keeping this log to help get back on track, and to be more accountable for my actions. Over the past few years, i've done the whole college thing and have kind of gotten too much into partying etc. and have had too many distractions. I want to continue to progress with training and bodybuilding, and to do well and graduate school. By writing things down, i've found it has helped tremendously to get me to where i want to be. I want this log to be the start of the "new me."

I'd say i'm more of a powerlifter at heart, and love going heavy on compound, olympic style lifts most often. There is a part of me that does love to look shredded and staying lean in the summer, with more of a bodybuilding training style as well. I find myself switching back and forth between the two, but i do enjoy going heavy most! :headbang:

Goals:

My personal best bench was 290lbs at a weight of 162lbs, and a deadlift of 405lbs at the same weight. I've only competed once in a bench-off at my old gym, and won my weight class. I'd like to compete in bodybuilding sometime within the next 5 years, although i won't commit until i feel ready and that i would do well. Right now i'm focused on cutting/staying lean for summer, which has been going pretty well so far. I'd like to add some quality lean mass, and would like to get my overall weight up to around 175lbs at the same body-fat levels i'm at now.

*Please feel free to add any comments/advice to my training etc. along the way. Id love to have feedback from you guys, and I know i can always learn more. I'll try to keep it updated as much as possible, but sometimes with school and stuff it can be a little difficult. Thanks for reading, and i hope you enjoy my log! :thumbsup2:

D

dsg36

6/22/10
*Thursday, around 1:00pm, 161lbs, felt fresh prior to training

I'm about to go train, so i'll post my workout once i get back and let you guys know how it went. I took off yesterday, so should have a decent day today.

D

dsg36

Chest and light tri's

Pre-Workout:

-USPlabs Jack3d
-Turkey and cheese sandwich
-1 banana

-light warm-up and stretch (few light presses and pushups)

Goal:
Today's main focus was to use moderate weight and really focus on the squeeze and pump. Instead of going super heavy, i shortened the rest periods and really focused on feeling the muscles work. My chest is already fairly developed, so i usually try to focus on building my upper chest since that can never really be too big!

Workout:

Incline B.B.
135lbs x 10, 155lbs x 8, 185lbs x 6 (plus drop set) 135 x 5, 135 x 8

Flat B.B.
185lbs x 6....+ 10 rack presses, 185lbs x 6....+ 10 rack presses, 185 x 5....+10 rack presses

*Note: Rack presses are just something i do to get more blood pumped into the muscle. It's just a pushup on the dumbbell rack and really focusing on the chest to press. Not a very difficult, but really helps feel the pump. Pushups would do the same, but i just like to isolate the chest by leaning on the rack.

Dips
Mid-Wide Grip = 10 reps, 10 reps
Close Grip = 10 reps, 10 reps

Fly Machine
100lbs x 12, 110lbs x 10, 120lbs x 10

**supersetted with....

Straight Bar Pullovers
(done on a pulldown machine, with a pulldown bar...gotta work with what is available at my gym, and not a big fan of doing these with a dumbbell because i just don't feel enough of a stretch)

50lbs x 12, 50lbs x 10, 50lbs x 10

Also did about 4 sets 12 reps of light reverse pressdowns for tri's (hit them earlier in the week) and 5 sets 8-10 reps of hanging leg raises for abs. These are my favorite ab exercise, and i'm slowly getting better at them.

Postworkout = 40 grams of O.N. ProComplex and 5-10grams of O.N. creatine

Overall, felt good about the workout today, which makes sense since i took off yesterday. I usually start to feel weaker and burnt out toward the end of the week, but that rest day always helps. I most likely won't be able to write as detailed of a description as i did today, but it's the first day so wanted to get off to a good start! Stay tuned for tomorrows workout.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Welcome to the logs! good session right there! big bench for your weight!

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Welcome to the logs mate! :borat:

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
welcome g stay active and we'll support u

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Kudos on starting a log. Shame about cutting back on the partying though. :linedrunk:

D

dsg36

thanks for checking out my log and the comments guys!

Had early class this morning (9 a.m. is early for us college kids) so i'm gonna go train in about an hour or so. The world cup is on, so i'm going to finish watching the Brazil Portugal game and head to the gym for a big leg day! I'll update once i get back...and happy Friday everyone!

D

dsg36

LEG DAY

Pre-Workout:
-USPLabs Jack3d
-1 Angus Burger with fruit (a banana, and a few blueberries)

-light warm-up walk to the gym (it's hot as hell out)

Goal:
Had some decent energy today before hittin' the weights so i knew prior to heading to the gym i'd focus most of my workout around squats today. I like to use a variety of reps, and focus most of my working sets around going heavy. I always go ATG with squats, because i feel the range of motion is truly important for full leg development. I'm a shorter guy, so i also feel that there is no excuse for me not going all the way to the ground!

Workout

Additional Warm-up
I always make sure to really warm up my legs prior to squatting. Last year i got a little ahead of myself and tried going too heavy too soon and really paid for it and couldn't squat again for a few weeks. I also have pain in my right knee due to a hockey injury a month or two ago that always seems to come back if i don't warm up properly. I started this leg workout as i normally due, and use a few machines to get the blood flowing. I due a mini giant set between the seated ham curl machine, leg extension machine, and the abductor and adductor machines for my warm-up. I usually go around 2-3 sets of 12 reps, and go straight from one machine to the other until i'm done. I don't really worry too much about weight at this point, just using the exercises as a warm-up and to get the blood flowing. It's also useful because it does pre-exhaust the legs a bit, so i don't need to go super heavy with weight during the rest of the workout. I will add weight as the sets progress, until i feel ready to go attack squats!

ATG Squats
135lbs x 10, 185lbs x 8, 225lbs x 6, 225lbs x 5 (plus drop set) 135lbs x 7, 135lbs x 10 (plus superset with) leg extensions 50lbs x 10

*Again, with squats i make sure i go as low as i can, and use about a shoulder width stance, maybe a little larger. I focus on a full stretch, pushing thru my heels, and my legs are on fire after!

Seated Hamstring Curl
60lbs x 15, 70lbs x 12, 90lbs x 10, 90lbs x 10, 70lbs x 12

Walking Lunges (with a B.B. on shoulders)
60lbs x 10 steps (each leg), 60lbs x 12 steps (each leg), 60lbs x 10 steps (each leg)

Standing calf machine (kind of a 45 degree angle)
30lbs x 15 (plus) 10 half reps, 30lbs x 12 (plus) 10 half reps, 30lbs x 10

Seated calf machine
15lbs x 12, 15lbs x 10, 15lbs x 10

*I find that most people at the gyms i've been to do calves completely wrong. I always see a lot of bouncing, and barely any range of motion. I really like to go slow and controlled, all the way down, and all the way back up on my toes. Doing it this way, i really don't need a lot of weight to really feel like my legs are on fire.

Cooldown
Today, i did a few more leg extensions and ham curls to trash the rest of my legs. I did them as supersets, switching quickly back from one to the other. Went for around 3 sets of 12 reps, and again, wasn't too worried about the weight i was using. Really just wanted to get a full stretch and to pump my legs up fully before heading home.

Postworkout = 45 grams of O.N. ProComplex and 10 grams of O.N. creatine

*NOTES: Today i focused mainly on my squats for my workout, with a few exercises for calves, hams, and quads thrown in there to supplement the workout as well. I did do deadlifts earlier in the week, along with a hockey game on monday and ran for a while on sunday as well, so i didn't follow my usual leg routine. Right now with trying to stay lean and cut, and i am in adding more cardio etc. to help with the cutting. Felt pretty exhausted after the workout, which is always a great feeling after doing legs!

**Question for you guys:
I'm beginning to feel some of the strength go down, or stay the same, with my leg workouts. I think some of it is due to the running, playing hockey, and excess cardio i'm doing. I haven't really been able to put the effort into the volume and exercises for legs like in the winter time, because they've been tired from all the cardio etc.

I play hockey once a week, and do cardio another 2-3 times a week which mostly consists of running because i hate just walking or sitting on a bike for 45mins because i feel like i'm being lazy and wasting time. Hockey really destroys my legs, and i always try to incorporate atleast some type of leg workout like today, in the week as well. I can't really get out of playing hockey once a week, although i think the season is over in a few weeks (the next season will start up a few weeks after that). I do know in order to continue to develop strength and size in my legs, i have to put the work in. I feel like there is a fine line between overtraining them, and putting enough quality time in. Any suggestions as to how i should attack this?

-Thanks again guys for reading!

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Very good session man, i would advise to just hit the legs and maintain until hockey season is over, then focus on legs until the new season starts, then maintain the new mass and strength, remember to eat extra on hockey days, u burn a shitload of calories!

D

dsg36

Thanks for the input prince....I think your right that if i try and focus on legs between seasons, i should be able to make some gains and maintain them during the next one

D

dsg36

So I went to the gym today to attack arms, and although i didn't have that eventful of a weekend, still just didn't feel great in the gym. Was just one of those days where you don't have the enthusiasm and/or energy to hit the weights hard. I attempted to do a few curls and pushdowns to warm up, and right away i just new it wasnt going to work today, so i went home shortly after.

On a positive note, i did force myself to do some cardio a little bit later at home. Ran a total of about 2.5 miles around my neighborhood, which went really well. I am trying to focus a bit more on cutting/leaning out anyway, so i'd say it was a success.

Since i took the weekend off, i'll be fresh to hit the weights hard tomorrow morning after class, something to look forward to!

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Rest is Best, you will kill the weights next time!

D

dsg36

sorry guys been kinda busy with school and stuff but updating my logs from this week...

Shoulders

Goal: Really tried to use good form and really get a pump going...has been pretty much my goal for all workouts this week. Also planned on focusing more on the side delts because i knew i would be hitting

Lat Raise: 10lbs x 12, 10lbs x 12 (superset with) Front B.B. Raise 40 x 10, 40 x10

Front D.B.'s:
55lbs x 10, 60lbs x 8, 65 x 8

Seated Lat Raise:
10lbs x 10, 10lbs x 12, 10lbs x 12

Reverse Fly Machine:
70lbs x 12, 80lbs x 10 (Drop set) 60lbs x 5, 60lbs x 10

Upright Rows:
95lbs x 8, 95lbs x 8, 95lbs x 10

1 Arm Behind Cable Raise:
15lbs x 10 (each), 20lbs x 8 (each)

Machine Shoulder Press 120lbs x 12, 140lbs x 10

Plus some light stretching and cool down stuff...Also keep in mind i do a few minor supersets here and there. I kind of jump around the gym sometimes if i find myself taking too much time between sets, so i do end up doing a bit more volume than listed.

Also had a playoff hockey game later that night, and played really well and we won... so we are moving on! Deff feel like my cardio is getting better!

D

dsg36

Back:

Forgot my book to bring to the gym to write stuff down so cant really write down weight amounts for this week...

Straight bar pulldowns:
As a nice stretch and warmup

Lat Pulldown
Had different grips, only 3 sets to warmup

T-Bar Row Machine (lay chest on a 45 degree pad, weight is attached to a free bar)
Worked up to 4 sets

1 Arm Row D.B.
2 sets

Pullups:
5 sets of 6-12 reps

Seated Row Machine:
Just a machine that works really well for me, did 3 sets of 12 reps

Went decently heavy today, and was pretty exhausted after.

And did about a 2 mile run/jog later in the evening. Trying to stay consistent w/ cardio, and with my schedule it's easier to split it up during the week. It helps cuz it keeps me fresh for each too. Overall, a good day.

D

dsg36

Workout:

Legs:

Light warm-up (see earlier leg day...did similar warmup with giant sets etc.)

Squats:
Wanted to just really go at squats today. I feel like my leg size has been somewhat lacking so just wanted to really focus on the best thing for my legs today. I try to go super controlled and A.T.G. on every rep, and i feel my squat form isn't too terrible. Just need to work on adding some weight to my sets.

135lbs x 10
135lbs x 10
185lbs x 8
185lbs x 6
225lbs x 6
235lbs x 3
245lbs x 2
225lbs x 3
195lbs x 5
195lbs x 4

45 Degree Calf Machine:
4 sets of 12, plus 10 partial reps...(full stretch and high on toes finish)

Seated Calf Machine:
2 sets of 12 reps

Also did another 15 minutes of cardio...legs are completely toasted!

I'm going to take off from lifting tomorrow. Planning on doing a bunch of cardio (if legs are not destroyed) and some abs if i feel up to it. I'm going to the beach this weekend for the 4th of july, so won't be lifting again till Monday-Tuesday.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Everything is looking good man! keep it up!!

D

dsg36

haven't really had a chance to hit the weights yet this week. Celebrated a bit too hard for the July 4th weekend, so took the beginning of this week off from the weights.

On a positive note, did have a playoff hockey game last night, and did really well, we ended up winning by 2. We play again tonight to see who moves on in the series. My stamina has deff. improved from the cardio, and felt pretty fresh throughout the whole game yesterday.

Plan on hitting up an arm workout today, and get back to the weights tomorrow after my game tonight. Losing the game tonight is not an option!

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Just rest and come back with a vengeance!