• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Practical advice for building a FREAKY BACK?

V

ViKtoricus

I'm new to this forum! My name is Bee (real life name) and I am currently training in an olympic-style weightlifting program. My goal is to Clean+Jerk 405 pounds before doing ANY form of bodybuilding at all...

Okay...

Fast forward, I reached my goal, but I now want to transition to bodybuilding! And at that moment, what I care for is building a HYOOGE, thick, wide back. I mean the ENTIRE back, including your hamstrings and glutes!

:grin:

Within that time, I would be someone who have been extremely tempered with super-heavy, high frequency training (bulgarian-style).

What training program should I do at that moment? What are some advice you can give me as far as building a HYOOGE back?

Replies would be highly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Damn you clean jerk 405? good job! ...

IMO i think Deadlifts would be #1 since they hit the entire posterior of your body.. Barbell rows, dumbell rows and pull ups are a must aswell. ATG squats would also be great since they hit your hamstrings and glutes really well.

V

ViKtoricus

Umm, no. lol. I don't clean+jerk that much weight. it is my lifetime goal. lol.

But thanks. Matt Kroczaleski has a new article about back training. It's at t-nation and it does describe the necessities of the things you mentioned!

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Aside from those excercises i mentioned... it will take a lot of protein and a lot of years.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
DIllated said it. Be patient, train hard, rest, eat, repeat.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
well welcome Victoricus, and I hope you stay active for a long time here.

has for your question, you want a big back side with a sting and everything to match your name bee right?

the exercises Dilated mentioned must be incorporated, but a bad ass back is determined by genetics also dont forget that.

but the following should improve your back.

your back is a muscle that by nature can handle heavy weights and responds better that way, it is also a tricky muscle to train cause you have to mentally take out your arms from the movement and work with angles.

a basic scheme would be something like this:

deadlifts - 4 sets 6-10 reps
lat close grip pulldown - 4 sets 12-15 reps
bb row - 3-4 sets 10-15 reps
lat pulldown wide grip - 3 sets 15-20 reps
db row 3 sets 12-15 reps

try to increase the weight progressively has you reach the high-end of the rep scheme. you should rotate the exercises and include other variations like pull-ups, seated rows, under hand bb row, T-row or pull overs from week to week.

By doing this you really can improve your back.

as for the lower part:

leg extensions - 6 sets 12-20 reps
squats 4 sets 15-20 reps
bb lunges walking - gym lenght - 4 laps
bb stiff deads - 3 sets 12-20 reps
leg curl - 4 sets - 12-20 reps
calves

remember walking lunges is your friend they'll work your quads and beat up your hams and glutes giving you that freaky backside.

S

sammerthehammer

You can do all the best mass building exercises u want to, but it wont build u a big back if ur not performing the exercise right. The biggest problem most ppl have when it comes to back training is that they pull too much with their arms and dont isolate the lats as much. Best tip i can give u is when doing ur back exercises (pull downs rows etc) try using some straps and a thumbless grip, and think of your hands just as hooks being attached to the bar then pull from your elbows and not from your hands.

V

ViKtoricus

Thanks everyone!

lol. I just got done with my weightlifting session today. As usual, entire lower body and traps are pumped...

I will now do another training session later during the day. Don't ask me why. I'm following a training program from Bulgaria. ;)

The only beef that I have is that my lats are NEVER engaged enough with these types of workouts. I definitely am going to need to work on them when I make the switch to bodybuilding...