• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Extreme measures

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
(Not sure were to put this, but a mod can move it to a better section if needed)

So, As some of you guys know, I have a busted disc in my back that I'm getting rehabed for atm.
I had a conversation with the therapist about my bodyweight. Which is about 265 at 15% bf. I have dropped some good weight since Im doing a diet (13th week atm).

The therapist thinks it would be a good idea to drop more weight, and I totaly agree, but he came up with the idea of a powderdiet. consisting of, yes protein powder and essential fats. That then would make me drop more and in a fast pace. Do you guys think that would be a good thing to do? Considering my back is as he puts it "fu**ed up by years of heavy lifting, without proper execution"

He told me that my days of powerlifting is over since my back is "dead" so my goal from now and on is to get close to 220 and stay there while maintaining a good core and be happy with that.

So as I said dropping weight as fast as possible to take pressure of the spine is done best how?

-D

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Why don't you just simply drop your calorie intake by, let's say, 10%?

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Im already down to 2500-2600

Are u losing weight?

I mean, I don't get the point of that "extreme measures", as you call them (that powder-diet thing). If you aren't dropping the weight you think you should be loosing, then cut down another 10% of calories. Just my 2 cents.

PS: how in hell are you 265? That's nuts!

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
i dont mean any disrespect but you're prolly not 15% lol anywho, have you tried ketosis? try it and do cardio

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
Are u losing weight?

I mean, I don't get the point of that "extreme measures", as you call them (that powder-diet thing). If you aren't dropping the weight you think you should be loosing, then cut down another 10% of calories. Just my 2 cents.

PS: how in hell are you 265? That's nuts!

Yeah Im 265 right now, I have a really wide and thick structure. I was about 200-210 in highschool from just playing hockey, gained about 20lbs once we started to do squats ect once I turned 16. So I carry a lot of weight without doing anything really.
The reason Im thinking about dropping fast is because as I said. the therapist thinks my recovery is hindered by my high bodyweight compressing the spine. And by doing so not giving the disc any real chance to heal.

And yes Im dropping weight, I have been dieting for 13 weeks and Im down 19lbs.

i dont mean any disrespect but you're prolly not 15% lol anywho, have you tried ketosis? try it and do cardio

I had my bf checked 2 weeks ago using a Caliper. I was 15.2% bf.
Im doing a keto diet right now yes. 300-400g protein, rest fat. atm getting 2500kcal per day. Cardio is done 15-20min per day on my crosstrainer which I think is enough since I work on a warehouse carrying stuff all day aswell.

-D

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ketogenic diets are rarely a good idea. I have said this in numerous threads. Protein is a poor food source for generating ATP. Protein is needed lesser amounts for tissue building and repair and enzyme formation. Eating 400g protein a day adds a lot of unnecessary acidic components to your diet. The human body is suppose to exist in a slightly alkaline ph. Decrease the protein to 1 gram per kg of LEAN mass, if you are training. put your dietary fats at 50g of fat a day, and the rest of your calories should come from plant based unprocessed carbohydrates such as steel cut oats, yams, egg plant, bananas, fruits ect. Add some green and white tea to your diet, but instead of buying tea bags buy the whole tea and brew it yourself. The tea will help you in many ways. It will help detoxify your cells, it will help increase metabolism, and tea also contains many cancer fighting disease fighting nutrients.

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
Ketogenic diets are rarely a good idea. I have said this in numerous threads. Protein is a poor food source for generating ATP. Protein is needed lesser amounts for tissue building and repair and enzyme formation. Eating 400g protein a day adds a lot of unnecessary acidic components to your diet. The human body is suppose to exist in a slightly alkaline ph. Decrease the protein to 1 gram per kg of LEAN mass, if you are training. put your dietary fats at 50g of fat a day, and the rest of your calories should come from plant based unprocessed carbohydrates such as steel cut oats, yams, egg plant, bananas, fruits ect. Add some green and white tea to your diet, but instead of buying tea bags buy the whole tea and brew it yourself. The tea will help you in many ways. It will help detoxify your cells, it will help increase metabolism, and tea also contains many cancer fighting disease fighting nutrients.

I was waiting for a "guru" to get in here :icon_smile:
I have always thought a high protein diet would increase your metabolic rate and the fat would be a better fuel for the body. But this isn't the case?. I will definitely incorporate a lot of this into my diet.

Cheers Ben

-D

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Protein is a thermogenic, it does create heat and heat will increase metabolism. Protein needs to be used as a tool in balance with the other nutrients to maintain a high energy level and maintain the appropriate PH so your body does not have to use minerals, mainly calcium, to balance your blood ph. Protein also dehydrates the body. Protein is dry weight in cells and dry weight in the body. Think of the effect protein has on your hydration like adding more sand to a glass of water. The sand is the protein and the glass of water and sand mixed is the solution of your body. The more you add sand the higher the ratio of sand to water becomes, and the solution is becoming more dry weight than it is water. That is part of why protein dehydrates the body, so drink your water. A dehydrated body does not burn fat as efficiently as hydrated body. It is critical to stay hydrated.

Drinking cold water will increase metabolism. Ice cold water consumed 8-16 oz at a time will actually drop body temperature depending on the size of the person, and the body will speed it self up to generate heat to maintain its homeostatic temperature. Cold water will also help fight food cravings up to a point, but the glucose receptors in your stomach will eventually override that effect. Fiber is also a thermogenic, so are hot peppers and caffeine and most uncooked vegetables. The previous are not really big thermogenics individually but used together they can have an effect that would otherwise go unnoticed.

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sorry to change this thread into a Q and A, but what are your macros like Ben? What is the ratio of your macronutrient intake while bulking? My competition weight was around 180 pounds (probably around 5% bodyfat). You're saying I should take in 1 gram of protein per kg of lean body mass? That's around 90 grams of protein a day! Did I read what you wrote wrong??

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sorry to change this thread into a Q and A, but what are your macros like Ben? What is the ratio of your macronutrient intake while bulking? My competition weight was around 180 pounds (probably around 5% bodyfat). You're saying I should take in 1 gram of protein per kg of lean body mass? That's around 90 grams of protein a day! Did I read what you wrote wrong??

That also sounds like a low figure to you, my friend? I was thinking the same.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

You cannot apply my advice for situation to a different situation. Daniels goal was to drop weight. You are a bodybuilder and I assume your goal is to gain lean tissue. I do not have any universal guidelines for anything because everyone is different. The idea is to give the body the nutrition it requires to achieve your goal as healthy as possible. Also, most bodybuilders are conditioned into thinking they need massive dosages of protein b/c of what the professionals who use drugs are consuming. A drugged athlete has increased protein synthesis and can metabolize the extra protein in a beneficial way. If a non drug user tries to mimmic the diet of a drug user expecting the same results or similar results they are going to be let down.

What are my macronutrient suggestions for bulking? It depends on what the persons routine is like, what kind of supplements they are on and if the athlete decides to remain drug free.

Generally speaking i would use :

25% protein
60% carbohydrate
15% fats

I always determine the amount of protein required first for athletes. This varies from 1-2 grams per kg of lean mass depending on the athletes metabolism and the amount of volume they use while training and the effect of any 'supplements' the athlete uses. I convert the grams into calories and then assign that amount of calories as 25% of the calories for the diet.

Then i find the other percentages accordingly. I usually do not take clients over 60grams of fat no matter how large they are, but some times I do. My decision on that is based off of the clients metabolism and training related issues. Maintaing a lower body fat% helps maintain insulin sensitivity also. Meeting the exact percentages are not as important as finding out the specific ratios of nutrition for a specific client. If someone does better at some other percentages then we use those for that person.

FOod choices are important also. I always recommend nutrient dense whole foods rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, polyphenols, ect. Keeping the cells healthy and functioning properly is the first agenda. Next comes manipulating the diet to achieve the clients goals. I am not a fan of processed foods, period. That includes protein powders. I only recommend their use in very specific instances, if at all. I usually never use supplements on healthy people. An herb can always take the place and usually works much better than any processed pill, powder, ect.

I hope this gives you a better idea of how I operate.

Ben

Last edited:
Reactions: Pioneer