• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Serratus Soreness

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
I know the serratus gets involved during some pressing movements but my serratus gets sore every single time i do chest or shoulders. Usually gets even more sore then my shoulders. Anyone else get this? Is my serratus too dominant during those movements?

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
LOL, I never heard that in my life! Good luck!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'd suggest you video your form on movements. I'm betting you are not as stable as you need to be.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
well i cant video tape it at the gym but maybe i can tape it in my back yard when i get a chance..

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'll echo what Tim said and also add, make sure you are keeping your shoulder blades retracted during your pressing movements. You are likely not keeping your shoulder blades as stable as they should be during the movements.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
^ that makes sence, moving my shoulder blades i can feel my soreness. If im able to get a vid ill take it, if not, ill make sure to keep my shoulder blades back during pressing movements.

pakiman

pakiman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
And all of my life I thought those were pulling muscles... hhhmmm never got them sore on pushing movements! I dont think those are involved in pushing except for stablizing the movement!

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
i think they are activated when pushing your scapula forward and/or up, I hope you know im talking about the Serratus Anterior and not Posterior.

I know those muscles get activated during pressing movements... i just may be using them too much from pushing my scapula forward while pressing. Next time i will try to keep my scapula retracted during shoulder pressing.

I feel like i get a good shoulder workout but my serratus just gets sore every time i do overhead press and fairly often when i bench.

Last edited:
pakiman

pakiman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Yep sounds like a good idea... do you do presses seated with something to support your back or standing with free weights? Try presses in smith machine with bench in a position that supports your back at the right angle... and also just do front presses and not behind the neck... I'd imagine there can be soreness from behind the neck presses done with extesively arched back but personally I never do those because of bad bad rotators cuff!

Last edited:
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Yep sounds like a good idea... do you do presses seated with something to support your back or standing with free weights? Try presses in smith machine with bench in a position that supports your back at the right angle... and also just do front presses and not behind the neck... I'd imagine there can be soreness from behind the neck presses done with extesively arched back but personally I never do those because of bad bad rotators cuff!

No don't use a smith machine. I better idea would be to stick your hands in a mulcher and sleeping in a starving-rat infested room.

I agree that behind the neck presses are not the greatest for your shoulders, but they have little to do with the issue at hand.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sore serratus s is from weak serratus, u use them alot to stabalize overhead stuff when unsupported and or standing, mine still get somewhat sore when i max out on standin press, push press and BTN push presses, just think that they will get stronger from all the overhead pressing ull do standing, not many people experience soreness there because of all the seated and supported pressing done

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Sore serratus s is from weak serratus, u use them alot to stabalize overhead stuff when unsupported and or standing, mine still get somewhat sore when i max out on standin press, push press and BTN push presses, just think that they will get stronger from all the overhead pressing ull do standing, not many people experience soreness there because of all the seated and supported pressing done

Good perspective. I get sure during seated press aswell. Also as i mentioned before, during bench. Its been this way since i first started training :/ its not a huge deal but i can try to make some adjustments to make sure my shoulders are doing enough work.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I can't say I've ever experienced any sort of soreness through my serratus from training lol.

pakiman

pakiman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good perspective. I get sure during seated press aswell. Also as i mentioned before, during bench. Its been this way since i first started training :/ its not a huge deal but i can try to make some adjustments to make sure my shoulders are doing enough work.

Truth is as long as its 'good pain' you should just role with it! Because of the different ways each of us is put together we have different leverages and that makes some body parts work more actively than others... may be its a blessing in disguise and you will end up with Frank Zane or Jaroslav Horvath Sarratus :)

I get em sore ONLY from old fasioned light weight/high rep bent arm barbell pull overs... and nothing else! So in a way you can consider yourself lucky to work them even unintentionally!

Last edited:
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
between squats and squats what do u expect?

I don't think we can criticise someone for training their legs more than their upper body. That would be like criticising MacGyver for not being able to save the world with an elastic band and a paperclip.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
I don't think we can criticise someone for training their legs more than their upper body. That would be like criticising MacGyver for not being able to save the world with an elastic band and a paperclip.

So skip is the macgyver of legs ? :O