• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Deadlift form for taller athletes.

Anabolicus

Anabolicus

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

So, this guy legit? Because I really hate doing deads, perhaps implementing something like this would help.

What do you guys think?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Bit wide of the mark. Sumo would allow certain body proportions a better set of leverages, yes, but it is more about proportions than height. The supinated grip is a terrible idea. People will try to lift with the arms, and nothing says bicep tear better than massive overloading of a small muscle.

There was an article posted on the differences between standard and sumo deadlifting here somewhere. If not I may still have it at home.

Cork

Cork

It seems a lot of his basis for altering stance is because of athletes with weak upper backs, and not neccesarily tall people. If you can't keep your shoulders back when deadlifting, then it's too heavy.

And I agree with Tim completely on the supine grip. Any time you see someone tear a bicep while doing deads, it's from the alternated grip, and it's the supine handed side.

Now I'm not saying you shuldn't try sumo if you're really tall, but I wouldn't say it's your only option. If you suck at dead lifting, it's probably not because of your height, it's because dead lifting is hard.

And Anabolicus, how tall are you?

Aeugh

Aeugh

I'm 6'3" and agree with this. Not the fully supinated grip, although I'm sure he meant it more as an assistance workout to build upper back strength, not necessarily for 1RM. It's not impossible for me to do conventional with perpendicular shins, it's just that a lot of energy is diverted into maintaining neutral spine while not falling backwards with the weight. For maxing out, definitely sumo.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm 6'3" and agree with this. Not the fully supinated grip, although I'm sure he meant it more as an assistance workout to build upper back strength, not necessarily for 1RM. It's not impossible for me to do conventional with perpendicular shins, it's just that a lot of energy is diverted into maintaining neutral spine while not falling backwards with the weight. For maxing out, definitely sumo.

Perpendicular?? Sounds like you aren't setting up properly. While you want the bar travelling as close to the shins/body as possible this doesn't mean that you want to shift the midline of your body dramatically backwards.

I remember the last time I had this discussion. The person complaining about being too tall to (insert exercise here) was actually only just over average height. The main problem was that they lacked mobility and strength, sumo doesn't address those issues.

fallen

fallen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm 6'4 and i dont really like the form he is showing. I say the main thing with being tall and deadlifting is that you have to slow down use lighter weight than want you sometimes want and just keep at it. It will all fall into place just don't rush through it. I do agree that if your upper back is weak then you will have a harder time. That was my main issue when i started out, but now i love deadz and can get good weight up its just a little alkward the taller ypu are sometimes

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
I'm 6'4 and i dont really like the form he is showing. I say the main thing with being tall and deadlifting is that you have to slow down use lighter weight than want you sometimes want and just keep at it. It will all fall into place just don't rush through it. I do agree that if your upper back is weak then you will have a harder time. That was my main issue when i started out, but now i love deadz and can get good weight up its just a little alkward the taller ypu are sometimes

Couldn't agree more. Is it harder? yes, it takes more energy to pull the same weight to a bigger height, just get over it and keep pulling. At least we reach the top shelf. As tim said the "i can't do -whatever- 'cause i'm too -something-" is often time pure bull****.

Aeugh

Aeugh

Yeah perpendicular shins to the floor the whole time. I can obviously get under the weight if I let my knees travel over the bar, but then it turns into some kind of front-squat quad dominant movement instead of a pull with your posterior chain.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yeah perpendicular shins to the floor the whole time. I can obviously get under the weight if I let my knees travel over the bar, but then it turns into some kind of front-squat quad dominant movement instead of a pull with your posterior chain.

Like I said, you are setting up incorrectly. You are essentially trying to move the weight in front of your midline, thus of course you will have difficulties in lifting. It means you have to bend more at the hips (and possibly elsewhere) and you lose power. In fact lifting that way essentially requires you to perform the lift as a SLDL if there is any decent weight on the bar (which is what you see a lot of PLers doing, using their back to lever the weight up). Long term this is always going to be hard on your spine.

I'd recommend overhauling your form and deadlifting properly. And the posterior chain will be just as involved (as you're still required to extend and push through once the bar is past the knees), so don't worry about that. Essentially you should be able to squat down with your knees over your toes and then your shins will touch the bar. This would mean the bar will be roughly over the balls of your feet or perhaps the middle of your foot. It also means that the first pull is legs pushing through the floor and pull from the upper back.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
that must suck being tall having to do this, . he said do it that way for now? guess they can do it normal style once their stronger.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
So when i deadlift i should have both hands pronated?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So when i deadlift i should have both hands pronated?

As much as possible. Once it gets really heavy it is fine to use a mixed grip. Just be sure to swap which hand is supinated and be sure to not bend your arms, i.e. keep as much strain off the bicep as possible.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Whoever said deadlifting is harder for tall people forgot to tell all 6 feet of Konstantinovs, who I should add, is a conventional puller.

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
Whoever said deadlifting is harder for tall people forgot to tell all 6 feet of Konstantinovs, who I should add, is a conventional puller.

Just imagine what could he do if he was a midget.
On a serious note, i'm 6'1" (btw wth are YOU doing using feet inches mumbo jumbo?) 1.85m and deads is my favourite exercise and i have no problems with conventional stance and form.Not that i'm a strong guy but that's not a height problem. I just use mixed grip when needed just as everyone else. My training partner is taller than me (near 1.90m) and he has never complained about deads. However, moving the same weight to a higher height requires more work to be done and that's plain physics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potential_energy the difference may be minimal but when we are talking about maximal efforts...
On the other hand, some people (tall or short) may have different leverages/proportions which could make it easier or harder to deadlift: long legs, short arms... those may need to adjust their form somehow to avoid that disadvantage, but i don't feel it's as simple as "if you're tall lift this way", see a picture of Pau Gasol, with those arms i doubt he'd have any problems to perform a conventional deadlift.

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
PS: and form a competitive standpoint, shorter lifters have an edge over taller ones. A -90Kg 5 footer will be, in general, stronger than a -90Kg 6 footer. So Freako, you're basicly a cheater :p

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

How many hands is that?

Also 1.83m tall isn't tall, it is just above average.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
6ft is freakishly tall. Normal people are 5'6.

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
6ft is freakishly tall. Normal people are 5'6.

haha, sorry for the off-topic but this reminds me of some conversation i had with a friend of mine back in the U.

Friend -"I've been talking with this guy, his name is --whatever it was-- i think you know him"
Me -"mmm I'm not sure i know anyone named --whatever--...how's he?"
Friend -"pale, black long hair, glasses... and he's quite short"
Me -"how short?"
Friend: "more or less like you"
LOL. And he was dead serious.

Of course my friend is >1.95m tall so for him i'm a frigging dwarf.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I'd cockpunch your friend for fun.