• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Omega3 vs Omega369

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hi guys,

Couple of months ago I added 2 pills of Omega3 to my diet each day (3 pills a day is the recommended dosage). Now I ran out of it, and I was wondering if a Omega369 would do any better than my current Omega3s. I read somewhere we eat (90% of the people) enough Omega6 and Omega9 in our food, but usually not a correct amount of Omega3.

Would be correct sticking to Omega3 or should I give a tried to multi-omegas pill?

EDIT:

Omega3 pills content:
- Fish oil: 1000mg
- EPA: 180mg
- DHA: 120mg
- DPA: 36mg
-> Total amount of O3s: 180 + 120 + 36 = 336mg per serving

Multi-Omega pills content:
- Fish oil: 400mg
- Linseed oil: 400mg
- Omega3: 235mg
- Omega6: 176mg
- Omega9: 180mg

Last edited:
FEVER

FEVER

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
f you eat plenty of fish I would use 3-6-9 but if not, just go with pure omega-3

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I would buy a cold processed flax seed oil if i were you. It is 8 or 9 $ for 12oz bottle, but that bottle should have 6-7G Omega-3 FA 2g O6 2G O9 per 1TBSP. The highly unsaturated oils should never smell or have a foggy/opaque look to them. If they do they have been oxidized and their structure has been changed which effects their function, and that is not what you are paying for.

Omega 3 fatty acids are essential as are omega 6. As you mentioned above most diets contain ample amounts of omega 6 fatty acid, and omega-9 fatty acids can be synthesized by our bodies as long as we are no deficient in omega-3,6. The ration for O3:O6 is 1:3 or 1:4 depending on the research you observe. Their are no RDA's establised for these fatty acids just that they do in fact play a role in physiology. When O3 and O6 are absent problems arise with the nervous system and to a slightly lesser degree with the immune system. EPA is synthesized in adequate amounts form O3 precursors found in foods. DHA is synthesized from O3 precursors found in foods but the amount is smaller than that of EPA.

Ben

Last edited:
M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Thanks for the input, but if ratio between O3 and O6 should be 1:3 or 1:4, why in hell my multi-omega offers 1.33 : 1 ratio? What a mess of supplement it should be, regarding to the studied you read.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Thanks for the input, but if ratio between O3 and O6 should be 1:3 or 1:4, why in hell my multi-omega offers 1.33 : 1 ratio? What a mess of supplement it should be, regarding to the studied you read.

I apologize the ratio is 3:1 or 4:1 you should be taking in more O3 to less O6. I reread what i typed and was definitely mistaken. The reason different supplements offer different ratios is b/c they are selling a product and want to be marketable to as many people as possible. Different diseases have been studied and the correlations made bt the 3/6 ratio vary depending on what disease is being studied. The reoccurring theme is that the ratio is more omega 3 fatty acids to omega 6 fatty acids is what is beneficial. The idea is that O6 fatty acids promote inflammation more so than O3 fatty acids. And O3 have shown to be "anti inflammatory" bc they are associated with less inflammation. The mechanisms are both direct and indirect for why O3 do this. Less inflammation is observed when higher O3:lower O6 is ingested. So if the ratio of O3:O6 is more o3 to o6 we theorize that we will not promote inflammation as much but even that is confined with a range of total fatty acid ingestion. IF the ratio is Low O3 to a higher O6 that we will promote more inflammation. Inflammation is associated with a lot of diseases. That is a simple way of putting it without being descriptive about the chemistry. As i was saying before the problem is that different studies show that different ratios are beneficial for different diseases. But the reoccurring theme is more O3 to a lesser amount of O6 is what is beneficial, but we do need both O3 and O6. All my knowledge is about specific dosages for patients with different diseases bc that is what I am trained to do. I provide medical Nutrition therapy for patients in diseased states.

HEre is a free online journal, investigate and see what you think about the matter.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...3a99dd7b992c41d4e8a5d5601ab01d6d&searchtype=a

This is a book on the subject.
http://books.google.com/books?hl=en...NZokkAYQ0nHXc3ZimDSU3C8JA#v=onepage&q&f=false

The recommendation of which supp you should take really depends on what you are eating. If you are eating red meat and chicken then you should take the O3 tablet, but if you are eating a lot of oily fish higher in O3 then you should take the 369 tablet.
Ben

Last edited:
M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I apologize the ratio is 3:1 or 4:1 you should be taking in more O3 to less O6. I reread what i typed and was definitely mistaken. The reason different supplements offer different ratios is b/c they are selling a product and want to be marketable to as many people as possible. Different diseases have been studied and the correlations made bt the 3/6 ratio vary depending on what disease is being studied. The reoccurring theme is that the ratio is more omega 3 fatty acids to omega 6 fatty acids is what is beneficial. The idea is that O6 fatty acids promote inflammation more so than O3 fatty acids. And O3 have shown to be "anti inflammatory" bc they are associated with less inflammation. The mechanisms are both direct and indirect for why O3 do this. Less inflammation is observed when higher O3:lower O6 is ingested. So if the ratio of O3:O6 is more o3 to o6 we theorize that we will not promote inflammation as much but even that is confined with a range of total fatty acid ingestion. IF the ratio is Low O3 to a higher O6 that we will promote more inflammation. Inflammation is associated with a lot of diseases. That is a simple way of putting it without being descriptive about the chemistry. As i was saying before the problem is that different studies show that different ratios are beneficial for different diseases. But the reoccurring theme is more O3 to a lesser amount of O6 is what is beneficial, but we do need both O3 and O6. All my knowledge is about specific dosages for patients with different diseases bc that is what I am trained to do. I provide medical Nutrition therapy for patients in diseased states.

HEre is a free online journal, investigate and see what you think about the matter.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...3a99dd7b992c41d4e8a5d5601ab01d6d&searchtype=a

This is a book on the subject.
http://books.google.com/books?hl=en...NZokkAYQ0nHXc3ZimDSU3C8JA#v=onepage&q&f=false

The recommendation of which supp you should take really depends on what you are eating. If you are eating red meat and chicken then you should take the O3 tablet, but if you are eating a lot of oily fish higher in O3 then you should take the 369 tablet.
Ben

What a great post. Thanks a lot for this, I would now read the article you linked but a priori I'll stick to the Omega3 tablet; I eat chicken daily and 2 cans of tuna, but my chicken intake is bigger than tuna's, so I'll stick to Omega3.

Thanks again for your help.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
awesome! You are welcome.

P

Pioneer

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I found this information useful as well, Thanks for your post Ben.

Teiki

Teiki

I would buy a cold processed flax seed oil if i were you.
What would you say to the argument that flaxseed oil is not as easily assimilated by the body as animal sources of Omega 3s like Fish Oil?

It's my understanding that flaxseed oil contains high amounts of ALA, which your body has to convert to EPA & DHA. I've heard this conversion isn't very efficient.

On the other hand, Fish Oil contains EPA & DHA to begin with, so no conversion is needed.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What would you say to the argument that flaxseed oil is not as easily assimilated by the body as animal sources of Omega 3s like Fish Oil?

It's my understanding that flaxseed oil contains high amounts of ALA, which your body has to convert to EPA & DHA. I've heard this conversion isn't very efficient.

On the other hand, Fish Oil contains EPA & DHA to begin with, so no conversion is needed.

I agree fish oils are a better source of epa and dha. Look at the posts after the one you quoted. We discussed onl the fish oils bc of the xact point you just made. Ala has been shown to have other health benefits though so don't exclude it entirely. Ala benefits are based mostly in disease prevention.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Kavon

Kavon

Omega-6 oils are plentifully available in foods. Actually, there is an overconsumption of Omega-6 in today's industrialized societies. Most products contain polyunsaturated oils and those are all very high in Omega-6 fatty acids. When it comes to consuming oils as supplements, it's a good idea to only be supplementing with Omega-3 products. You can also obtain them from foods. For example, from walnuts and fatty fish like salmon and mackerel. It's even found plentifully in some vegetables, like purslane. Purslane is the vegetable with the highest amount of Omega-3.

Kavon

Kavon

I would buy a cold processed flax seed oil if i were you.

What you say is true. There are various reasons why Omega-3 (ALA) might not be converted in high amounts into DHA. But the body converts more of it to DHA when needed. Don't forget that fish oils sold as supplements have already gone rancid to various degrees, due to the way these supplements are produced.

If you're worried about whether you're getting enough DHA, and you'd rather not consume fish oil supplements, there are plant-based DHA supplements that you could use. DHA is being extracted from algae and sold that way, and it doesn't have the rancidity of fish oils.

Fortachon

Fortachon

It could be a good combination if you take the Multi-Omega pills along with some B Complex pills, it's actually one of the best combinations I have ever seen, it was recommended to my by an old trainer of mine, however, if you're just looking to take Omega 3, then I would definitely recommend you to take the Multi-Omega ones, it has everything in just one pill, by the way, remember not to abuse them, good luck.