• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Weak bodypart train twice a week?

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

For some reason, my chest is the weakest part of my body in terms of weight I can lift. It really bothers me. My split looks something like this:
M-Shoulders, Biceps; T-Legs; W-off; TH-Chest; F-off; SA-back; Sun-off.

My questions is it OK to add an extra chest day in there, maybe on Sunday, so that I hit it twice a week? And if so, will that even help me grow and move up in weight?

Thanks!

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
What are you doing for chest?

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Its ok, but more isnt always better! Why not try an upperbody/lowerbody type split and use mostly compound movements while trying to progress in weight as much as possible.

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
It deppends. If you're doing 5 exercises, 4 sets of each probably you won't be able to do any productive work later on the same week. In order to raise the frequency (and i think that could help you) you should lower the volume. Hit everything twice a week and see what happens.

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

Wednesday I did flat bench, incline machine, fly machine and dips
The reason I have that split is because the guy I workout with has that split and it makes it so we can work out together.
Storm/Philosopher, like a M-upper, T-lower, TH-upper, F-lower?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Wednesday I did flat bench, incline machine, fly machine and dips
The reason I have that split is because the guy I workout with has that split and it makes it so we can work out together.
Storm/Philosopher, like a M-upper, T-lower, TH-upper, F-lower?

What do you do???

One person says they do flat bench and it means three sets of eight, another says it and they mean they do 10 sets of 3 with 90% of max. Big difference!

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
no one can be good at everything... having said that .. lol

if you want to increase poundages, I would suggest less exercises and less sets, like for 4 exercises max 10 sets, and lift in the 90%-95% of your RM, do mostly compound moves.

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
Upper/lower is an option. Some people preffer a push/pull split. If you want to focus on strength gains have a look at Wendler's 5/3/1 (someone had to say it).

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Good work in pimping the Lord Wendler Storm!

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Its ok, but more isnt always better! Why not try an upperbody/lowerbody type split and use mostly compound movements while trying to progress in weight as much as possible.

Bingo. Decrease daily volume and hit it more frequently for a change.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
You've got two options basically.

1/ Increase frequency: change your routine to a 2x/week push/pull or upper/lower or a 3x/week fullbody. For a beginner level lifter I would probably suggest one of these, making sure you add weight to the bar each session if you hit the prescribed reps in the last session. Starting Strength or Bill Starr's 5x5 are good 3x/week strength builders or a simple Push/Pull split could go:

Push
Squat
Bench
Lunges
Military Press
Cable Pushdown

Pull
Deadlift
Pullups
Leg Curls
Bent Row
BB Curl
Or Upper/Lower...

Upper
Bench Press
Bent Row
Military Press
Pullups
Dips/Curls

Lower
Squat
Deadlift
Lunges
Leg Press
Calf Raises/Leg Curls

This will probably only work if you can convince your training partner to join you.

2/Adopt more of a strength building template for your chest/bench day eg. 5/3/1, 5x5, 8x3, etc. This would be easier to fit in with your training partner if he doesn't want to change his split. I'd recommed 5/3/1, its easy to follow and there are excel sheets available that map your cycles out for you.

Edit: Actually with your current split you'd quite easily be able to run 5/3/1 as a full program. Shoulder day would be Mil Press day, Legs: Squats, Chest: Bench, and Back: Deadlift. All you would need to do is hit 3 working sets of your main lifts at the start of each session then run along and play bodybuilder with your training partner for the rest of the assistance work. Do a search for "Wendler 5/3/1" and you will find a fair bit of info on the program.

Last edited:
Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
^^

Listen to him. He might be a small man but he knows his ****.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I would have said compact... but whatever lol

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I prefer "concentrated dose"...