• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Several training questions, looking for research

Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I did quite a bit of searching but there were a lot of semi-related posts that didn't really cover what I wanted, and a few deleted threads (for whatever reason). Specifically, I'm looking for scientific research regarding:

1. Squat form, in reference to depth and the forces the knees and hips must endure at the varying depths.

2. Is it worth doing decline bench in addition to, or in place of, flat bench? Talking about muscle fiber recruitment here.

3. Scientific backing supporting the supplementation of glucosamine or similar products?

4. In general, what is the best way to perform cardio with fat loss as a goal? For example, running vs walking, alternating speeds, intensity/heart rate, etc.

Just to reiterate, I know data related to most of these has been posted at some point in the past 4 years of this forum, and I feel like I have a good idea regarding the answers to these questions, but I am really looking for some reputable data.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
First two I have covered. Search in this section for topics I have started with squats in the title. The decline is a waste of time, check the stuff I have in my training thread.

Glucosamine is pretty well researched, but mainly arthritis pain relief. Google Scholar or Pubmed should help there.

Cardio is a mine field. HIIT has the most support as far as I'm aware. I think I posted something by Kravitz on this in the articles section.

Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tim, from what the search bar is telling me, you haven't started any threads with squats in the title. In one thread you mentioned that you did a write up on the topic and provided a link, but the link was broken.

Edit: Also, in your training support column you posted these:

"I have been searching for the reference I found long ago about knee forces and squatting depth. Haven't found it yet but:"

"I can't quickly find the article on the recommended deep squatting to 120-140 degrees. If anyone else does please post it here as the article also acts as a review on squatting for strength and sports."

Did you ever end up finding the source and posting it somewhere else? Sorry if I've missed it, I haven't been able to find it.

Edit 2: "You also posted this: I'm attacking some of the dogma of training here I know. "But chest day is bench, then inclines, then declines, then flyes". Well the studies have shown that all those exercises use exactly the same muscles (the only real difference is in delt and tri involvment). So performing multiple chest exercises in a session isn't really productive. If those exercises were spread out over several sessions then we are getting somewhere (as while there isn't any difference in the three angles of presses they do emphasise sternal or clavical portions and delt and tri involvment differently and have merit when performed seperately). But if you were to base a chest workout on flyes, you'd probably all agree that the just don't have the loading potential to really work the chest without a press first.

Stay tuned for an article soon on this........."

I didn't see the follow up in the thread, however.

R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
as pertaining to question 1 of squat depth i would search, if you haven't already, pubmed and google scholar for 'squatting depth knee force' or something along those lines, you should find a lot of articles (or at least a few).

First one that i saw was http://www.nsca-lift.org/HotTopic/download/Squat%20Depth.pdf and seemed to have most of the information you would need. It is not a scientific paper but more of a summation of different articles referenced in the PDF.

Hope that helps some.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Interesting article, rageking :xyxthumbs:

Foot position:
Foot position for quads - MuscleMecca.com Forums

Squat depth:
Squatting depth - MuscleMecca.com Forums

Leg muscles:
Legs do what now? - MuscleMecca.com Forums

Incline vs Flat - scroll down for my additions.
Incline vs Flat - MuscleMecca.com Forums

Last edited by a moderator:
Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks guys, I'll look through everything when I have enough time and post again here if I'm still looking for something.